• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bulging eyes

is your bun eating and drinking normally? I don't know any bun that has an enlarge heart. However, a friend of mine has that same problem, and it causes him some issue thru out the years, but he's still alive and well.

Since there isn't a lot you can do, just look at your bun, is he happy? Is he enjoying life and has good diet? If so, and you assume the worst, then I would just spoil your bun from now on w/ more daily bunny treats

is your bun eating and drinking normally? I don't know any bun that has an enlarge heart. However, a friend of mine has that same problem, and it causes him some issue thru out the years, but he's still alive and well.

Since there isn't a lot you can do, just look at your bun, is he happy? Is he enjoying life and has good diet? If so, and you assume the worst, then I would just spoil your bun from now on w/ more daily bunny treats

Yes apart this condition everything seems normal - pooping, eating, drinking, playing. She's a house bunny. She plays outside when it's not too cold or wet. She has a good diet. She's very spoilt. I like to think she's happy. I've had her since she was 3 months, (January 5 years ago from a rescue). Whatever happens, I love her very much and I think she knows that...

Anthony & Max & Harlie

I think you're taking it pretty well, although your bunny seems very happy in herself anyway I suppose you don't need to worry or panic a great deal about it. I bet it is a relief to know what is wrong and know it can be treated, sometimes not knowing whats wrong is more unsettling than knowing.
I'm not really one for 'alternative therapies' but when my Honey had hind leg paralysis I would give her sort of massages on her hind quarters and shoulders, she seemed to enjoy it as opposed to just a normal stroke behind the ears and she would really chill out. Maybe it would be relaxing for your bun and calm her down a bit? I hope she stays well :)

Yes apart this condition everything seems normal - pooping, eating, drinking, playing. She's a house bunny. She plays outside when it's not too cold or wet. She has a good diet. She's very spoilt. I like to think she's happy. I've had her since she was 3 months, (January 5 years ago from a rescue). Whatever happens, I love her very much and I think she knows that...

Anthony & Max & Harlie

in that case, since there isn't much you can do on the heart problem, just spoil your bun w/ more bunny treat daily, that's what I did w/ Goofball when the vet said she has bone cancer.

I have no reason to doubt Judith (and I hope I'm not misguided here).

I'm sure you're not - Judith is well known to be an excellent vet and as the 'veterinary executive' committee member for the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund I'm sure she's going to be a very clued up bunny vet :)

I hope the meds you've been given help your little one to be more comfortable xxx

I'm very happy with Judith! As I said earlier, I think she's an excellent bunny vet (thanks again Neesh for recommending her to me). I hope she will look after my two for a long time to come (despite the 100 mile round trip!)

We started the medicines on saturday (I wanted to give Harlie a couple of days to recover from her ordeal). Luckily she just eats the Fortekor tablets! Unfortunately I have to do a bunny burrito for the liquid Frusol.

I do have a copy of "The Relaxed Rabbit" - looks like I have no excuses!

I must say big thank you again for everyone's advice and help.
:)

Anthony & Max & Harlie
http://community.webshots.com/user/floptastic

Back