• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Cookies! (Recipe and Photos)

mr_rebecca

Young Bun
When researcing new foods for my bunnies to try, I found a recipe for Bunny Cookies, and just had to try it.
I found the recipe here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080206160740AARvnJP (If you wrote the recipe please comment and tell me where I went wrong!)

So I went out this morning and bought Organic Rolled Oats, Pure Clear Honey, An Apple, and A Carrot. And when I got in I got a nice big handful of bunny food and got to work.

IMAG0452.jpg

Now, I didn't follow the recipe exactly, mainly because I couldn't. I currently don't have a blender, so I wasn't sure how to puree the apple and carrot, or turn the oats and bunny pellets into a powder... So I just did the best I could. I put the bunny pellets in a bag and hit it with the rolling pin. They stayed exactly the same. The oats were pretty powdery anyway, so I just left them. The carrot I decided to grate, and I actually think this worked pretty well. So i grated about half of that, and then tried it with the apple. This did not work :p So i ended up dicing the apple into the smallest pieces i could. I then added the honey and then added a tiny bit more since I seemed to have rather alot of dry mixture compared the the tiny amount of honey I added. I then Mixed it all up, and was pleased to see it beginning to stick together :D I rolled them into little balls and pressed the flat on the baking tray.

IMAG0444.jpg

And per instructions, I put them in the oven at 170°C for 20 minutes :D

IMAG0447.jpg

Im really pleased with how they have turned out, and only plan to give them to my buns sparingly as a super yummy well done treat. Im not sure how long they'll last for - not long I suspect, but Im hoping they'll be fine for at least a week (Since its my little boy Peanuts birthday on the 22nd). I think these might be the things I only make for special occasions since i don't want to end up with chubby bunnies.

IMAG0457.jpg

So if anyone has any comments on how I can make them healthier or just generally better please let me know! Or if the recipe is yours, or you have made them exactly as detailed in the recipe then I would love you to comment and give me a few tips for how to get them just right.
If you have any recipes of your own I would love to hear them too :)

Im waiting for them to cool right now, but ill probably try half of one out on my buns tonight to see what they think :D

They look tasty! :) I really must make some of these for my buns! Have your buns tried them yet? What do they think?

Try different veg and fruit or even fresh herbs. Carrot and apple aren't the best fruit/veg for buns, despite the cartoons.

Deffo feed carefully....these are a rich treat. Banana and honey = sugar, oats and pellets = calories.......

You could try adding chopped hay.

I generally stick to natural treats these days....fresh or dried fruit/veg/herbs/leaves/flowers/twigs. Variety is the spice of life and all that ;)

I occassionally make biscuits for my bunnies.
I dont have a blended either and was trying to find ways to turn the pellets into dust! In the end I soaked them in a little boiling water (not too much or they wont cook properly) chopped the veg/herbs up and mixed them in and then cooked them.

@Captain Helen
Yes they have, and they wolfed them down :p So im going to take that as a roaring success! Im really pleased. Going to check them in the morning to make sure everything is ok, and that it wasn't too rich for them :3 So ill be posting again then.

@TeflonsShadow
My rabbits rarely get carrot, since pretty much all of the journals, books and websites I have read have always advised them rarely and in moderation, however the recipe said that carrot works particuly well, and I have to agree that it really did. I only used about half of the carrot, and this was to make a large number of treats for 2 bunnies where they're only going to get a maximum 1 per day so im not too worried about it. And I used apple since the other furit it suggested was Banana and I wasn't happy giving the buns something that contained both Banana and Honey. I doubt they'd fit through the cage door if I had haha.
I love the chopped hay idea though, and I will try that next time, not sure how well the hay will do in the oven though? But I guess Ill never know until I try!
I try to stick to natural treats but I just really wanted to make them something for when its their birthdays! I know it sounds a bit sad but it makes me feel more of a Mummy! For my Pennys birthday I got her a special treat of Twigs, dried leaves, and Lots of dried dandilions as she adores these, but I just wished I could have made something. A birthday "Salad" is just not as exciting as Birthday "cookies" Lol

Back