• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding older bun with baby bun

Ivanatinkle

Warren Scout
Can anyone give me any advice, we have adopted a new bunny we call him pepper as my special boy parnip died after a long battle with mixi:cry::cry::cry:. He is coming up a year old and we took him on he was an unwanted childs pet, we have just had him neutered last week and he seems to recovered well, I was going to start looking for a lady to rescue when I got talking to someone whos just got baby buns and I feel, in a way they need rescuing too as like most they werent planned.

So im wanting advice on bonding an adult boy with a baby girl ...

I have bonded Simba who is approx 4yrs old with a 18wk old French lop. She as given him a new lease of life, she does however mither him as she keeps trying to hump him and he just isn't up for that, think he wishes I would get her done asap:lol: but won.t get her done till she is 6mths

He's still a young boy!! I'd say go for a young doe who has already been spayed and hopefully if you introduce on neutral territory it'll be bunny love :love: Good luck!

I would try him with a baby, but only if you are confident he won't act aggressively. Introduce them on neutral territory and maybe with something inbetween them, i.e a kitchen strainer of some sort just in case he goes face to face and does try and bite. I have bonded a male with an 8 week old baby and it was love at first sight for them. I neutered her before she started to mount so that was never an issue. I think the babies deserve a home just as much as an adult rescue. Sometimes people seem to think that just because they are babies you should go for an adult as they are harder to rehome, and that isn't always the case! I've rehomed both kinds and both are as difficult as each other in my opinion.

Thanks some helpful replies there, and you made me feel better about getting a baby, forgot to say I kept the hutch that came with Pepper and will use it to begin with for baby girl. and I was going to put a divider down the run for a week or so.

Thanks some helpful replies there, and you made me feel better about getting a baby, forgot to say I kept the hutch that came with Pepper and will use it to begin with for baby girl. and I was going to put a divider down the run for a week or so.

Good idea :):) You should get a good idea of how he will react towards her. You won't get any aggression from the baby.

Well we got our little girl, she is gorgeous, and a lot less timid than Pepper she is a white and grey lop and she seems OK this morning I couldn't sleep for worrying about her, It must be awful when she's been with all her brothers and sisters to be put in a hutch on her own as she's only 12 weeks old. I cant wait for them to go in together anyway they will get chance to say hello later Ive rigged up the run so they have a compartment each.:D

Oh and after a family vote she is called Lilly, we wrote a long list then the kids chose their 5 favourites and we looked to see which came out on both 5 and it was Lilly:D:D

Last edited:
They have been in their runs side by side and she broke into his there is no aggression but he is humping her front back and all over so I have secured her back in her own, will he do her any harm ?? How do I know if she is stressed by it ??

Hi,

I'm guessing that he is neutered so the mounting is most likely just a dominance issue. It will happen for a while until they assert pecking order between themselves. You should allow mounting to happen to an extent unless it is excessive and appears to stress lilly. It should subside the more time they spend together and if she appears to be unhappy, stops eating etc then keep them separate for a while. I think they will be happily bonded soon, just rember to get her neutered as soon as she is big enough before her hormones kick in and might upset the balance. She sounds lovely!

Ive still got them seperated, but they did seem ok together I was just worried about the humping should I wait longer do you think. Or try it and see if if it stops.:roll:

I know there are lots of people who know much more than me on here, I'm sure they'll help soon. I do know that males can be fertile for several weeks after being neutered so you shouldn't have them together for a while yet.

Oh thats perfectly normal the novelty will soon wear off as long as he doesnt hurt her. It is a dominance thing but also it takes a while for his hormones to calm down, when i was finding a gf for joey he was jumping on them 2 months after his op, he soon got bored though! My 13 week old female is the naughty one at the mo, all she wants to do is hump him!! lol :roll:

Well she's allready as big as him hes a lionhead and shes a lop, ill give it a bit longer to make sure hes not still fertile. Thanks for your replies.:D

I put them together last week, and after a bit of humping he soon settled down, they are now inseparable and obviously adore each other, even while having a wash they are side by side and eat out of the same bowl even though there is two its such a sweet sight and after his first 9 months (he was a rescue) it must be bliss for him being out every day and having the love of his life...bless him.:D

Back