• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boy-to-boy bonding - why isn't it recommended?

Karly

Banned
Just a bit curious as to why boy pairs aren't recommended. At work, I always recommend being wary if taking two brothers, and to get them neutered as soon as they're old enough, that there's no guarantee they'll get along, etc., but I'm giving this advice and not quite knowing the logic of it.
I know two unneutered boys can get hormonal and fight - but if you get rid of the hormones (by neutering), does this mean a neutered male pairing is as 'stable' as a neutered male-spayed female pair?
I've got four boy buns - When I had Mary, I was planning to get him a girlfriend once he was neutered and had waited the correct length to be 'safe'. Then I took on a poorly male bun. Once he was better and neutered, I tried them together. I carried on bonding for a while, and they got to the stage where Joey always wanted to be with Mary, but Mary just didn't want to know and kept hopping off, resulting in Joey chasing him around the run/floor until I split them up.
I then took on another boy bunny, with teeth problems. He had his teeth out and had the snip, waited, then tried him and Mary together. They got on great from the start, and now live together and adore each other. They're forever cuddled up, or sitting side by side pigging out on their diced veg, grooming each other, etc.
I've got my fourth bun now - another male (always seems to be the boys with problems that I feel sorry for! We struggle enough convincing people not to just look at the cute little babies, but no one wants to take on an older bun with teeth problems). Once his teeth are removed and he's had the snip, I was planning on bonding him with Mary and Squishy - they've met very briefly, not been vicious but Rex kept mounting them :roll:
I was discussing it with a friend last night..do rabbits really 'know' if another bun is a boy or a girl? I assume they release pheremones or something we can't smell, but once they're neutered can other buns tell the difference? And do they 'know' they're not supposed to like other boys if they're male themself?
I know it's a common myth that male mice have to be kept on their own, but I've seen groups together that have got along fine. Though I've also seen a pair that got along for a while, then fell out and attacked each other (though the cage wasn't big enough for one, let alone a pair). There's also a myth that male rats can't be housed together, or that you can't introduce non-related males, when this has been done successfully by many people (including myself). I do have lone male rats, but all have health conditions which I think makes them want to be left on their own (one has a severe headtilt that didn't clear up with meds, and is very aggressive to rats and people, another has very sensitive skin and doesn't like people or other rats touching him - I have his aunt and she's the same, though I've managed to introduce her to two older rats and they're fine, the cage is big enough that she can get well away from them when she wants to, and the other two boys are so elderly they just need a retirement cage on their own to age/die in peace - when with other rats, they just didn't want to know)

Karly I think you have raised some good questions in your post and look forward to reading the answers. :D

I think a lot depends on the nature of the boy bunnies ... if they are layed back chilled bunnies maybe they bond easier?

As many of you know I have three boys that live together in total harmony and are all totally devoted to each other but they are virtually horizontal they are SOOOO layed back :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another major factor in easy bonding I think is .... them living in close proximity for a good length of time, so they can see and smell each other 24/7 That way they know each other well before they get put together. Well it worked 100% for me :D

It's certainly possible to bond boys but it doesn't work as reliably as other pairings.

Your right, pheromones mean they can tell girls and boys apart and though I imagine neutered-boy smells different to intact-boy and don't think it would be the same smell as neutered-girl.

Boys are naturally rivals they compete to be the chief male in their warren and get all the pretty girls. The other males either have to be submissive or they get chased of (very agressively).

If you've got boys that aren't interested in being boss then bonding could work. The trouble comes when you have two boys that both want to be the alpha male. The fighting can be very vicious and often in a pet siutation there is nowhere for the other to run and hide.

Females on the other hand are a little less territorial (apart from over their nest) and although there is a head-girl they don't fight over territory quite like the boys do.

I'm reading The Private Life of the Rabbit at the moment which is really interesting. It's observations of a colony of wild rabbits and how the social structure works.

Tam

So would two submissive/non-boss males be likely to get along for the rest of their life? Obviously not guaranteed, but neither is female-female/male-female pairing, but would it be along the same likeness of working out as these?

I have two pairs of bonded boys, one pair have been together since they were born the other have just recently gone together but one boy is very submisive and is happy to sit in the background so it works quite well. i have 2 other males that i wouldn't even try bonding to another male as they are both bolshy and would want to be top bunny!

i have two boys living together within a group of four girls, i know what girl is to girl but cant work out what boy is! :?

and i also have two brother that are really bonded, i want to try to bond these into the group of six, but do worry that if it dont work out it may cause problems with the boys afterwards! :?

eve x

Well I think either one of my boys can't tell the difference or has turned gay..... i have 2 bonded boys who live together very happily so much so that Roo was trying to mount splats the other day.....and it didn't look like in a dominance or fighting type of way....lol......so maybe Roo can't tell the difference.

well it all comes down to instint...and their instinct is to reproduce...i had two sisters toegther from birth which every spring wud hump eachother...which i found..well...interesting to say the least...considering the fact neither of them were neutured...and the fact tht as they were both girls...why on earth they wud be doing the humping??? i didnt get tht at all...anyone shed sum light haha...not lesbian sisters plzzz...lol

Karly said:
So would two submissive/non-boss males be likely to get along for the rest of their life? Obviously not guaranteed, but neither is female-female/male-female pairing, but would it be along the same likeness of working out as these?

Not necessarily. It's not uncommon for two boys that have been living happily together to start fighting. It can be trigged by the change in season, the scent of a female rabbit or a new territory (hutch). Even seperating one rabbit for a vet trip. Anything that could make the lower ranking male think he might have a chance at the top rank.

Female-male pairs are less likely to fight because that's not part of their instincts. A female might get cross with a male thats annoying her or might chase him away from her burrow is she has kits but they don't have the same kicking screaming fights males do.

Tam

Back