• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded Bunnies - Problems :(

Rach&Dan

Young Bun
Hi Everyone, first time post looking for some help!

A bit of back ground info

We have two bunnies, Flopsy 2 1/2 years old, pedigree dwarf lop, un-neutered female and Womble, 1 year old, half netherland, half english male and fixed. Flopsy was a rescue bunny who previously lived on her own (her owners moved overseas), then spent until August last year on her own and thats when we got Womble as company for her. They both live outside and have the run of the garden. They lived in seperate hutches (but next to each other) until Womble was old enough to be fixed (about 2 months after he first arrived), then they bonded by being let out together and playing. The first time they were out together they had a little scrap, but quickly got over it. By the onset of winter, they were partly bonded and were living together in the same hutch. All winter they were great, and even when we brough them in for a week of -10c temps, they were fine.

Flopsy is very affectionate (and even very articulate) and is a groomer (grooming me and Rach!), however she doesnt like to be picked up, Womble is a bit timid, but likes being handled, can be picked up, but isnt really a groomer, however out of the blue about three/four months ago he started returning the favour to Flopsy and started grooming back. Since then, they got on ok in the garden, groom each other ok and everything ok (apart from Womble being a bit timid towards me)

Now, this is whats happened recently.....

We recently had a two week holiday and whilst we were away, we decided the rabbits should be left in their hutch, in our garden as not to upset them moving them to boarding or a family members house. The neighbour agreed to let them out and put them in the hutch, a family member agreed to clean the hutch and monitor food and water.
Since getting back off holiday everything was fine for more or less the first week, then Flopsy has started showing aggression towards Womble when they are out in the garden. She charges him and chases him. There has been an instance of a large clump of fur being ripped from Womble (no blood, no bad fight). This seems to be worse when they are out in the garden together and either one of us is out or both of us are in the garden. In the hutch they sit together, groom each other, eat together, sleep together drink together like nothings wrong!
Tonight they seemed to be getting along alright, then flopsy sat next to me on the stairs, Womble approached me and she charged him. He got out the way and stayed alert and she went for him again. I shooed her off, everything was fine again, then as i moved away (unluckily in the direction of womble) she went for him again. He hid under the hutch and she went in it so we seperated them. Flop snapped a few times in the hutch when she caught sight of Wom. Wom wouldnt go near the hutch. Flop went upstairs (where they tend to live) and tucked into her food, Wom then entered the hutch and everythings fine again.

They had been bonded so well now this is starting off and we are a bit lost about whats causing it and what to do :(
Rachel thinks that Flopsy is trying to claim me as hers and keep Womble away from me (this makes sense given tonights situation) however this doesnt make sense for them to be fine in the hutch!

any ideas or suggestions anyone?

she's female, she's not spayed and she's the one who does the grooming ... basically, she is dominant. I'd say keep them seperated atleast through bars and get her booked in for a spay asap :) It's vital for her health and they'll bond better. Weather is warmer so she's probably hormonal right now too.

Definatly get her fixed :)

is she not a bit too old for being fixed? That was the advice we have been told previously

with the grooming, its a good split now between them, however on the back of that, we think Womble might be over-grooming her a bit at the minute

is she not a bit too old for being fixed? That was the advice we have been told previously

with the grooming, its a good split now between them, however on the back of that, we think Womble might be over-grooming her a bit at the minute

Providing she's healthy then no. My Nutmeg was spayed at 2 and many on the forum, especially rescues, have had rabbits spayed older. You may want to make sure your vet is competent with rabbits though, some aren't.

No, it is definatly not too late to get her fixed. She has a 80% chance of getting cancer before she reaches 5 years old so I'd definatly look to having it done. If she had health problems and was over the ages of 5 then I probably wouldn't (people have different views on the maximum age of Spays). There may be a small chance that her attitude doesn;t change because she wasn;t done young, but it's likely she will become more passive, especially if they have already been bonded before. I'd advise for it, if only for her health at least, behaverual problems being a big benefit and likely to to be fixed.

Someone with more knowledge on this should comment for you to give a second oppinion anyway.

it is their first summer together in the garden. we may look into getting her done, we just got told the older a rabbit is the more risky it is.

what is confusing us is this behavour isnt happening in the hutch, only when they are out in the garden. It is as if Flopsy doesnt want womble near to me. Shes not as bad round rachel.

we just got told the older a rabbit is the more risky it is.

2 1/2 is still fairly young. I had a three year old spayed safely after she was given up by her previous owner and my vet didn't think there was any more risk, I'm sure rescues must get bunnies this age done all the time, probably some people have even had bunnies 6 and above spayed.

I have had bunnies show jealous behaviour before but I'm sure in your case is is probably exasberated by her hormones so I'd certainly consider spaying her.

Although I agree that sometimes you may get some learned behaviour if they are spayed late, its certainly worth trying. Gypsy was territorial, aggressive, and would lunge and bite but I've never been bit once since she was spayed and she even likes nose rubs now.

Reference the barbaring (over-grooming) do they have lots of hay, do they get enough exercise or stimulation from toys etc?

it is their first summer together in the garden. we may look into getting her done, we just got told the older a rabbit is the more risky it is.

what is confusing us is this behavour isnt happening in the hutch, only when they are out in the garden. It is as if Flopsy doesnt want womble near to me. Shes not as bad round rachel.

2.5 years is young in rabbit terms really, she will be fine :wave: as long as she is fit and healthy (which your vet will check before the spay anyway). Some people on here have had rabbits done as late and 6-8 and they have been fine.

It really is the best thing, 80% of unspayed does over 2 will get uterine cancer if not spayed. :wave: And it really will calm her down!

i think we may look into this, especially with the cancer thing.

the last few days shes not been as bad. just puzzles us in the hutch theres no agression, then as soon as they're out... bam!

Back