• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny-approved clickers

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I want to use clicker training to teach Casper to jump in a box so I can pick him up, since he hates being picked up so much, but I'm having trouble finding a quiet clicker. I've tried several clickers that were supposed to be quiet and found them all uncomfortably loud, and if I find them too loud, they must be too loud for bunny ears, too. I tried the most recent one yesterday and Casper flinched every time I used it, so that's not a good one, either. I don't know if anyone here uses clicker training with their animal friends, but does anyone maybe know any actual quiet ones?

You could use a ballpoint pen - the ones where you click the end. Or even a verbal marker.

You would just need to charge the sound initially, like you would with an actual clicker.... ie. click the pen/say the word then treat & repeat 10 to 20 times so that the sound predicts the incoming food.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

You could use a ballpoint pen - the ones where you click the end. Or even a verbal marker.

You would just need to charge the sound initially, like you would with an actual clicker.... ie. click the pen/say the word then treat & repeat 10 to 20 times so that the sound predicts the incoming food.

Oh, a clicky pen! That could work! The book I read said verbal markers don't work as well since they don't sound the same each time the way a clicker does? But I bet bunnies are clever enough to know you're saying the same thing even if it doesn't sound exactly the same... I'll try both with Casper and see if they work. Thank you! :D

You're right, something with a consistent sound is going to be easiest for the rabbits to pick up initially.

But, as long as you're not using a totally different tone of voice/volume etc, a word can still work - ideal is to pick something short that you don't use much in ordinary conversation. Or you could click with your tongue, for example.

I'd experiment with it anyway. You'd be looking for them to be anticipating food every time they hear the noise so, if that doesn't seem to be happening, you might need to try an alternative.

You're right, something with a consistent sound is going to be easiest for the rabbits to pick up initially.

But, as long as you're not using a totally different tone of voice/volume etc, a word can still work - ideal is to pick something short that you don't use much in ordinary conversation. Or you could click with your tongue, for example.

I'd experiment with it anyway. You'd be looking for them to be anticipating food every time they hear the noise so, if that doesn't seem to be happening, you might need to try an alternative.

Ah, I see! A word or clicking with my tongue would be pretty handy, as I'd have my hands free... The book never explained how you're supposed to hold a clicker, a target stick, and a treat to give when you only have two hands. :? I will do some experimenting, yes, and see if he picks up on the sound-food connection.

3 hands would come in handy. [emoji38] I have no coordination so clicking, treating and walking all at the same time were a real test too lol!

The timing of the marker is the important bit - you want that to be at the precise moment you see the behaviour you want. With the treat itself it won't matter if there's a slight delay, so you could maybe have them in a bowl on the side so that you can quickly reach in.

3 hands would come in handy. [emoji38] I have no coordination so clicking, treating and walking all at the same time were a real test too lol!

The timing of the marker is the important bit - you want that to be at the precise moment you see the behaviour you want. With the treat itself it won't matter if there's a slight delay, so you could maybe have them in a bowl on the side so that you can quickly reach in.

They would! :lol: Oh, no, I can see why that was a challenge, doing that all at once. :lol:

Ah, see, the book I read said you had to give the treat within half a second after the click, so I thought, that's only possible if I'm already holding the treat close to Casper. But you think it's fine to take a tiny bit longer to get a treat from a bowl? That would make it easier.

Yeah, it's fine to take a little bit longer to produce the food.... I'd say anything up to 3 or 4 seconds but I'm not sure I've ever seen exact timings mentioned.

As long as you make sure the sound comes at the right time, and it's always followed by a treat very soon after, Casper will know that means he's done something which will earn him a reward.

When you're charging/loading the clicker/verbal marker initially, I would deliver the food a bit quicker, just to help pair the association between noise & food.... but that should be easier because you'll only need 2 hands for that. [emoji38]

That's really helpful, thank you! A few seconds sounds a lot more doable, and, yes, when I only need two hands, I should be able to do it faster. :lol:

Thank you! I will! I tried the loading/charging yesterday evening (I decided to try with a word first), but after just a few times Casper got bored and walked away. :lol: I tried again some time later and he quickly got bored and walked away again. I was even using his favourite treats! I'll try a few more times, see if he'll make the connection between the word and the treat, but it seems I'll have to keep it short. ;)

[emoji38] It sounds like little and often is the way to go for Casper.

Oh dear :lol: Well you thread gave me a giggle anyway. The boy obviously thinks training is beneath him no matter how great the bribes

I've given up. [emoji38] He wasn't making the connection at all. I'll have to think of something else!
Oh no! [emoji38]

I inadvertently trained my bunnies to return to their kennel/run after free range time by shaking the food bag & feeding their pellets when they came home. Over time this evolved to me shaking the bag & them flying down the garden to get inside. [emoji38] You could try similar with the box.

Oh dear :lol: Well you thread gave me a giggle anyway. The boy obviously thinks training is beneath him no matter how great the bribes
I'm glad at least someone got something out of my attempt at training him, even if it's only a giggle. :lol: I think you're right. I thought he'd do anything for treats, but I was clearly wrong!

Oh no! [emoji38]

I inadvertently trained my bunnies to return to their kennel/run after free range time by shaking the food bag & feeding their pellets when they came home. Over time this evolved to me shaking the bag & them flying down the garden to get inside. [emoji38] You could try similar with the box.

:lol:

The magic of the food bag being shaken. :lol: That's a good idea. He used to come when he heard the food bag, but now their food comes in a plastic bucket thing and he doesn't anymore. Maybe I can put it in bag and shake it. ;)

Back