• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bony growth - Apollo passed away

bunnybeth

New Kit
When I fed my rabbits last night my 5yr old male lop, Apollo, was eating slowly, not like he normally does. I felt his chin and found there was a hard lump under his chin. This morning he had no interest in anything and sat hunched. I called the vet and and got a cancellation. When the very came out to speak to me (thanks lockdown) he said he could feel a large mass in his abdomen that he thought was a kidney and the mass in his jaw didn’t feel like an abscess and he suspected it was a root from a tooth that had grown through his jaw (dental exam was fine) - prognosis not good.
He stayed in for an x-ray on his jaw, it’s not a root but looks like a bony growth. The vet felt his abdomen and found both kidneys were fine so took an x-ray of the abdomen and the large hard mass was lower and further forward. At the moment Apollo is coming home with pain relief to try to make him comfortable enough to eat. Just feel at a loss to know what i should do. The vet said he could biopsy the bony growth but it carried a risk of breaking his jaw and a CT scan would be needed for the abdominal mass. And we don’t know which has caused the sudden change in eating.
Poor Apollo had a rough start, he developed a cataract at a young age, likely from invitro E. Cuniculi... and now all this.

Last edited:
When I fed my rabbits last night my 5yr old male lop, Apollo, was eating slowly, not like he normally does. I felt his chin and found there was a hard lump under his chin. This morning he had no interest in anything and sat hunched. I called the vet and and got a cancellation. When the very came out to speak to me (thanks lockdown) he said he could feel a large mass in his abdomen that he thought was a kidney and the mass in his jaw didn’t feel like an abscess and he suspected it was a root from a tooth that had grown through his jaw (dental exam was fine) - prognosis not good.
He stayed in for an x-ray on his jaw, it’s not a root but looks like a bony growth. The vet felt his abdomen and found both kidneys were fine so took an x-ray of the abdomen and the large hard mass was lower and further forward. At the moment Apollo is coming home with pain relief to try to make him comfortable enough to eat. Just feel at a loss to know what i should do. The vet said he could biopsy the bony growth but it carried a risk of breaking his jaw and a CT scan would be needed for the abdominal mass. And we don’t know which has caused the sudden change in eating.
Poor Apollo had a rough start, he developed a cataract at a young age, likely from invitro E. Cuniculi... and now all this.

Poor Bunny :cry: I hope that the analgesia will keep him comfortable x

I just want him to be as comfortable as he can be for as long as he wants to be. But I don’t think removing either mass is going to be an option 😢

Thank you, seems like there’s nothing much I can do for him except for make sure he is comfortable. He’s home, looks groggy and unhappy after his anaesthetic but his wifey is snuggled up next to him, so she’s keeping him warm.

I'm so sorry the vet didn't have better news. Lovely he has his wife (& you of course) to look after him

Having had very little sleep checking on him every couple of hours and feeding him a little sometime between 5:30 - 7:30 Apollo passed away. I found his partner, Pebbles, lying next to his body. I think the anaesthetic was too much for whatever had made him suddenly unwell. I’m thinking more now that the issue was the mass in his abdomen.
So now I need to focus on Pebbles and help her through her grief. Any advice would be appreciated, they were my first bonded pair.

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss!

Pebbles will need to say goodbye, I think the recommendation is usually to let them have some time with the body until they leave it alone for a long period of time. It will help Pebbles understand where Apollo has gone.

Pebbles may be quiet for a few days and need some extra fuss. In my experience their grieving process is much different than ours so don't be alarmed if Pebbles isn't feeling sad straight away or if Pebbles doesnt feel sad for long.

When Rodney lost Primrose he was absolutely fine for a few days even binkies etc and then slowly started slipping into grief.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss!

Pebbles will need to say goodbye, I think the recommendation is usually to let them have some time with the body until they leave it alone for a long period of time. It will help Pebbles understand where Apollo has gone.

Pebbles may be quiet for a few days and need some extra fuss. In my experience their grieving process is much different than ours so don't be alarmed if Pebbles isn't feeling sad straight away or if Pebbles doesnt feel sad for long.

When Rodney lost Primrose he was absolutely fine for a few days even binkies etc and then slowly started slipping into grief.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Thank you
I didn’t remove him from their cage until she’d moved away from him, she was at the opposite side of the cage when I did remove him. I keep going in their room and talking to her, she’s had a little carrot as a treat. She’s quite a standoffish rabbit at the best of times so she’ll need to get used to our company a little more.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, but glad he passed with Pebbles by his side. Sweet dreams Apollo xxx

I'm so very sorry for your loss.:cry: Sleep peacefully, Apollo. :cry:
Hoping you and Pebbles can bring one another comfort at this very sad time. xxxx

Back