• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies behaviour changed after neuter

Amundawah

New Kit
Hi,
My buns (both male) have become really destructive (and picky) after being neutered. Almost immediately after the operation they both started chewing at things they never showed any interest in before like the wooden ramp in their cage (which is now all splintered), throwing out all the litter from their trays and completely ignoring their hay racks and bottle and only eating and drinking from bowls, regardless of if they're in their cage or their run.
I was just wondering if this is normal and how I can stop the destruction, they have plenty of toys and wood chews and digging boxes, that's they could rip to shreds and they're definitely not bored as they spend most of the time out of the cage... I thought neutering would calm them down not make them crazier!

Chewing on everything is quite common when they are in pain so depending on when they were neutered that could be the reason. If not then I'm afraid I have no idea as I haven't had this experience.

Neutering has possibly confused their relationship for now, things are different. Hopefully they will settle down again in time - how old are they and are they brothers?

Neutering is done around the time that their teenage hormones arrive. This is all perfectly natural rabbit behaviour.

How big is their set up? The advised minimum is 10 foot by 6 foot with permanent access to the run (included in the size there).

Thanks for the replies.
They seem to have settled down a bit now and are back to using their hay racks (although shunning their water bottles completely) so I'm assuming it was just the change in relationship due to the neuter.
The thing now is that one of the buns is humping the other again. I thought that was meant to stop about neutering??? He's really upsetting the other and he'll nip to get away. I just don't know what to do to stop it because the humping was becoming a real issue before they were neutered and resulting in huge fights.

We assume they're brothers, they have very similar markings but the lady we got them from didn't know (she had got them from a pet shop). She wasn't sure of their age either but the vet thinks they're around 8 months old now. They have a two floored cage with a run attached to it and it's around 10 foot by 6, more or less but it's an awkward shape so hard to be specific. We put them in the cage at night to sleep, because they have a tendency to try and launch themselves over the run if we don't, but the rest of the time they have access to the run.

Last edited:
Back