• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding a trio

bambi2906

Warren Scout
hi, i am looking at getting my dwarf lop a friend. i went to a rescue today and they have got two angora rabbits both female. the lady really wants them to go togetheir. so my question is will two females and a male bond. has anyone got a trio like that which has been successful ?? thanks

Two neutered doe's and a neutered buck can be a very successful bonding. It does depend on the personalities of all bunnies concerned. I have bonded some quite easily, and in other attempts it has not worked at all! And, it is true to say I have known of situations where the previous bonded pair have fallen out big time, and the owner has been left with a happy neutered buck and doe, and a separate doe needing a new friend!

To be honest the rescue should help with this. Most rescues will do the bonding for you, if they have the facilities. Are they happy to do so, and if you did have to do the bonding yourself would they be there with support, and be willing to take the pair back if it did not work out?

Good luck, Alice

I agree with Alice.

It can work very nicely but depends entirely on the rabbits involved. Obviously the normal rules apply - all should be neutered, put together in a totally neutral area and kept confined until the bond is firmly made. I have bonded many trios including three boys, two boys and a girl and the other way around. I have found that often it is more succesful if the pair are siblings rather than 'lovers' but anything is possible.

Most rescues won't consider letting you take buns unless they bond them or you are experienced at such things, especially with a trio - more tricky than a pair in my opinon. I hope that this rescue is in a position to assist you - rehoming a rescue bun is so rewarding.

Hope that it works for you and your bun.

Helen

hi thanks for your reply. the angoras are sisters and from what she told me there quite lay back and so is my male. i might ring up the rescue give them the all clear to get them neutered but tell her that when bluebell can be put with a female i will bring him to her and if she can bond them all ill take both if not i will only be able to take one which she said was fine as she does have another home lined up for the other. i just thought that there would be jealousy or something.

hi thanks for your reply. the angoras are sisters and from what she told me there quite lay back and so is my male. i might ring up the rescue give them the all clear to get them neutered but tell her that when bluebell can be put with a female i will bring him to her and if she can bond them all ill take both if not i will only be able to take one which she said was fine as she does have another home lined up for the other. i just thought that there would be jealousy or something.

I'd say give the trio a go if they are sisters, but just follow the normal guidelines for bonding (if you haven't done any, PM me and I'll send you my guide to bonds). It would be very sad to split the sisters unless the other girl has a home to go to immediately as she will 'mourn' her missing sibling if she is removed. Maybe try the trio and if it doesn't work, then possibly consider splitting (personally I would just seek another female that is already single).

I agree that a trio of a male and two females can work really well. I've seen it happen a number of times and it is often an easy pairing to bond. It's definitely worth trying. :)

We have a trio of 2 girls and a boy. The girls are mother and daughter and the male is unrelated.

I would give it a go but, as Helen has rightly said, it would be very sad to split the sisters up if the trio didn't work. In this case I too would search for a single female to bond with my boy.

Good luck :)

Back