• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bubble and Diet

Peridot

Young Bun
Hi there

I am new to the Forum and have a two and a half year old Dutch roe called Bubble who put her back out before Christmas. Fortunately we have managed to save her tho she has moved inside and become a house rabbit. We have not had her that long and I have been doing a lot of reading on diet.

I am in the process of introducing her to Timothy hay and have read that apple and willow twigs can be beneficial. I have friends who are farmers and so have access to both of these. My query is what time of the year the twigs should be taken from the trees and offered or is it an all the year round process? Also can the leaves be offered from both trees and what about pear twigs and leaves?

I also noticed when she lived in our shed , she would eat at random the leaves of small stray brambles in the garden of blackberry and raspberry and wondered if any member knew of a commercial source for these leaves in the North West as I live in Wigan.

Having always been a keeper of dogs, I have found having a rabbit an eye-opener though we are gradually getting used to the work involved in caring for her and keeping an eye on her slight residual disability.

Thanks

Peridot

You can cut branches any time of year though your friends might prefer to stick to normal pruning times. Do make sure they haven't be sprayed with pesticides. I feed apple leaves :) Not sure about pear.

Raspberry and blackberry are great for bunnies. I've been cutting the old raspberry canes for our rabbits this week. You can buy the leaves dried but they are quite expensive. You are probably better picking your own and you could have a go at drying them in summer for winter. Though our raspberries had leaves right up until November/December time anyway. Giving your a feed might get you a bigger crop this year... bunny poop is good fertilizer ;)

Back