• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding experience!

sharkfur

Warren Scout
Hello Bunnybuddies..

I would predominantly address my question to all those amazing people who help out at shelters, rescues, etc. So those who have lots of bunnies around them :) But every experience counts, and I am grateful if you can share your views with me.

So, we had our boy neutered this Friday, everything went well, he is back to his old self, eating, pooping, drinking, peeing as he should. We will probably get him a little missuz sooner or later, quite possibly in january. He is a cheeky boy, full of life, very happy, and extremely affectionate. He loves cuddles, demands strokes, etc... He is the typical little devil who always has a plan to get your attention...usually climbing/jumping/chewing-related. And you can tell he knows he is naughty. :p We love him to bits, he is our little boy (3,5 years btw).

And here is my question: What does your experience tell you? for a cheeky, full-of-life bunny which type is the perfect mate? Someone who is similar, who is just as cheeky, or a more shy type? I want both of them to love the other, and be happy. I am just wondering...you know... what works out in practice? - I realize it all comes down to their individual personalities, I am just looking for some personal experience here :)

Thank you very much in advance guys, greatly appreciated.

Perhaps I'm the last person on RU who should be posting on this topic! My experience is only second hand discussions with friends, because both my buns were too ill to bond (severe chronic infections) However this was not a decision reached lightly.

As far as I understand it, bunnies behave very differently between themselves & humans. However dominance issues can arise between buns & humans too, particularly during adolescence as hormones kick in but even after neutering. This is my main experience.

Between themselves, the big issue is dominance = sorting out where they are on the social ladder of backing down by showing respect. It's best assessed by watching the way they respond to other rabbits in a rescue.
For this reason, as well as providing homes for the vast numbers of unwanted rabbits, I'd strongly recommend getting your companion rabbit from a rescue.
Most will do the initial bonding there, or at least give a very good assessment of compatability.
Also should there be unpredictable issues back at home, there are slower bonding techniques for home use, which often work well.
The other great advantage of a rescue is if they just don't get on at home, with fighting for dominance which doesn't subside, most rescues will take the partner bun back & try again.

My impression is, that a well balanced rabbit as you describe, is usually easier to bond than one who is very fearful, usually manifest by aggressive issues. However I've known a rabbit introduced to a colony when young (12 weeks being a cut off when they should submit to all older rabbits), hell bent on taking on the older top male, yet a total softee when relating to humans & totally devoted to the partner he chose.

So my advice to you is getting the partner bun from a rescue. Maybe not what you want to hear, but it's what I'd do every time.
I hope my post will encourage others with more experience to comment for you.

I would also go to a rescue. A decent rescue will give life long back up and advice and will help with bonding, as Thumps mentions. Your rabbit will be the best judge of which one suits him! You could always pick a few you like the look/personality of and take it from there.

Very best of luck.

Thank you for the comments, both of you. :) Of course we will adopt a girl from a rescue, I never said we wouldn't :) I am just wondering about personalities...

Thank you for the comments, both of you. :) Of course we will adopt a girl from a rescue, I never said we wouldn't :) I am just wondering about personalities...

Please forgive me for not realising this, but the advice was given purely as the best way to assess compatability.

AFAIK the personality shown to the owner can be different from the personality shown to other rabbits because of dominance issues which are the mainstay of a good bond. He sounds a delightfully stable rabbit, which also facilitates bonding.
I'd discuss it with the person who runs the rescue who will assess which of the available rabbits are most likely to be compatable & try them both out together to see how they respond.

Please forgive me for not realising this, but the advice was given purely as the best way to assess compatability.

AFAIK the personality shown to the owner can be different from the personality shown to other rabbits because of dominance issues which are the mainstay of a good bond. He sounds a delightfully stable rabbit, which also facilitates bonding.
I'd discuss it with the person who runs the rescue who will assess which of the available rabbits are most likely to be compatable & try them both out together to see how they respond.

Hmm...you are definitely right... In my head I was thinking we would find a girly, and have the two of them meet...but maybe it is more wise to let them pick each other...makes perfect sense to me :)

Hmm...you are definitely right... In my head I was thinking we would find a girly, and have the two of them meet...but maybe it is more wise to let them pick each other...makes perfect sense to me :)

I think a rescue will try a girly 1st, as opposite sex buns are easier to bond in adult life.
I'm sure you've already considered it, but a knowledge of the health issues in some breeds, eg Rex buns are very prone to hock sores can help you to select before bonding is tried.
The rabbit side of them really comes to the fore when it comes to partners. Mind, I'd be a bit fussy choosing a "partner" if it meant living with them continuously,& not seeing anyone else.:lol:

I think a rescue will try a girly 1st, as opposite sex buns are easier to bond in adult life.
I'm sure you've already considered it, but a knowledge of the health issues in some breeds, eg Rex buns are very prone to hock sores can help you to select before bonding is tried.
The rabbit side of them really comes to the fore when it comes to partners. Mind, I'd be a bit fussy choosing a "partner" if it meant living with them continuously,& not seeing anyone else.:lol:

Oh Yes, I am quite aware of the different breeds and their special attributes and genetic well... things (?).. But we are not looking for any particular breed, it doesn't matter what type they are :) As a matter of fact, I'm sure we will end up with a girly that is quite average or overlooked..(agouti, red eyed, etc..) We have a soft spot for such buns :) And in my opinion, crosses, and crosses of crosses are the best ever...out boy has lots of different breeds in him, I am sure...and that makes him so very unique... :) I just can't picture him with some pure-bread pedigree lady :D

971887_3204255961884_262942722_n.jpg

1016176_3357675517277_2018964957_n.jpg

533530_2612462887427_1730199035_n.jpg

Back