• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a run and hutch

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
So, my Dad has agreed to build me a run and hutch combo. This is only going to be used during the day in the Summer since my buns are indoors. I want my hutch to be 6x3x3ft (I may reduce that to 6x2x2ft depending on how easy it will be to maneuver) and ideally I wanted my run at about 8x4ft. My current run is 6x6ft and I don't really fee like it's big enough for them to really enjoy themselves. Having said that, they get to free range in the garden when I can keep an eye on them.

I have a few questions for anybody who has built a run and hutch before. Mainly the type of wood that is used. I was going to use the tongue-in-groove style wooden boards that sheds are usually made from, rather than a single board. I think this would be stronger and cheaper than using a single board. The wood is rough and untreated, I was going to paint it with one of the cuprinol garden shades. I was going to have the "excersise" area (as people call it) at 4ft with mesh along the front and then 2ft as a little "hidey hole". How does this sound? I have three rabbits and I just want to make sure that they can all fit in the hutch if (god forbid) a dog or fox got into the garden and that they'd feel safe. Do you think an apex roof would be better than a sloping roof? I think it would be easier to have it sloping to the back, but not 100% sure on this.

I want to install a cat flap or something similar. My Dad wants to make an opening himself, but I think a cat flap would be easier and safer for the buns. I'm just not sure where to put it on the hutch. I don't want it on the hidey hole because then they won't feel 100% safe in there, perhaps I will have to make it so that there is only some of the main part of the hutch meshed? I'm not sure yet. :?

How do people attach their runs to the hutches? I was thinking of having one end of the run open and just hook it on with latches or something. I was to make sure that it really is secure. Do you think it would be ok with the little hook and eyes? It would mean that a predator would not be able to get in..I don't think. Anybody got pics of their run/hutch attachments? Also would you double mesh the run?

Sorry for all the rambling and questions. I would really appreciate some advice. :thumb:

How exciting. Bit late at night for me but wanted to reply. Cottontails website shows a really good way of fixing runs to hutches.

I would put the cat flap in the 'exercise' area, mabe you could have half of the door solid instead of the usual mesh???

I have a 6 x 3 x 3 hutch and it is not possible to lift it but is GREAT for Mottle and Peaches to be in. They have a shelf with a jump box and its all lino lined.

Hope it all goes really well. Nice one dad!

How exciting. Bit late at night for me but wanted to reply. Cottontails website shows a really good way of fixing runs to hutches.

I would put the cat flap in the 'exercise' area, mabe you could have half of the door solid instead of the usual mesh???

I have a 6 x 3 x 3 hutch and it is not possible to lift it but is GREAT for Mottle and Peaches to be in. They have a shelf with a jump box and its all lino lined.

Hope it all goes really well. Nice one dad!

:lol: Thanx.

The wood I'm using is light weight, so hopefully I can move it, although It'll probably take two people to move.

I will have a look at Cottontails. Thank you! :thumb:

If you look on cottontails website there is a section for rabbits and guinea pigs in their new homes. My darling Autumn and her son, Sunshine are on there!

Back