• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding vibes please

spudsmummy

Warren Scout
Hi there :wave:
i have decided to go for it and bond Buzz and Jessie tonight.
I thought i can bring them into the kitchen(no heating) tonight and then spend all tonight and tomorrow with them.

First off how big should the pen be? who do i put in it first?
How much is too much? when do they need breaking up? i don't want either of them to get hurt :?

i was thinking of putting loads of food in with them and just seeing what happens :?

Vibes needed please

Hi there :wave:
i have decided to go for it and bond Buzz and Jessie tonight.
I thought i can bring them into the kitchen(no heating) tonight and then spend all tonight and tomorrow with them.

First off how big should the pen be? who do i put in it first?
How much is too much? when do they need breaking up? i don't want either of them to get hurt :?

i was thinking of putting loads of food in with them and just seeing what happens :?

Vibes needed please

Hello :wave:

I haven't done a bond before - my girls are currently away for an attempted bond, but I just wanted to send some vibes your way!

I'm sure someone experienced will be along soon to answer your questions!

Good luck! :D

ok so they have been together for about an hour now and its not been to bad. bit of fur pulling and jumping around but mainly Buzz(m) has been mounting and humping jessie(f) and she has just been letting him get on with it, lol
apart from that she hasnt shown much interest in him.
Fingers crossed it only gets better from now on :)

:wave:hi there
ok well they have been together for about 14 hours now and all seems to be ok.
not had any fights over night :)
Buzz is still humping jessie ALOT though!! he kinda nips her to get her attention too as she is being such a good girl and just letting him get on with it, lol
Buzz has also done some big bunny flops right next to her so i know he is happy with it all.
I have just seen Jessie licking Buzz's head too so i think she is ok with it but just being quiet and letting buzz get on with it.

I will keep then in here for the morning then move then out side into the pen this afternoon and see what happends :?

Well they have been in the hutch together since about 2 pm and everything seems fine, they have been cuddling and shared their food nicely.

i hope it carries on like this :D

Hi,
I've successfuly bonded 2 sets of bunnys. I think its an especially good start that they've been together for such a long period of time without any major fights breaking out! You're very lucky in that it sounds like you have a clear dominant (Buzz) and a clear submissive (Jessie) as the battle for the dominant bunny position is what can cause bonding to take some time.
The mounting is competely normal, my dominant bun Timmy did that to his submissive girl Mimi a few times when they were first bonding as his way of confirming his position. It's totally fine to let this happen, aslong as Jessie is OK with it. Once he feels established as top bun, Buzz will stop doing it.
Timmy and Mimi were abit rough with eachother at first and would boss eachother around with nips and nudges, but that soon stopped aswell. They just need to get to know eachother in their own time and work out their own dynamics.
I think you're doing fab so far and will definatly be a success story in the bunny bonding stakes! I have found that once they start grooming its a pretty fast track into being able to leave them totally alone together, and before you know it it will be like they've been friends for life!:love:
Having said that, Timmy and Mimi still have the occasional tiff, mostly in the mornings when they're anticipating their breakfast! But hey, if ur around someone enough you do have disagreements don't you?!
The only bits of advise I have for you is to make sure theres enough hay and food that they don't feel they're competing for it, and allow them some time apart to rest on their own. Bonding is stressful for them so they definatly need a break from it (as do you!) Also don't underestimate your role in it, you're overall top bunny and Buzz needs to know you'll step in if he attacks and Jessie needs to know you'll protect her if necessary. Calm encouraging talking HONESTLY goes a long way.
Let me know how it's going.
Good luck and Love to Buzz and Jessie :wave:

Back