• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobbie- I Am Doing the Right Thing Aren't I ? U/D Decision Made

Well, my thoughts on this have.......well........dramatically changed with the events of the last 24hours, as you know I had Willow speyed yesterday after lots of umming and aaahing and the advice of my brilliant vet Paula, it turns out that Willow had uterine cancer with 3 growths, oh boy! am I glad I had her speyed, but Jane it's your call, if it were me I would have her done and I suppose I am closer to her than anyone else on here (apart from yourself of course), but I think I would have the pre op checks done and then make the decision based on the results.

Well, my thoughts on this have.......well........dramatically changed with the events of the last 24hours, as you know I had Willow speyed yesterday after lots of umming and aaahing and the advice of my brilliant vet Paula, it turns out that Willow had uterine cancer with 3 growths, oh boy! am I glad I had her speyed, but Jane it's your call, if it were me I would have her done and I suppose I am closer to her than anyone else on here (apart from yourself of course), but I think I would have the pre op checks done and then make the decision based on the results.

Thanks Theo. I emphasise I am not suggesting that I'd *never* get Bobbie spayed but I am wondering if she needs more time having been so gravely ill.

Janex

Thanks Theo. I emphasise I am not suggesting that I'd *never* get Bobbie spayed but I am wondering if she needs more time having been so gravely ill.

Janex

Well, I thought that with Willow, because, as you know she was so very ill and nearly died, but flipping 'eck am I glad I had it done sooner rather than later, I know you fully intend to get her speyed and it's not a question of 'do I' but more a question of 'when do I', personally after yesterday I would say sooner rather than later but thats me and as I said before it's your call......

I have just had another long chat with Christobel. She has convinced me to go ahead with Bobbie's spay next Monday as long as all the pre-op tests are OK.
Christobel said Bobbie is a good weight, not too much body fat (which would significantly increase the GA risk) Also, due to the likelihood that Bobbie has some degree of Dental disease ( at least 2 Boblets have inherited molar malocclusion :cry: ) the sooner Bobbie has her teeth checked the better. Bobbie will have a skull X-ray to assess her tooth roots aswell as the chest X-ray and blood tests. Oh my this is gonna be one expensive spay!! :shock:
But Bobbie is worth every penny :love:

So its no sleep and continuous nausea for me til next Monday................:oops:

Janex

I have just had another long chat with Christobel. She has convinced me to go ahead with Bobbie's spay next Monday as long as all the pre-op tests are OK.
Christobel said Bobbie is a good weight, not too much body fat (which would significantly increase the GA risk) Also, due to the likelihood that Bobbie has some degree of Dental disease ( at least 2 Boblets have inherited molar malocclusion :cry: ) the sooner Bobbie has her teeth checked the better. Bobbie will have a skull X-ray to assess her tooth roots aswell as the chest X-ray and blood tests. Oh my this is gonna be one expensive spay!! :shock:
But Bobbie is worth every penny :love:

So its no sleep and continuous nausea for me til next Monday................:oops:

Janex

:shock: :shock: well done Jane!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jane, I read this y'day but didn't know what my advice would be (who says I'm indecisive?:? )
The big positive on your part is that you have a vet you trust in, and you can believe that she has the best interests of you and Bobbie at heart.
I wish I had the same - I'm never quite convinced by any of the vets I've seen:?
If your vet feels the time is right, then it probably is.
Just a shame it couldn't be done sooner to save you all the "what-if" thoughts that will keep going through your mind between now and then.
I'm sure Bobbie will be fine, and I'll be keeping everything crossed for her :D

Awww - best of luck for her now you've decided - hope you don't waver as that's even more stressful - stick to your decision! :)

I'd like to add a couple of things if I may :wave:

Having had a lot of ill buns, disabled buns etc - I have found that having them spayed is a great idea - and I have had a lot of spayed 9 and 10 year olds:D

Today something happened that will hopefully give you food for thought.

Just on two weeks ago our beloved Rosebud started with a partial prolapse:( Now, Rosebud must be nearly 6 years old or more, but due to her size and weight vets had been very reluctant to spay her. Although Rosebud (or Buds as we call her) - does not eat a great deal she is overweight and funny shaped due to a hormone imbalance. The vets have always been against spaying her as the spay would make her put on more weight and would then compromise her heart and lungs - plus, Buds is also a pasturella bun as well as a bun with no nose:shock: Bud's sneezes at the slightest thing due to having no covering on her nose - so any operations where going to be highly risky.

Now then, as I said, she had a partial prolapse and was taken to our vets at Premier Vets - there they told us that she had a prolapse and took x-rays to see what was going on. Due to her being such a high risk bun they gave us Fibreplex:shock: and left her as she was:shock: . They also checked her teeth and said they where fine but the biggest shock was leaving her with a prolapse:censored:

We eventually got in touch with Sally (our old vet and the one that we believe has helped so many of our buns to live free from pain - she is a saint to us) - anyway, we took Bud's x-rays to her and she could see immediately that something was there:shock: Sally only has access to an operating room once a week at the moment as she is doing locum work and also trying to set up a practice for small animals:D So, we booked Buds in today for Sally to see what she could do.

John got there at 10am this morning with Buds and Sally examined her very carefully. She could feel lumps and bumps in her uterus on palpitating and was extremely worried :( She also found that Buds had two overgrown back molars:( The only thing that Sally could do was bite the bullet and spay Buds - but she told us to prepare for the worst :(( We where devesated but we knew that we had to give Buds a chance - no matter how slim :(

Buds got through her operation :D and is now home and tucking into food:D She has not been eating well at all these last few days and I am not surprised as Sally found a large tumour in her womb :(( The womb also had fluid filled cysts all over it :( Sally is very, very hopeful that all of the tumour and cysts have been removed but obviously can't stake her reputation on it. Buds also had the two molars burred down while she was under.

Most of the vets around here (including Premier who have been our vets for years) would not touch Buds due to her high risk - but Sally did and she has given her a chance. Buds was also quite anemic due to fighting off this illness and infection.

If all blood tests and x-rays come back normal for older or compromised buns then go for the spay - having nearly lost Buds and having lost Violet (who was 9 when she developed uterine cancer) - I would go for a spay at any time. Obviously we have some buns here who cannot be spayed - little Fliss can't as her legs are crossed under and over her - there is no way that you could even get a scalpel where it was needed. But for all other buns, I would spay - they deserve that chance and as a carer of the Hairy Mob then I am going to give them every chance all the time.

Our hearts have been in our boots today and we have felt sick - but to see Buds home and alive is the most amazing thing - and we are truly grateful to Sally for giving her the chance. Buds is home, she's eating, she's comfortable - what more could we ask for? :D

Awwwww Jay what a day you have all had :shock: :shock:

I am SO PLEASED that Buds got through her op' and she will certainly get the very pest post op' care with you.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post on this thread as I am sure you must be shattered after the stress and worry of today.
Bless Sally, obviously a Bunny Saviour !! :D :D

Janex :wave:

Jaypot - sending lots more healing quick vibes for little Bud. Thank heavens you changed vets!

Jane - for what its worth I think you're doing the right thing. All your instincts about your bunnies have been right so far. Good luck for next Monday xx

Jane,
You always give wonderful, sensible and rational advice to the rest of us. I guess it is so much harder to do this for oneself. I think Bobbie has landed on her paws being with you and she couldn't be in better hands. Good luck for next week, everyone will be sending good vibes for Bobbie!

Back