• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way to get Sophie clean?

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I did her check-up today and she's a bit dirty underneath:

T1a6ZTYh.jpg

She's mostly been able to keep herself clean since starting the Metacam, but she still has a bit of trouble so it's not as clean as I'd like. It's all dry, so I was wondering if I could comb it out with a flea comb? Would that work? Except I'm not sure how I would hold her and comb her there at the same time, seeing how I only have two hands and she really doesn't like it when I touch that area. I hope a bum bath isn't necessary as it'd stress her out?

Hmm, it's hard to say. I think you can wipe that area with a slightly damp cloth. But I do not recommend a bath. I regret giving Cookie a butt bath. Because his back feet were wet in the butt bath, so his skin was vulnerable. And because the skin of rabbits is very thin, calluses formed due to friction. Then he had to undergo treatment in this. Let the bathroom be your last option.

I also think that a comb might take too long, plus might pull on her fur and cause pain. If she's going to get stressed by your intervention then whatever you choose should be quick. Also the situation is not severe, so if it were me, I would be happy with having short attempts with it, whilst accepting that the first go probably wouldn't remove it all.

I think I would try first with a soft cloth, wetted with plain water. This would also have the benefit that you could have the cloth in one hand while holding her with the other. With a comb, I think I would need both hands, so one holding the comb, the other holding the fur.

It's not that bad - I would comb it out and / or use a damp cloth or baby wipe to clean it off, but I wouldn't be too worried. She may well sort it herself overnight. It's definitely not worth the stress of a bum bath. Her feet are also nice and clean, so she's managing pretty well.

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone. They're very helpful. :love: I'm glad you all think it's not so bad. I wasn't sure if it was bad enough to have to do something about it or if it's okay to leave it, as I do worry about fly strike, even though there aren't really many flies around right now... Trying a damp cloth sounds best, then, and if it doesn't easily come off I'll just leave it. A damp cloth does sound easier than trying to comb it, since, yes, I'd need a hand to hold her fur so I don't hurt her, and then another hand to do the combing, and then another hand to hold her, which isn't really possible. Thank you for the help, really. :)

We've usually used a slightly damp cloth dab/wipe for the occasional similar stains we've seen.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

We've usually used a slightly damp cloth dab/wipe for the occasional similar stains we've seen.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
Ah, sounds like that's the best way, then. I'll try today. :)

the indignity ...poor Sophie :lol:
I did think about whether I should post her photo or if I should let her keep her privacy, but I decided to post it anyway. :oops: Poor Sophie indeed. :lol:

Back