• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a dig box?

My rabbits are indoor house bunnies with free roam. However they both show digging behaviour, but have nowhere to dig! Our back yard is all cobbles and concrete, no soil or greens at all. We are looking into building a dig box for them inside (or outside) but we're looking for advice on what to put in t, what to make it from etc. I think it would need to be heavy/stable, as my boys love jumping, balancing, being up high, and the last thing I want is them to stand on the edge and tip the whole thing over! My boyfriend picked up a mix of sands to add, and a lot of places have suggested natural soil or compost you can buy from garden centres. I am a little wary as some seem to contain things like slug pellets, stuff to keep soil moist and so on, not as "pure" as I'd hope. I am UK based, we live in rural Wales, so any help would be great!

Hi, not sure about inside, but in the garden we've used my ds's old sandpit. It's one of those turtle ones with a lid, which we have filled with children's play sand. We dampen it down a bit and with the sand it's really heavy and not going anywhere x

I made a dig box using a large metal pot and shredded paper.

I tried one using earth but they just pee'd in it!

I made a dig box using a large metal pot and shredded paper.

I tried one using earth but they just pee'd in it!

Ok so we got a plastic tub and used a mix of play sand, grit and shredded paper, and all they wanted to do was eat it! And I mean eat the grit AND sand AND paper! We need a safe, edible alternative, I clearly have nibbly boys....

Back