• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc's updated health thread *u/d he's gone*

we spent hours and hours lying on the bed with him this afternoon. just stroking him, kissing him, telling him that we love him. just talking really and alot of crying. he's got one of his fleeces around him. we're spending tonight with him aswell as he's being collected to go to the crematorium tomorrow afternoon. or he's booked in at least. i'm struggling with the thought of letting him go. but i know he needs to rest in peace now. and i know i will never be ready for this next step.

he looks so beautiful. like he's doing his favourite flop and just sleeping deeply. x

we spent hours and hours lying on the bed with him this afternoon. just stroking him, kissing him, telling him that we love him. just talking really and alot of crying. he's got one of his fleeces around him. we're spending tonight with him aswell as he's being collected to go to the crematorium tomorrow afternoon. or he's booked in at least. i'm struggling with the thought of letting him go. but i know he needs to rest in peace now. and i know i will never be ready for this next step.

he looks so beautiful. like he's doing his favourite flop and just sleeping deeply. x

Yes, so peaceful and beautiful. What a wonderful way to remember him. I'm glad you've got this time with him right now.

Bless you both. Sending all my love xx

You will not be letting him go. All that made Bisc such a special Rabbit does not leave you when his physical form has to do so. The true Bisc is now forever in your heart and nothing and no-one can ever separate you from him. Of course there will be many times when you wish you could see him and cuddle him again. But during those times just sit and think of him, of all he gave you during his lifetime. Alongside the grief you will feel there will also be a realisation that a relationship as special as that you share with Bisc cannot be destroyed, not even by death. Bisc's presence will be with you for as long as you love and remember him, in other words his presence will remain with you forever.

i can't do this. i don't know how to live without him :cry:

((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))

You keep going second by second, one breath at a time. Bisc needs you to keep going to honour the memories he has left for you to treasure. I totally understand the feeling of not wanting to exist and I wont post any trite comments like 'time heals'. In my experience it doesn't, we just learn ways to try to cope with our loss.

I found having to care for my remaining Rabbits provided my with an enforced structure. I admit all I did was purely on automatic pilot. But it kept me 'safe' so-to-speak.

Perhaps you could give the GPs a clean out and maybe a bit of a re-arrangement of their accommodation. Perhaps the OH could go and buy a few new toys for them.

Just take the day one minute at a time ((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))) xx

((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))

You keep going second by second, one breath at a time. Bisc needs you to keep going to honour the memories he has left for you to treasure. I totally understand the feeling of not wanting to exist and I wont post any trite comments like 'time heals'. In my experience it doesn't, we just learn ways to try to cope with our loss.

I found having to care for my remaining Rabbits provided my with an enforced structure. I admit all I did was purely on automatic pilot. But it kept me 'safe' so-to-speak.

Perhaps you could give the GPs a clean out and maybe a bit of a re-arrangement of their accommodation. Perhaps the OH could go and buy a few new toys for them.

Just take the day one minute at a time ((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))) xx

it's just so painful. and all the guilt and what-if's. and all the things he will never do again. i feel so angry, so sad, so guilty. we've been through so much together. it's been such a long time and it's just all so different now and will never be the same ever again. :cry:

knowing we have to hand him over later is just killing me. i will never stroke him again or kiss his little ears. i just feel a sense of peace being in his presence.

i will try and get through a bit at a time. i've had some bad times but this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me :cry:

I am so sorry :cry: I know it is so hard :cry: I can't really add to what Jane has said so eloquently, just take things slowly and try to keep yourself occupied with as much as possible.

Hugs xx

it's just so painful. and all the guilt and what-if's. and all the things he will never do again. i feel so angry, so sad, so guilty. we've been through so much together. it's been such a long time and it's just all so different now and will never be the same ever again. :cry:

knowing we have to hand him over later is just killing me. i will never stroke him again or kiss his little ears. i just feel a sense of peace being in his presence.

i will try and get through a bit at a time. i've had some bad times but this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me :cry:

Can you ask your OH to trim off a bit of Bisc's fur. Then you can place some of it in a keepsake locket. I have done this with some of Morse's fur and a wear the locket every day.

I cant give you a magic formula to cope with your grief as we are all so different and what helps one person may not help another. All I will say is that there is no 'I should not be feeling like this' (whatever 'this may happen to be). How you feel is how you feel.

I know that we cant do much but listen and try to offer you empathetic support. We cant take the raw pain away or make any of it seem 'OK'. But speaking for myself I find just knowing that I can post my feelings of utter despair on here and most people will be kind in their responses, even if they cannot fully 'understand'. Those who dont want to offer a kind word need not bother opening the thread. So please dont feel that you cant post as much as you need to, there will always be someone here to 'talk' with

(((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) xx

It will never be the same again, but you will be able to love again although it will be different. And you have those GP's to keep you occupied in the meantime :)

And guilt? We all feel guilty as you know when something like this happens. But you and OH have done everything you could possibly do to make that little man's life a heaven on earth. Please try and be kind to yourselves, as no one could've done more than you both did, and you know I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

What will you do to create a lasting memory of bisc? Some people buy a plant or rose, or have the ashes in a keepsake box ....

Hugs xxx

I am so sorry for your loss.
It is such a heartbreaking time for you.

As others have said, try to take comfort in knowing what an amazing life you gave Bisc - as you did Matt. All you could give him, you did, what more can a rabbit want in life than to receive the love and respect you gave.

Take care and time. Xxxx

I am so sorry for your loss and understand your reluctance to let him go.

Back