• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding male and female - what's happening here?

CHH

Warren Scout
We're bonding a 6 month old male with a 2 year old female this weekend. I started this morning and haven't let them out of my sight. They're in a 3ft by 2ft dog cage just now. Both are neutered.

The female is grooming the male's back. She's not licking, it's more like biting his fur.

Is that good or bad? I've been stopping her by picking up the cage and moving it to another part of the room.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Is there a particular reason you've been stopping it?

I would suggest only stopping something that could potentially harm a rabbit, such as a fighting, or humping the wrong way round.

It looked like it could be a little aggresive. It's a definite bite that she's doing but it's just the fur she's biting. By picking up the cage and moving them it distracts them.

They are lovely looking bunnies!

She is just sniffing his scent and getting to know him. Its not causing a problem so I can't see there is a need to stop it.

That's some very serous grooming. :shock:
Neither of my rabbits let anyone or each other that near their bum. Your ginger bunny is very laid back. Good luck with the bonding. :wave:

Here they are earlier today..........

DSCN5072%20-%20Copy.JPG

We've had a major scrap. This is the third attempt to bond these two in the last few months and on each occasion it's the female who kicks it all off. So I'm calling it a day with these two and Sophie will be a single bun for the forseeable future.

We have another well established pair. The reason we have more than 2 buns is that Sophie attacks her sister. She has a long history of picking fights! I'd like to introduce the other single male to them so that he isn't on his own.

The established pair is a 3 year old male and 2 year old female. All our buns are neutered. They share the garden so know each other exist but never get out together obviously! The plan is to put all three in the 3ft x 2ft dog cage and watch over them constantly.

I've never added an additional bun to a pair. Anything I should be wary of? I've looked back 8 pages in this forum and there aren't many threads about this.

Last edited:
I'm sorry it went wrong. Your boy is so chilled out, that's very sad. I now understand why you were wary of what was going on.

Would you consider asking a rescue or someone to bond for you?

There are a lot of threads on trio bonding (the search function should oblige). I am bonding a 2+1 today and there is a thread with some pictures of them in the picture forum.

The things to be aware of really is that you may find the original pair divorce and may not bond with the single, or one may switch alliances and you might find yourself with a different single and pair. I've not had that happen to me, but I know someone who has with their attempted trio.

Yes, he seems to be no problem but she's got previous! She has had a partner before but he was much older. He was 8 1/2 when he died.

I think I'll take them for a run in the car first thing to soften them up a bit! But I'll have the pair and the single in separate carry boxes. I'll put them in the cage as soon as I get back.

Is tomorrow too soon to try? The single bun wasn't to blame and doesn't seem the least bit concerned about his experience. The pair that he's going in with are pretty laid back about life too, although one of them is Sophie's sister so it could be in the genes!

Back