• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bramble is ill - HE HAS GONE :

Had a bit of an issue tonight. Vet said he had stasis but had seen worse,he said Bramble looked 'normal'?.

Bramble.was subdued, not moving much and had little or no gut noise. Because I had given enough him Metacam and steroid at home, he gave himstronger pain relief, baytril and gave me zantac to administer at home and also critical care. I asked about the possibility of a blockage due to stasis and this was dismissed offhand..I was concerned that I shouldn't force feed him.if there was a blockage.

He wasn't admitted and I have been sent home to syringe feed him. And need to go to my own vets tomorrow first thing.

He has been taken some recovery food,not much though but has taken about 4 syringes full. Is this a good sign? Should be be be taking more?

Oh bless! Sorry the vet is useless.

I don't know much about amounts of critical care I'm afraid but just wanted to send nose rubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a bit of an issue tonight. Vet said he had stasis but had seen worse,he said Bramble looked 'normal'?.

Bramble.was subdued, not moving much and had little or no gut noise. Because I had given enough him Metacam and steroid at home, he gave himstronger pain relief, baytril and gave me zantac to administer at home and also critical care. I asked about the possibility of a blockage due to stasis and this was dismissed offhand..I was concerned that I shouldn't force feed him.if there was a blockage.

He wasn't admitted and I have been sent home to syringe feed him. And need to go to my own vets tomorrow first thing.

He has been taken some recovery food,not much though but has taken about 4 syringes full. Is this a good sign? Should be be be taking more?

Why is he having Steroids and Metacam ? :shock:They should never be given at the same time :? If this is what he has been receiving then I would insist that the Vet today runs a blood profile to see if he now has kidney and/or liver problems. He may also need IV hydration so admission is likely to be needed.

Poor lad :cry: sending lots of vibes for him xx

How big were your syringes? I went to a rabbit first aid talk at high cross in Bristol that said 1% of the body weight (eg for 3kg rabbit 30mls) every 4-6 hours for feeds. We used the critical care 15mls syringe but Walt would only take one syringe full at most. We used to aim for one and see how we went but he would spit it out. Our own vet said that was ok.

I empathise with the bad oncall vet though, we called on 21st to say he wasn't eating and the vet asked what we wanted him to do!! He said he only hadn't eaten for a few hours and that was normal!!

When our last bunny had a blockage, they go done hill very very fast and he was very floppy and his tummy swelled up. In the early stages before we knew he had a blockage we tried on vet advise to syringe feed but he wouldn't swallow at all. He died 24 hours after first showing signs of not eating (with treatment from the vet).

I hope that helps in some way and is not just scary.

Last edited:
Thanks all

Things not very good. Getting ready to get car warmed up as I need to go back to vets...

Jane.. re_read my post. Predictive text has,changed Emeprid to Steroid?? He was given Baytril, vetergesic ,zantac and emeprid. He has been refusing the syringe with critical care and it's dribbling out. If I try to put a warm towel and snuggles unde r him, he moves away. Doesn't like it.

It's bitterly cold here but I also now have concerns for Willow. She too is lethargic..

Will keep you all posted. thats hubby done with car now..
Fee x

Oh Fee, sorry to read this update. Sending masses more vibes for your little man, and Willow too.

He,was admitted today.. I have to phone at 2_30 for update.... no news yet I'm afraid.. the only good thing is I haven't had a phone call from.them.fingers crossed.

Thanks all.. Fee xxx

Update; no change from this morning, no signs of improvement at all. They are keeping him in overnight..

I feel sick, he has been syringe fed for so long and still no gut sounds. I've never had a bunny that has survived for so long with stasis and not shown a tiny improvement..

I am unsure how long treatment should last before more positive signs. Any advice?

Poor wee man, come on Bramble xxxxxxxxx

Update; no change from this morning, no signs of improvement at all. They are keeping him in overnight..

I feel sick, he has been syringe fed for so long and still no gut sounds. I've never had a bunny that has survived for so long with stasis and not shown a tiny improvement..

I am unsure how long treatment should last before more positive signs. Any advice?

About 20 or so years ago a vet prescribed oral amoxicillin for my rabbit :shock:

He survived it, but went into stasis and I remember syringe feeding him for 11 days. He lived out in the garden in a shed, and it was freezing cold going out there every 3/4 hours .. He went on to live for many more years

Good luck. There is much hope :thumb:

Really sorry your boy has not improved. Has the Vet run any diagnostics to try to establish what the primary cause of his stasis may be ? Has the Vet mentioned if his cecum feels very full/impacted ?

What a worrying time for you, I really hope that he can pull through xx

The vet said if no improvement they would do an xray to see if there's any obvious signs. No impaction noted either,just nothing to speak of. I am beginning to doubt the savvyness of my vet as I would have thought if being fed and nothing passes, surely there must be a blockage of sorts..the food has to.go.somewhere?

They mentioned if critical care feed wasn't working,they would try jarred baby food to.tempt him. I hope something encourages him..and he poos too.

Willow is doing ok considering its so cold outside..bless her,she's sitting in.the run,staring out..2 snugglesafes are in her hideyhouse with tons of straw if she feels cold.

Thanks all..I feel so utterly inadequate. Come on my furry boy...xXxX
Fee x

Vibes for Bramble, hope the vet finds out what's causing it and he's on the mend soon

Back