• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder Sludge

With UTIs a long course of abx is often needed. Sometimes 14 days. I would certainly not want to give a course of less than 10 days. I'd give the Vet a call to confirm what has been prescribed. I'd try not to stress about the blood test results at this stage. Another blood test could be run after the course of ztreatment has been completed to re- assess how the kidneys are functioning. Perhaps your hubby could enlist the help of a friend when giving Blossom the meds ?

Yes, exactly what the vet said :) Studied YouTube for ideas on solo medicating, and have to say hubby was a star with the 'bunny between knees' method, so am sure he will cope with 4 days of medicating :)

How's Teddy doing today? :wave:

Thanks for asking :) Teddy is brilliant in himself. Poop size seems to be increasing :lol:

Am keeping him confined to accomodation at the mo, as need to keep an eye on 'output' etc (and still not sure all this is because of something he has eaten in the garden) - so I do feel guilty though.

Big big pees .. so still a concern, but will see how things are when he has completed his course of Meds.

Having been so very poorly, it is a joy to see him back to his happy self :love:

Thanks for asking :) Teddy is brilliant in himself. Poop size seems to be increasing :lol:

Am keeping him confined to accomodation at the mo, as need to keep an eye on 'output' etc (and still not sure all this is because of something he has eaten in the garden) - so I do feel guilty though.

Big big pees .. so still a concern, but will see how things are when he has completed his course of Meds.

Having been so very poorly, it is a joy to see him back to his happy self :love:

Oh lovely, what a relief for you!

Continued vibes for Teddy until he's completely out of the woods and producing great golden boulders :wave:

Yes, exactly what the vet said :) Studied YouTube for ideas on solo medicating, and have to say hubby was a star with the 'bunny between knees' method, so am sure he will cope with 4 days of medicating :)

Glad to hear that hubby can managed the medicating and that Teddy is feeling better within himself. I hope that the lads dont get up to too much mischief when you are away !!

Really great :D - hubbys can have unexpected uses that we never dreamed of when we married them :lol:

I know with humans that nettle seeds are an extremely effective tonic for kidneys, so good infact that it can stop some patients from needing dialysis. I'm saying from a Naturopathic nutritionist/herbalist perspective. Does anyone know if it is the same for bunnies? The leaves on their own arent strong enough in the right components, it has to be the seeds which are rife at this time of the year. I'm just wondering if they are safe for bunnies and if teddy could benefit if his kidneys need a bit of tlc in the longer term???

I know with humans that nettle seeds are an extremely effective tonic for kidneys, so good infact that it can stop some patients from needing dialysis. I'm saying from a Naturopathic nutritionist/herbalist perspective. Does anyone know if it is the same for bunnies? The leaves on their own arent strong enough in the right components, it has to be the seeds which are rife at this time of the year. I'm just wondering if they are safe for bunnies and if teddy could benefit if his kidneys need a bit of tlc in the longer term???

Interesting. Doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the sure to where rabbits are concerned.

Quick update - Teddy did around 10 days on baytril and had his pee re-tested. Absolutely fine ... protein now only a trace so alls well in that respect. So very relieved :D

He does have a wet eye, but will start another thread on that issue :?

Quick update - Teddy did around 10 days on baytril and had his pee re-tested. Absolutely fine ... protein now only a trace so alls well in that respect. So very relieved :D

He does have a wet eye, but will start another thread on that issue :?

I am so glad to hear of Teddy's good report concerning his wee problem.

Sorry to hear he has a wet eye now - gracious, he does want to keep you on your toes, doesn't he? :)

Back