• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobbie- I Am Doing the Right Thing Aren't I ? U/D Decision Made

Your right Elve, I think my biggest regret is not having her spayed when I first got her. She had a big bite wound from a litter mate and was operated on to repair it 2 days after I had her. In hindsight I should have been spayed then, but I didnt know a great deal about it and the vet never suggested it or I would have. Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh!

Jane I think you just need to take a look at Snowy's recent post to consider the possibility of what could still be happening inside of bobby, even if it was early stages. You also had similar experience with Meg and look at Meg now! I know Meg wasn't as poorly as Bobbie but they're both ex-breeding buns and Meg has come out the other side.

This is just my opinion of course. :) Good luck with your decision.

Shiv

Jane I think you just need to take a look at Snowy's recent post to consider the possibility of what could still be happening inside of bobby, even if it was early stages. You also had similar experience with Meg and look at Meg now! I know Meg wasn't as poorly as Bobbie but they're both ex-breeding buns and Meg has come out the other side.

This is just my opinion of course. :) Good luck with your decision.

Shiv

I agree, I've been there on both counts, had one who died and one who was found to have massive tumours and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Its a shame buns are difficult to age, I guess that helps when making decisions like this.

Thanks for all your comments :)

I was not saying I will *never* get Bobbie spayed, Christobel would bend my ear if I did that!!
But I am just worried about it being a bit too soon after her terrible illness.

I do have a special bond with Bobbie and I just want to do the right thing by her

Janex

If it was me Jane I'd give her longer after her illness, that would be my gut feeling but if your vet feels she will be fine then I don't think you need to worry. Good luck with her whatever you decide :)

For elve and Doncat-

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/uterine.htm

Very interesting article as it explains the study that came up with the '80% of unspayed does will get uterine cancer' thats so regularly quoted.

If you look at any RWA acticles they always say spayed does will live longer, and it's based on this study.

Jane- It'll be the right decision whatever you decide,

Nicola

thanks for that - but this study in the 1950's didn't demonstrate that spayed rabbits live longer - there are no stats demonstrating this at all. The 1950's study involved a colony of related rabbits - cancer is well known for being a genetic liability, and this research only confirmed that 80% of the rabbits in that colony developed it by 6yrs old.

If it was me Jane I'd give her longer after her illness, that would be my gut feeling but if your vet feels she will be fine then I don't think you need to worry. Good luck with her whatever you decide :)
Totally agree.:D

thanks for that - but this study in the 1950's didn't demonstrate that spayed rabbits live longer - there are no stats demonstrating this at all. The 1950's study involved a colony of related rabbits - cancer is well known for being a genetic liability, and this research only confirmed that 80% of the rabbits in that colony developed it by 6yrs old.

It would be useful if a more up to date study was done really.

Yeah Jane... maybe it would be best to give her a bit longer. Its awful isn't it. I hate the thought of spaying the healthiest of bunnies. :?

It would be useful if a more up to date study was done really.

Don't ARC have some quite "pro spay" figures from their vets regarding the amount of older does with the start of uterine cancer or something along those lines?

bobbie-am i doing the right thing.

Jane I don,t know if this will be any help to you BUT a vet i used to use who was the most knowledgeable vet i have ever had:) told me that if your doe had been used for breeding then she would reduce her chances greatly of getting womb cancer:) I havn,t had my girls done as they are all ex- breeders & i do believe that his advice is true:) This vet trains all the vets who are at the practice i am with now:) he also gives lectures & has been on TV:) I hold him in very high regard:) so perhaps you could just see how Bobby is for a while:) you can always get her done later when her health has improved:) I would go with your gut feeling on this:)
shanX

Jane I don,t know if this will be any help to you BUT a vet i used to use who was the most knowledgeable vet i have ever had:) told me that if your doe had been used for breeding then she would reduce her chances greatly of getting womb cancer:) I havn,t had my girls done as they are all ex- breeders & i do believe that his advice is true:) This vet trains all the vets who are at the practice i am with now:) he also gives lectures & has been on TV:) I hold him in very high regard:) so perhaps you could just see how Bobby is for a while:) you can always get her done later when her health has improved:) I would go with your gut feeling on this:)
shanX

I thought that was a myth like letting a dog have her first season before spaying to calm her down etc? :?

I thought that was a myth like letting a dog have her first season before spaying to calm her down etc? :?

I thought that too - I've heard that vets who spay a lot of rabbits like those who do work for rescues, generally say that they say uterine cancer or pre cancerous changes in rabbits who have both been bred from and not been bred from - it doesn't seem to make any difference, so as the evidence suggests otherwise, I think that's a myth I'm afraid :?

OK it maybe hasn't demonstrated that spayed rabbits live longer, but as far as I'm concerned, longevity isn't everything. I'd rather have a bun live a 100% happy, healthy, hormone-stress free year, than to be wound up by hormones for 3 years. And whilst there may not be specific research confirming high rates of uterine cancer, I think that the anecdotal evidence of vets like Cristobel who do a lot of spays, says a lot - that there are a large number of occasions where cancer or pre-cancerous changes are detected.

Personally I choose to spay mainly for the 'side effect' that in my experience, the rabbit is much calmer and happier once the hormones are removed - no need to feel territorial, defend your space or be attacked by others defending theirs, no phantom pregnancies and confusion over when the babies are arriving or not; as well as for the obvious benefit that a rabbit without a uterous can't get uterine cancer!

Jane I know you trust Cristobel implicitly and I'm sure that she wouldn't suggest going ahead with the spay if she didn't feel Bobbie was ready. I can understand why you're nervous about it though!

I know that the vet ARC use for all their neuterings has confirmed to me that even with rabbits who had previously been used for breeding she has seen numerous ones with uterine cancers. This to me shows that rabbits are not protected from developing uterine cancers by being bred.

Many of the rabbits whom our vet neuters who are slightly older buns have signs of uterine changes which could go on to develop into uterine cancer or others have early signs of tumour deposits.

I am a bit late to this, but I'd say wait a bit. My bunnies have had so many problems since they were spayed, and they seemed so healthy before, so I wonder if the stress on Bobbie's body would be too much this early.

I am going to speak with Tim and Christobel again today.
My gut feeling at the moment is that I want to postpone the spay for a few more weeks. I just dont want to lose Bobbie or make a bad decision on her behalf

Janex

Back