• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Bunnies that Bite or are aggresive?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Patch bites if he gets upset- (nips, not breaking the skin). Blaze doesn't bite, but he launches forward like he is going to - he is very cage possessive.

I want to bond the two now they have been neutered. Is it wise. I've had no problems with my other buns bonding them as they are all have very amicable natures.

These two would be good together as they would clean each others eye area as they are dental buns, they would also finally have company,

Would i be safe bonding these two or is it too much of a risk to bond more aggressive buns?

Thanks xx

It really depends on the bunny. Some vicious bunnies would need a lot of intensive work before being safe to bond, but some would be ok. I bonded Cloud, who was very vicious, with the Dopeys and they did great together.

The only thing I would be hesitant about ould be bonding a volatile bunny with another volatile bunny, because they can kick each other off and make each other worse. It would be better to bond a volatile bunny with a chilled bunny to see if that can help their behaviour.

It really depends on the bunny. Some vicious bunnies would need a lot of intensive work before being safe to bond, but some would be ok. I bonded Cloud, who was very vicious, with the Dopeys and they did great together.

The only thing I would be hesitant about ould be bonding a volatile bunny with another volatile bunny, because they can kick each other off and make each other worse. It would be better to bond a volatile bunny with a chilled bunny to see if that can help their behaviour.

Thanks for the advice. I think your probably right there, only problem is- these two have ongoing dental issues and eye infections, and i don't want to put them with any of my healthy buns.

They are fine in a carrier with each other traveling to the vets. They don't fight, but i noticed blaze try to go for patch when i had them both on the sofa, so decided against bonding them previously, but they were un-neutered then.

They are now neutered for about 3 weeks, so maybe it might be a different story. It's tempting. xx

The vet has them on baytril and says they have pasturella infection, so i just didn't want to spread the problem if possible. Not sure if it's too late though.

I used to have a pair of agressive bunnies - Barley and Marge. Barley had been kept in a bird cage by the pet shop he came from for four months or so and is very hutch aggressive. Marge came from the RSPCA and just hated people. She'd stamp and box and growl... They got on fine with each other though.

Then Marge died and Barley got more aggressive. He'd lunge at my other rabbits if they hopped past his hutch and he'd focus on them so badly that he'd run into the wall of his hutch whilst trying to chase them. :shock:

In the end I decided he needed a friend so along came Cloud. She gives me a good bite every now and then and I don't think anyone would describe her as 'friendly' but at the same time, she's not aggressive either really. Just overly curious I guess.

I really thought Barley would attack her when I introduced them so I set up the neutral area, put gardening gloves on and put a broom and a spray bottle within easy reach. Five minutes into bonding (literally!) they were like this -

29860_446723028573_709523573_5948789_2276697_n.jpg

:roll::lol:

Barley can still be a bit territorial and suffers from reffered agression a little bit but he's so much happier than when he was on his own. :)

When you say that these rabbits are aggressive are you saying that they are aggressive with humans or other buns.

Responses between buns when you have them both on the sofa really are not something you can use to descide how they would be together as they are not on neutral territory and it is perfectly normal for aggression on what a rabbit would consider its own space.
Cage posessive is again something which wont happen on neutral territory

It is more to do with correctly bonding them and the personality of the buns and how they interact with another rabbit. It is the same as with humans as some people can wind certain people up while they get on with others really well. There is only one way to find out.

It's all turned out fine. They have been together now for several days and there has been no problems, they are snuggling cuddling etc. I didn't expect this to be so easy with these two. They actually went together with very little humping etc, just started grooming pretty much straight away. Blaze is the dominant one and patch is the one who is submissive of the two. A very nice mix.

Thankyou for the help and advice. I don't think i'd have tried it if you hadn't shared your story georgie_f.

I'm really grateful xx

Back