• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny and sore eyes

sofie

New Kit
I have 2 bunnies who are boys. One of the bunnies the other day started to get a little bald patch/bulge in his upper eyelid on the right hand side and had a tiny bit of mucus. I took him to the vets that day to get him checked over and they said they could not see anything that look sinister and said he has either potentially got a piece of hay maybe stuck/scratched his eye or could be the start of conjunctivitis which they said is common is younger bunnies. They are not that young but they are 9 months old. They put the dye in his eye to see if it showed a scratch but they said it didn't but they were not highly concerned by it and gave me some of those acid type drops and said to put one drop in his eye twice a day for 5-7 days. i have been doing this but i am concerned because although there has been absolutely no mucus since he went to the vet, his eyelid looks so sore and a bit dry where i think the other bun has been constantly licking/nibbling at it to groom him which i have tried to stop as much as possible but i cannot be with them 24/7. The vet also mentioned that the conjunctivitis can transfer to the other eye and if this happens then to put drops in that eye as well. there is a little bulge again on the upper eyelid of the left eye now but it doesn't look sore to be honest. He is completely fine in himself and is eating normally. I can't tell if he is a bit lethargic or not to be honest because some moments he is binkying around but then others he seems a bit slow and will sit there with his eyes squinted. I have also noticed that over the past week both my bunnies don't seem to be drinking much which also really concerns me but then i don't know if i am just being totally paranoid. Has anyone else had any of these issues before and if so can someone reassure me if the eye thing is normal and if it will pass (he is on day 4 of the eyedrops today but the eye looks more sore than it did when i saw the vet and his eyelid looks a bit bald but i think this is where the other bun keeps licking him) or can someone tell me if i need to call the out of hours vet to get this checked out today.

I have 2 bunnies who are boys. One of the bunnies the other day started to get a little bald patch/bulge in his upper eyelid on the right hand side and had a tiny bit of mucus. I took him to the vets that day to get him checked over and they said they could not see anything that look sinister and said he has either potentially got a piece of hay maybe stuck/scratched his eye or could be the start of conjunctivitis which they said is common is younger bunnies. They are not that young but they are 9 months old. They put the dye in his eye to see if it showed a scratch but they said it didn't but they were not highly concerned by it and gave me some of those acid type drops and said to put one drop in his eye twice a day for 5-7 days. i have been doing this but i am concerned because although there has been absolutely no mucus since he went to the vet, his eyelid looks so sore and a bit dry where i think the other bun has been constantly licking/nibbling at it to groom him which i have tried to stop as much as possible but i cannot be with them 24/7. The vet also mentioned that the conjunctivitis can transfer to the other eye and if this happens then to put drops in that eye as well. there is a little bulge again on the upper eyelid of the left eye now but it doesn't look sore to be honest. He is completely fine in himself and is eating normally. I can't tell if he is a bit lethargic or not to be honest because some moments he is binkying around but then others he seems a bit slow and will sit there with his eyes squinted. I have also noticed that over the past week both my bunnies don't seem to be drinking much which also really concerns me but then i don't know if i am just being totally paranoid. Has anyone else had any of these issues before and if so can someone reassure me if the eye thing is normal and if it will pass (he is on day 4 of the eyedrops today but the eye looks more sore than it did when i saw the vet and his eyelid looks a bit bald but i think this is where the other bun keeps licking him) or can someone tell me if i need to call the out of hours vet to get this checked out today.

Can you post a photo of the sore eye ?

Are both Rabbits fully vaccinated ?

Back