• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding Does Living Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously cannot believe I am reading a thread about killing and eating Rabbits on a PET RABBIT Forum.........................

Nuff said.............

I see why people would be shocked.

But to me it's not that different to if somebody made a post saying, "I'm going to have a burger for dinner", or something. Maybe I'm weird for thinking that . . . but that's how I see it.

But to me it's not that different to if somebody made a post saying, "I'm going to have a burger for dinner", or something. Maybe I'm weird for thinking that . . . but that's how I see it.

I don't think it makes you weird but, you are just thinking 'meat' is meat. It's not though when we think about pet's - if someone say's they are going to eat their cat for example we are shocked, revolted even but, in some cultures that is fine. If someone says I am having a burger for dinner we know that they haven't taken the cow out of a shed in their back garden, held it by it's back legs and broken it's neck - then skinned it, chopped it up, cooked it and eaten it and then gone out to the 'other' cows and 'cared' for them. It's a very strange thing to be capable of doing and why so many farmers don't eat their own animals - let alone slaughter themselves.

I don't think it makes you weird but, you are just thinking 'meat' is meat. It's not though when we think about pet's - if someone say's they are going to eat their cat for example we are shocked, revolted even but, in some cultures that is fine. If someone says I am having a burger for dinner we know that they haven't taken the cow out of a shed in their back garden, held it by it's back legs and broken it's neck - then skinned it, chopped it up, cooked it and eaten it and then gone out to the 'other' cows and 'cared' for them. It's a very strange thing to be capable of doing and why so many farmers don't eat their own animals - let alone slaughter themselves.

Yeah I know what you mean. I wouldn't be able to slaughter an animal myself, if I did eat meat.

But I think it's easy sometimes to just buy meat and not think about where it came from.

But it's quite natural to kill animals for food. Not to raise them and then kill them . . . but to kill them yourself is natural, so not really strange. I couldn't do it though.

Yeah I know what you mean. I wouldn't be able to slaughter an animal myself, if I did eat meat.

But I think it's easy sometimes to just buy meat and not think about where it came from.

But it's quite natural to kill animals for food. Not to raise them and then kill them . . . but to kill them yourself is natural, so not really strange. I couldn't do it though.

I think it was natural when we were hunters, I don't think there is anything natural about breeding animals in captivity to kill them with your bare hands - I think it is completely unnecessary and unpleasant and whilst I accept that it is a factor to consider in terms of where and how your food is produced, I personally feel it's enough of a contribution and quite safe to source 'ethical' meat from butchers who support UK farmers in providing relatively natural lives with good welfare standards for their animals - I don't feel the need to start eating every single species of animal either because I can and I could never kill it myself, it's not a fair kill - if I had to hunt it and kill an animal or face starvation then yes, that is fair to a degree and is understandable but, not as a choice when it's not necessity.

I think anyone purchasing rabbit in say Tesco (apparently they sell frozen rabbit meat) is even worse - they clearly couldn't care two hoots about animal welfare to be selling this choice - why shouldn't we sell frozen dog for the oriental people who would like to eat it then? Why shouldn't people be allowed to breed cats for meat? Where is the line drawn?

Ambience, I don't think eating rabbit is common practice in the UK at all, in fact I don't know one person other than the 'breeder' I was unfortunate enough to discover who eats rabbits. I also don't know any butchers in this area who stock rabbit meat, in fact most supermarkets or retailers would not stock rabbit meat if there were no demand so whilst I think it's nice to 'understand' the concept of the UK's 3rd most popular pet being bred, killed and eaten - I don't agree with it or understand the need to do it given there are already a large number of 'meats' to eat available. Of course you have hit the nail on the head - how many people practically can have a herd of cows or a flock of sheep, pigs or even a large number of chickens with a cockerell which is required I believe in order to 'breed' chickens in their back garden ! The reason rabbits are bred for meat in back yards is usually because they are quiet, contained in very small areas and whilst it is personal choice - lets keep perspective on this.

Granted the OP has come on to look for information regarding the rabbits welfare - he has however had a two does for eleven months so has a degree of experience anyway and I haven't seen anyone jumping on him or being rude so I think the warnings about 'likely' responses are a bit unnecessary now to be honest.

I do agree that we are at the top of the food chain, not because naturally we would be but, because we have adapted things that way and control every other living animal - there are lots and lots of animals that are superior to us - we would be prey for them in fact but, we have developed weapons to protect ourselves and control other species. Naturally man is actually a weak animal in comparison to say a lion.

I personally hope that the OP is genuinely going to provide his animals with the standard required for pets so at least they are able to demonstrate the five freedoms that all animals should have - it is their right in any civilised world that we would grant them that at the very least!

Edited to add I don't know anyone who eats goat either:? I thought that was a cultural thing from countries that couldn't raise/slaughter cows?

Ah okay no probs. I did get fed without my knowing rabbit from my ex boyfriend- it was disgusting and full of bones. I don't believe in eating rabbits personally. I was horrified when my other half told me what he had made as i have a deep love and connection to bunnies.

However if rabbits are raised for meat purposes, rather than pets- they have not less right to be slaughtered than a cow or chicken or a sheep. I know people who own, pigs, cows and sheep which have their own personalities. Of course i don't think any animal should be killed- but it is very much how we are designed.

I think for the sake of this forum it would be better not to talk about killing rabbits for meat, as this forum is not directed in such a way. I do think though that if we can guide people to be more responsible in thier care practices before slaughter, that has got to be a good thing.

I've changed my views since seeing horrific utube videos of animal slaughter and cruelty. I think if someone is trying to be loving and caring before eating meat-(whichever meat that may be- it's honourable!)...It's honourable because so many animals we eat go to their death, without the consideration that every animal should be given and i think that to give an animal an outdoor life and some love before it is made into a burger or whatever else, is a real testament to being a good human being.

It shows we are evolving as human beings. At the moment, we fail to live upto a humane standard in our meat industry and that is very sad, which is why i condone, bringing animals up for slaughter in a less conventional home bred manor. I was considering doing this myself, but i too have no heart for slaughter.

Vicki i do empathize with your point of view, and value it deepy, i think that if you are a vegitarian then your argument holds a great amount of weight and its your personal view- however if you eat kfc, macdonalds, or even ready meals- ( as i do) - the tradgedy behind that- chickens just thrown into a grinder(alive), is unbearable, and something that has put me off meat.

On the other hand- i was born to eat meat- look at every menu in the uk- it's full of meat and animal products. The animals which don't eat meat- are normally prey- they are going to be eaten by something or another. Lions are killed by our weapons as we have the intelligance to kill them , which makes us the top predetor on the planet.

Do you know what i'm drunk now so don't listen to me :)))

Lots of love and light xx

Agreed- if you don't eat kfc or burgers, ready meals or anything with non free range in- then this is a proposterous argument. Cows, piggies, sheep and chickens have as much right to be here as bunnies.

I think it was natural when we were hunters, I don't think there is anything natural about breeding animals in captivity to kill them with your bare hands - I think it is completely unnecessary and unpleasant and whilst I accept that it is a factor to consider in terms of where and how your food is produced, I personally feel it's enough of a contribution and quite safe to source 'ethical' meat from butchers who support UK farmers in providing relatively natural lives with good welfare standards for their animals - I don't feel the need to start eating every single species of animal either because I can and I could never kill it myself, it's not a fair kill - if I had to hunt it and kill an animal or face starvation then yes, that is fair to a degree and is understandable but, not as a choice when it's not necessity.

I think anyone purchasing rabbit in say Tesco (apparently they sell frozen rabbit meat) is even worse - they clearly couldn't care two hoots about animal welfare to be selling this choice - why shouldn't we sell frozen dog for the oriental people who would like to eat it then? Why shouldn't people be allowed to breed cats for meat? Where is the line drawn?

I don't see a problem with selling frozen dog or cat or rabbit or human- i don't think one is above the other- obviously our country has it's philosphys and others have theirs.

I think if we started selling frozen human meat, people would open their eyes to how discusting the meat industry actually is!!!! to what we are!!! Killers. And then to maybe we could all have a proper philosophical discussion about this.

It's absolutely neccesary that we dont shelter ourselves from this so we can become better, rather than hide ourselves under clever marketing- by companies like kfc who happily throw chickens to their deaths (alive).

Meat eating runs as deeply as peoples need for survival often- you will eat anything if you have to to survive. This is the truth- anyone would.

You go to a starving person- they will eat a cat, dog, human, fish whatever- if it's life or death its amazing what brings out the human condition the most.

Total poverty and starvation, you will see some of the most prominant examples of what a human being is.

p.s i assume no responsibility for the above last posts as i am getting drunk now :)) hope noone takes offence, lots of love to you all, Love Janey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Meat eating runs as deeply as peoples need for survival often- you will eat anything if you have to to survive. This is the truth- anyone would.

You go to a starving person- they will eat a cat, dog, human, fish whatever
- if it's life or death its amazing what brings out the human condition the most.

Total poverty and starvation, you will see some of the most prominant examples of what a human being is.

I would rather die than eat the flesh of ANY animal.

iam a meat eater ive tryed rabbit one time :evil: i dont see the point in killing them
not enough meat on them i couldnt raise and kill my own though i love my bunnys its up to the person if they eat meat or not i respect both as long
as the animal is treated fairly before and during slaughter i dont have a problem

Prediction/HOPE of the day :

That this stupid thread gets deleted !!!!:censored:

This person has had the advice they wanted about keeping 2 breeding machines together and is just upsetting the forum

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY is this allowed to be discussed

This person is admittingly going to EAT her rabbits

There are places for this time of person - slaughter forums ect. personally i would say they belong in prison.

So as im being careful what i say - from me , from my rabbit here and rabbits everywhere...

Please do the world a favour and

JOG ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realise feelings run high on this one, and I don't want to upset people on here who I have great respect for.

To be fair to the OP he/she only stated they were breeding for meat in response to a question asked right near the beginning of the thread. Ok, so maybe he/she should have told a white lie and pretended they were going to be pets but if you're not going to like the answer, then why ask the question?

Prediction/HOPE of the day :

That this stupid thread gets deleted !!!!:censored:

This person has had the advice they wanted about keeping 2 breeding machines together and is just upsetting the forum

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY is this allowed to be discussed

This person is admittingly going to EAT her rabbits

There are places for this time of person - slaughter forums ect. personally i would say they belong in prison.
So as im being careful what i say - from me , from my rabbit here and rabbits everywhere...

Please do the world a favour and

JOG ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So are you going to send all the farmers and meat eaters to prison too?
If you don't like what is in a thread you don't have to read it or post on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back