• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding young rabbits diff litters

staceyemiliou

Young Bun
Hello i was meant to be getting two rabbits this week from different litters but the same age/size - however sadly one of the rabbits died (i am buying from a reputable registered breeder so understand the its just a freak misshap). However i am in two minds on whether to still go ahead and buy the male netherland and get another rabbit i saw whcih won't be ready for another 3 weeks to go with him. Or to wait and buy two together at the same time.

Would they still bond fine even though the one rabbit will of already been in his new hutch 3 weeks, and be slightly larger maybe?

Also is is best to have two females, two males or a male and a female.

Okay so you have a rabbit already- getting a bonded pair would mean ending up with three. You can't house three in one hutch that you have or take on three?

I would say you are best to try them see if the breeder will let you take yours down to introduce or if you can have her and bring her back if she doesn't bond.

If you get a rabbit and bring it back, to go with your other, they could fight, Mine, two girls from different litters hated each other no matter how hard i tried to bond them.

If they are very young kits it will be okay, but if they are older, much more difficult in my experience.

Good luck :)

Hello i was meant to be getting two rabbits this week from different litters but the same age/size - however sadly one of the rabbits died (i am buying from a reputable registered breeder so understand the its just a freak misshap). However i am in two minds on whether to still go ahead and buy the male netherland and get another rabbit i saw whcih won't be ready for another 3 weeks to go with him. Or to wait and buy two together at the same time.

Would they still bond fine even though the one rabbit will of already been in his new hutch 3 weeks, and be slightly larger maybe?

Also is is best to have two females, two males or a male and a female.

The term reputable registered breeder, means nothing to a lot of us as anyone can get a BRC registration, and still breed incorrectly,

It is sad the lil one has past away, it can just happen, its not some freak episode either, in large litters often one or two dont quite make, for many reasons,

if you get 2 buns of the same sex it is advised to get them neutere as soon as you can, find a rabbit savy vet who can do this boys can be done as young as 12 weeks ( as soon as plumbs show ) females min age 5 months pending on size and weight, Be aware neuter isnt cheap but same sex are better done at same time before hormones kick in, or if youget a nasty fight, you could end up wit huge vet bill ( as buns can do alot of damage) and mostly likely a failed bond, so 2 seperate buns with no freind

if say you get boy and girl same time boy done first then girl, ( so you can help spread with cost), do not wait till 5/6 months to do both as you will most likely have some kits on the way

age size breed makes no differance to a bun, Its how you put them together, but it is best both to be already neutered hense why a rescue would be the best idea

Okay so you have a rabbit already- getting a bonded pair would mean ending up with three. You can't house three in one hutch that you have or take on three?

I would say you are best to try them see if the breeder will let you take yours down to introduce or if you can have her and bring her back if she doesn't bond.

If you get a rabbit and bring it back, to go with your other, they could fight, Mine, two girls from different litters hated each other no matter how hard i tried to bond them.

If they are very young kits it will be okay, but if they are older, much more difficult in my experience.

Good luck :)

I wouldn't put them straight together if that was the choice...
They are only young and it will be a big change for them to be seperated from mum and littermates. To stick two strange bunnies together, the stress of the situation could cause all sorts of problems For example tummy upsets, which is very bad in young rabbits.

Not to mention I would quarantine both away from each other for 2 weeks, incase either is carrying anything that the other could catch.

I personally would not bond two strange young rabbits until BOTH are neutered as hormones will set in and they WILL fight.

I have a bonded group of 5 girls. Only two are related, they bonded fine.

Yes they would be young 11 weeks ish. I have heard good things from people about the breeder and they are on the BRC reccommended list.

So would it be best to have the young male who is now 11 weeks and wait until he is neutered and then get the other bun rather than get one around the same time (maybe a week or so between). Also is it more likely if he is male he will be better off with a female rather than a young male.

Yes they would be young 11 weeks ish. I have heard good things from people about the breeder and they are on the BRC reccommended list.

So would it be best to have the young male who is now 11 weeks and wait until he is neutered and then get the other bun rather than get one around the same time (maybe a week or so between). Also is it more likely if he is male he will be better off with a female rather than a young male.

if you do it this way then get a girl as a partner, if you wish to get a boy now then there is no prob in getting to know him learn his charateristics, for a few weeks, rem he cant be done until his plumbs have dropped, then wait a good few weeks for hormones to settle, ( less hormones makes for a better, and mostly not always and easier bond )

maybe worth ringing around looking for a vet first who will de plumb and spay, there fees and the youngest the will do them to give you and idea

Would it not work if i had 2 males same age-ish and had them neutered at the same time.

The thing is i have one rabbit i have ordered now which is a male (12 weeks old ish) and a friend of a friend as of today i found out also has a young rabbit of the same age which they annoyingly no longer wants or can keep and i would love to have it rather than send it to a sanctuary. However is also a buck. I ideally want two rabbits living together if possible

Would this situation of having both buns together and neutering them when they reach the right age not owrk. Or is it best if i jsut stick to having one bun on their own.

Back