• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

both presenting heads to be groomed

bunnyo1

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

In the middle of bonding my 2 rabbits... but they both keep lowering their heads to each other wanting to be groomed.

I've taken this chance to stroke both their heads at the same time, but I'm worried that if I don't they may start fighting or something!

Jaycie used to groom Freddie but now she wants to be groomed too and he won't oblige.

I don't let him run after her (at the moment just stroking them both together) 'cos she doesn't like him constantly trying to hump her and she has snapped at him before.

Any advice?

They have 2 crates, sharing a run and are let out one at a time. Also swap them in each other's crates. I do sit with them and stroke them together. Do you think I should just wait it out when they do it and see what they do? I'm thinking of putting a bit of banana or yogurt on one's head so the other licks it off to get them grooming again.

This happened when I was bonding Shimmer and Charlie. Neither would groom the other, but they both put their heads down. Only one of them did any humping though.

I don't think this will hinder the bonding process because my two bonded quite quickly and easily without either giving in and grooming the other. The grooming only started a few weeks later.

I was worried as the bonding process seemed not to be going anywhere as neither would groom the other but there must be other subtle rabbit language and signs going on that we're not aware of because all of a sudden the humping stopped and they were happy to be together. After the humping stopped I put them in a cage together (completely neutralised) and they were fine and have been ever since.

Good luck :)

I forgot to say, you could try putting a bit of mashed up banana or apple sauce on their heads. It can encourage grooming.

Maybe if it's apparent which rabbit is going to be in charge you could put the banana/apple on their head to encourage the more submissive rabbit to give in and lick them.

I'm havin the same problem! Iv just started bonding my two buns shadow who we'v had for three years and bugsy who we'v had for three months! Bugsy was neutered 6 weeks ago and the bindings went well and while they have two seperate cages next to each other we now do bonding time in an excercise run in the living room after startin in the kitchen! It's going well but bugsy humps her and she snaps at him every so often for no reason but most the time is going gd! But I just sat with them for half an hr with both of them nuzzling tryin to get kisses! This was the same yesterday too! Have tried banana on each of their heads and nothing!

my rabbits are too picky and don't like banana or anything mushy that I could put on their heads :( I tried them with a bit of yogurt as well but that didn't work.

she has been grooming him but she's refusing a lot now because she isn't getting anything back.

if she isn't grooming him he'll start trying to hump her so I pull him off before she snaps at him... she does a lot of muttering when he's around so I think she's now quite nervous of him.

going to keep at it though - hopefully they'll settle down :) I just can't wait to have them free roaming in my home, I miss having a bunny snoozing in my room next to me! Bunnies are so awkward sometimes!

This was them a few days ago, after me quickly diving in and stroking them both because they were about to start circling/humping
4avymamy.jpg

They look so cute! So is presenting their head meaning they're trying to be the dominant one? The one that tucks their head under the others chin? I'd say my male was the dominant one has he's chased and pulled the females fur in the past but when they were getting on she would slowly go up to him when he was laid down and shove her head under his head with her eyes closed, I thought it was her submitting?

Sounds like both want to be dominant at the moment. I wouldn't worry, they just need to sort it out amongst themselves. I wouldn't stop the humping unless they are humping the other rabbit's head (there is a risk of them biting the other's genitals) because it is a normal part of bonding and will help them to establish who is boss.

Also, dairy isn't good for them so please don't feed them yogurt.

Back