• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding query - unsure on behaviour - Update

Jamie

Warren Scout
Hi,

I am trying to bond a trio, 2 girls and 1 boy, all neutered. Dudley and teddy are already bonded and I want to add twix. I have put them in cages to get used to each other and then decided to place them in a neutral area. All went well at first. Teddy was grooming twix straight away and Dudley wasn't all Thayer dissed but gave her a little kiss. Teddy and Dudley relaxed and laid out. Twin looked scared but went over for more grooming ng at some points. Even though Dudley is bonded with teddy and neutered he still humps a bit. When he tried humping her and she ran away twix started running thinking that teddy was chasing her. She then ended scared and hiding as it got teddy over excited and then she chased twix then groomed her.

I am a little confused about this! Any advice or reasons behind this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Xxx

Last edited:
I can't explain the behaviour but as long as there is no fighting then perhaps you should just persevere with the bonding. Have you got them in a largish space because if you have they may be better in a smaller one. Good luck.

Sounds like they are trying to work out who is top bun. As long as the chasing and humping isn't persistent and they don't start circling in preparation for a fight I'd let them get on with it and sort it out between themselves.

Thanks for your replies guys. I will perciver. I just done want twix being scared. Dudley always humps! I think the plum fairy only did half a job!!! So chasing is ok? X

All sounds fine to me, yes chasing is absolutely normal. So is nipping to some extent, we just don't want full on locking on biting. It can be hard to keep track when bonding more than a pair as you only have one pair of eyes but what you describe sounds perfectly normal to me. Goodluck.

just a quick question

If I am trying to bond my buns and they spend time together, then I separate them to go to bed, am i not having to start all over again the next time I put them together? I don't feel any progress is being made. Twix is still scared and grunts and thumps, which causes teddy to chase her! Then teddy grooms her and nips under her chin or on her bum.Dudley thinks all his Christmases have come at once and isn't bothered at all.

Any more advice would be great.

Thanks

X

Yes, you are really. You need to set-aside at least 48 hours where you can watch them 24-7. Mine went away to be bonded last week and when they came back Saturday I slept on the sofa with them in the room then last night had my bedroom door open and their's so I could hear any squabbles. Im no expert though, this is just fron the little experience I had of bonding my pair and now a third bun.

Mine is a trio like yours, it's very time consuming and stressful (in my opinion). Reading your post again my three sound similar to yours, Pixie gets stressed which sets the others off woth her panicked running and whimpering. The lady who bonded them for me said it's just about giving Pixie a chance to calm down & I think basically get used to the situation.

Last edited:
update - not sure i am progressing

I had the buns all together in the small cage again at the weekend and things are the same. Twix just sits there really uninterested and thumps and runs most times another bun comes near her and Teddy chases and pulls fur..

Teddy pushs her head under twixs side and gives a gentle nip it would seem. No idea Why?

I managed to get them to feed together but if twice gets startled she stops and it's hard to get her back to it.

Any ideas what I should do? Do I keep on with it as no one is getting hurt twix is just beong silly or does twix not want to be friends?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

X

got your pm, ive never bonded a tro only pairs, but think the nipping could be to establish who is top bun, or once had a nethie and she would nip through jealousy if another anmal was nearby

do you have a secure garden they could run around in and provide plenty of distractions of tunnels and play things and forage stuff

Thanks for the reply mini lop 1.

There doesn't seem to be any aggression so think I will continue for now. Teddy nips even when it's just her and twix but then licks her. It's twix that runs from her but doesn't show any signs of aggression or wanting to be top bun.

My garden is quite big and worry that they will just ignore each other.

A car journey maybe in order!

x

Back