• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bracken in over night at vets!!! serious! SHES GONE!

SHES HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

no longer dehydtaed but still not right although her belly feels lots better!..

they are thinking this is happening because lack of fibre, she loves her pellets and veggies and lawn grass but not hay and will only eat it at a push. so guess what shes on a hat and grass only diet! :shock: :shock:

the vet as advised no longer feeding pellets at all! saying concentrate is causing lots of problems in bunnys. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

and how about her weight how will she put her weight back on with a hay only diet!?

think i will start a new thread for this

thanks again your thought worked and i am truely thankful :D :D :D

Eve x

I've only just caught up with this Eve, how worrying for you!! But so glad she is home :) Hopefully she will eat the hay + grass only diet, do you think she would be allowed a teaspoon of porridge oats every day? As this put weight back on my bun, her coat looks brill too. The vet didn't think she would make it and she had lost loadsa weight but to look at her now you wouldn't think it was only a couple of months ago!

I think Adele said they can cause belly problems sometimes though, so only a small amount and I mix mine with warm water so it's like porridge. Could be an idea for weight gain once her belly is back to normal :)

Nicola x

just read this and I am glad she is ok :D as for the diet, I have considered putting Coby on Hay only, he has a super sensitive gut, I cant give him any veg, he gets herbs though, and I really have to keep the pellets to a minimum as again, it upsets him to have too many

nicolar said:
I've only just caught up with this Eve, how worrying for you!! But so glad she is home :) Hopefully she will eat the hay + grass only diet, do you think she would be allowed a teaspoon of porridge oats every day? As this put weight back on my bun, her coat looks brill too. The vet didn't think she would make it and she had lost loadsa weight but to look at her now you wouldn't think it was only a couple of months ago!

I think Adele said they can cause belly problems sometimes though, so only a small amount and I mix mine with warm water so it's like porridge. Could be an idea for weight gain once her belly is back to normal :)

Nicola x

hi i will try that nicola when she is out of the woods a bit moe thanks!

eve x

Aw Eve - thank goodness for that :D :D :D
I've been thinking about you all morning and sneaking onto the internet to check for news.
xx

Wendy-Jane said:
Aw Eve - thank goodness for that :D :D :D
I've been thinking about you all morning and sneaking onto the internet to check for news.
xx

arh thanks wendy, i appreicate i have been at my wits end! so thank

Eve x

I know exactly what you mean Eve, re. weight dropping quickly! When Pip had her op a couple of months ago, she had dropped to 2.8kg (normally about 3.5-3.6) and that was in the space of a month or so! During that time I really hadn't realised she had got so skinny but looking back she does look awful!

Luckily the porridge oats worked wonders and she looks brill now :)

This was her just before her op: (she looks so poorly lookin back :()

DSCF1053.jpg

And this is a pic of her at normal weight:

Pippa.jpg

Thank goodness my baby put weight on!!

Nicola

Back