• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

big fight after a dental......why?

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
apologies i haven't been about much lately - finally got the ok to move house so the van's coming this saturday (should be happy but i'm :censored: very tired and stressed).

anyhoo, eric and esme both went in for a dental yesterday. they stayed in overnight and i collected them at 11 this morning. all seemed fine in the car and i put the carrier down and opened the door when we got home (they've had 2 or 3 vet trips together for tooth checks but this is the first time they've both been kept in for treatment).

after an hour or so, all hell broke loose. i was on the phone to the letting agent and heard a major scuffle under the table - fur everywhere - so i dropped the phone and got a towel and a water spray. that broke them up but as i put the spray down, the chasing started again.

i set an extra pen up in the other room to give them some breathing space. they both seemed ok - esme really does seem in a foul mood but eric's ok (think he was just scared and missing quite a few tufts of fur).

they're both eating and pooping. they had pain relief yesterday but none today as they were eating voluntarily.

i introduced them again earlier - instant fighting and i have no idea why. they have been getting along great (recently they've been flopped together a lot too).

i can't reintroduce them on neutral territory again at the moment as i'm packing to start shifting stuff on friday and am having to divide my time between the 2 rooms they are in as i hate them being alone. the plan was to clear the living room by friday so that during the big move on saturday, the buns could remain in there without interruption.

not sure what to do right now - except waffle on here and maybe sit and have a good sob:roll:

any advice please?

wendy, eric & esme

Maybe it could be because one/both of them is a little bit 'under the weather' after their dentals.

Alfie picked on Bubbles after she was spayed (they were pretty newly bonded) and I think it was because she was so subdued and wasn't up to performing her grooming duties. :roll:

I can't offer any helpful advice as I would probably be straight on here asking what everybody else thinks if I was in the same boat. :oops: I'm sure it's just a temporary setback though. Hopefully somebody who is more help than I've been will be along soon. ;)

Good luck with the move. xx

thank you karen:)

esme seems bright enough - just in a vile mood:?

i think this was her first dental tho as when i adopted her, although her teeth were 'long', they didn't need filing. my vet has checked her twice and this time decided they had to be done. eric was due too so i thought leaving them together would help. obviously not:roll:

i wonder if she'll feel better tomorrow? trouble is, i fear the damage to the bond may have already happened:(

could be its cos they smell different after being at the vets,I would treat them as a new bond for a day or so,take them for a trip in the car in the carrier etc. Good luck with the house move!!

could be its cos they smell different after being at the vets,I would treat them as a new bond for a day or so,take them for a trip in the car in the carrier etc. Good luck with the house move!!

i wondered that but they were both there so would have both smelled 'vety'??

eric's a stress pot in the carrier and the car but esme flops and dozes - not sure that would be best right now (plus, if a fight broke out, i'd probably cause an accident by doing an emergency stop to sort the bunnies out:oops:)

my bonded pair used to fight in the carrier so car journeys were out of the question but saying that Chloe [Fat Fluffs] put them in and when a scuffle started she stopped it by picking it up and tapping on the side,whereas I'd have been trying to get them out,so I suppose you could try putting them in the carrier and carrying them around the house-safer option! It always amazes me that bunnies are supposed to be so sociable yet do all this fighting ,chasing etc :roll:

my bonded pair used to fight in the carrier so car journeys were out of the question but saying that Chloe [Fat Fluffs] put them in and when a scuffle started she stopped it by picking it up and tapping on the side,whereas I'd have been trying to get them out,so I suppose you could try putting them in the carrier and carrying them around the house-safer option! It always amazes me that bunnies are supposed to be so sociable yet do all this fighting ,chasing etc :roll:

i do that - tap on the carrier and shout 'oi' if there's any stamping or scuffling:lol:
the 'normal' chasing etc i expect but i've never seen so much fur around as yesterday. when their bonding started, i adopted the 'leave them to it to sort it out' approach whilst i watched just in case anything got out of hand.

they're each having their afternoon nap now and although i'd like to try them together later, after what the vet said, maybe i should leave it:?

Poor you, maybe they are picking up on the stress of moving house! I think putting them together in an enclosed space like the carrier or something slightly bigger might help. My boys are being grumpy with each other at the moment and they haven't got dentals or a house move as an excuse!:roll:

Good luck!

Poor you, maybe they are picking up on the stress of moving house! I think putting them together in an enclosed space like the carrier or something slightly bigger might help. My boys are being grumpy with each other at the moment and they haven't got dentals or a house move as an excuse!:roll:

Good luck!

thank you. hope your two settle down soon too:)

Back