• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder Sludge

cara

Alpha Buck
Teddy is 4 plus years (adopted, so actual age unsure).

We picked him up from 2 weeks boarding last Sunday and really, he hasn't been himself since - sometimes lathargic and very small poops. On Friday, I confined him to the kennel/run to observe his 'input and output', which seemed fine and in addition, he was eager to eat :love: so let him back into the garden.

This weekend though, he has been hiding away again, so again confined him to his accommodation. His 'input and output' have been non-existent so have today taken him to the vets (not my usual one).

His temp was slightly low (she thought this could be due to the loose poop he was passing :?) but everything else seemed fine - Tum and teeth (as far as she could tell). At this point I was fairly convinced it was all due to something he had eaten in the garden. Oh, one other thing, I have seem him stumble on a couple of of occasions, but on the whole, his balance and mobility is fine.

He was given painkiller, gut stimulant and baytril ... standard stuff. Since bringing him home he has seemed more perky and interested in food such as dandelions. But no 'output' - neither pee or poop.

BUT taking Teddy out of that carrier, I was immediately struck by the really chalky pee he has done on a towel ... def bladder sludge as it perfectly matches images on the Internet. Also, immediately after returning from boarding, he had flicked some pee which left chalky blobs. It wasn't as nearly as chalky as today's though, which has dried to a kind of solid thin layer. I am wondering if this is the cause of his problems rather than my initial assumption of him having eaten something he shouldn't have.

What can anybody advise please? Thoughts very welcome. I am giving him lots of dandelions and leafy stuff in the hope it will help. Could he have peed it out on the towel and could it right itself? Obviously, depending on how he he is overnight, I would take him to my own vets.

Another pointer, is that Teddy always pees when anxious .. including being in his carrier. I was all set to take a sample but unusually he hadn't. Wish I had thought to mention this to the vet. Now other than the sludge at 4ish, I haven't seen anything (just been to check). :cry: Am feeling anxious about the night ahead.

Did the boarders give him a bottle of water if he's used to a bowl? Maybe he needs more water to flush his bladder out. Could you syringe some water into him? When one of mine had bladder issues the vet put some fluid subcut. Their wee usually has some sediment in it but if you think it's more than usual perhaps you could encourage him with wet greens, grass, etc. I think it takes time to build up so try not to panic!

Thanks for your reply. He was given a bowl of water when boarding.

Just checked on him again and still no pee or poops. And he hasn't touched his usual nighttime snack. Very stressful. He did drink water when we came back from the vets though.

Will try more dandelions. Anybody else any suggestions please?

Were you given more gut stimulant and pain relief to give to him at home? It's usually necessary to continue with these until the rabbit is completely back to normal. If he's in pain, he will be reluctant to eat.

If he's not eating at all I think I would syringe him some recovery food or some liquid food made up with his normal pellets. Then I would take him to your normal vets in the morning.

Sending lots of vibes for him. I hope he improves soon.

Thanks for advice.

I have Metacam at home, but am unsure whether he can have anymore before the morning. I don't have any of the gut stimulant. I have never been successful syringe feeding and don't have any recovery food.

If things haven't improved overnight, I will most certainly taking him to the vets tomorrow.

Is he drinking enough? His pee may be more concentrated than normal if he is not drinking enough.
Could he have bladder stones or a UTI? Do you have Batril to give him at home too?
My vet now doses Medicam for every 24 hours. Some bunnies may need a split dose every 12 hours.

Just a quick update ... very late last night visit and Teddy has peed and (slightly) pooped. Immense relief. Still not sure what is going on but very grateful and relieved :love:

Greeted me and did eat a couple of pellets and a little bit of dandelion. He look more perky.

However poops are very, very tiny, black and not many. He looks like he has peed, once or twice .. not as nearly as much as normal. But not chalky but pale red (I know food can do this). I have managed to take a sample so both it and Teddy have an appointment this morning with our usual vet today.

Hope the sample is suitable as I syringed it off newspaper.

Just a quick update ... very late last night visit and Teddy has peed and (slightly) pooped. Immense relief. Still not sure what is going on but very grateful and relieved :love:

Glad to hear this Cara :D

How is Teddy doing this morning?

Hi Mighty Max,

Teddy had a very thorough examination. Other than potential Spurs developing (but not thought to be troublesome), nothing to obvious.

However, urine sample did show raised protein levels. Teddy also did a sludgy pee in the carrier.

Initially we are treating for a possible UTI which could be causing discomfort and raised protein level (baytril 1.9ml once per day). He also had more emipred (sp?).

If no improvement, further look into raised protein, kidneys? I do remember 12 months ago, boarders did say he was doing unexpectedly large pees so am hoping its not a kidney issue.

Still not pooing and peeing as much as he should, but there is some output thankfully. Also, only really eating dandelions but again, grateful he is at least eating something. Seems in far less discomfort as well :)

Thank you MrsCoultas.

I hope things are more settled for you now, after the difficult time you had earlier in the year :wave:

Hi Mighty Max,

Teddy had a very thorough examination. Other than potential Spurs developing (but not thought to be troublesome), nothing to obvious.

However, urine sample did show raised protein levels. Teddy also did a sludgy pee in the carrier.

Initially we are treating for a possible UTI which could be causing discomfort and raised protein level (baytril 1.9ml once per day). He also had more emipred (sp?).

If no improvement, further look into raised protein, kidneys? I do remember 12 months ago, boarders did say he was doing unexpectedly large pees so am hoping its not a kidney issue.

Still not pooing and peeing as much as he should, but there is some output thankfully. Also, only really eating dandelions but again, grateful he is at least eating something. Seems in far less discomfort as well :)

Thank you for such a detailed update on Teddy :wave:

Seems very sensible to treat for a UTI in the first instance. I hope the raised protein levels won't indicate any issues with this kidneys :)

How is he doing today?

Teddy is on top form in spirits and behaviour. How was obviously in a great deal of discomfort. He remains on 1.9ml bayril.

However is poop's although increasing, are very tiny.

Timing for all this is terrible ... isn't it always! I am going away on Friday till Monday and that leaves husband to do medicating which, in conjunction with his work, is not going to be easy. It takes 2 of us to successfully administer baytril. To be honest (will check) I am not sure how long he should be taking the med? Anyone give me a guide for now?

Also, the protein in urine is a concern. Am really hoping its due to sludge or UTI but I have my suspicions. He does pee - a lot and his boarders were surprised enough to bring it to my attention over a year ago. If there had have been an underlying problem over 12 months ago, would it not have been an obvious problem by now?

For now though, I am just so grateful that he is such a happy bunny :love:

Teddy is on top form in spirits and behaviour. How was obviously in a great deal of discomfort. He remains on 1.9ml bayril.

Timing for all this is terrible ... isn't it always! I am going away on Friday till Monday and that leaves husband to do medicating which, in conjunction with his work, is not going to be easy. It takes 2 of us to successfully administer baytril. To be honest (will check) I am not sure how long he should be taking the med? Anyone give me a guide for now?

Also, the protein in urine is a concern. Am really hoping its due to sludge or UTI but I have my suspicions. He does pee - a lot and his boarders were surprised enough to bring it to my attention over a year ago. If there had have been an underlying problem over 12 months ago, would it not have been an obvious problem by now?

Give your vet a call. I would think not less than 7 days, though ...

Sorry about the timing - hope your hubby can manage the medications :)

With UTIs a long course of abx is often needed. Sometimes 14 days. I would certainly not want to give a course of less than 10 days. I'd give the Vet a call to confirm what has been prescribed. I'd try not to stress about the blood test results at this stage. Another blood test could be run after the course of treatment has been completed to re- assess how the kidneys are functioning. Perhaps your hubby could enlist the help of a friend when giving Blossom the meds ?

Back