• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ben's Thread - 18/3/11 Vibes for nahla please?:(

My vets don't do routine ops friday or saturday because they are not open sat pm or sunday if there is a problem. But I guess all vets are different :)

Yes send a packed lunch and he should be given a pain killing injection and gut stimulant as a routine part of the service :D

Okay thankyou:D I can't quite believe it but he's sat in a giant pink sparkly storage box right now eating tonnes of hay:shock: He NEVER eats hay:lol: What a contrary little boy:lol:

Update 5/3/11

Just rang the vets, forgot that they were closed on a Saturday.

The reason I rang them was to book Ben in for his neuter.... so I'll have to do it on Monday.

I'm booking him in for Thursday:(

I think you are doing the right thing. It is so lovely seeing buns together and it does sound like Ben is miserable at the moment. He is probably very frustrated.

I know it is different - but I was very unsure about whether to let Sue have her myxi jab. She only has half a kidney working and is underweight and I was terrified it would make her poorly and she may die. I knew if I had it done and she died I would feel dreadful and if I didn't have it done and she caught myxi and died I would feel dreadful.

I went with my vet's advice - he thought Sue was well enough for myxi, but not VHD - and let Sue have the jab. She was absolutely fine:)

I will still worry when her next myxi jab is due though. I think Bunny Mummies and Daddies always worry - it's in the job description:)

I hope everything goes ok for Benji and that he will be able to be bonded and have two lovely girlfriends :)

I understand how much of a tough decision this must have been for you, so well done :wave:

I think you are doing the right thing. It is so lovely seeing buns together and it does sound like Ben is miserable at the moment. He is probably very frustrated.

I know it is different - but I was very unsure about whether to let Sue have her myxi jab. She only has half a kidney working and is underweight and I was terrified it would make her poorly and she may die. I knew if I had it done and she died I would feel dreadful and if I didn't have it done and she caught myxi and died I would feel dreadful.

I went with my vet's advice - he thought Sue was well enough for myxi, but not VHD - and let Sue have the jab. She was absolutely fine:)

I will still worry when her next myxi jab is due though. I think Bunny Mummies and Daddies always worry - it's in the job description:)

Yes he's a bit sexually frustrated and I do think it must be horrible for the poor guy sometimes.

He's relatively perky in himself but as he's five it's been such a hard decision.... he's just so delicate. I've got it in my mind that I'm going to lose him under GA.

But it has to be done. I want him to be happy.

I hope everything goes ok for Benji and that he will be able to be bonded and have two lovely girlfriends :)

I understand how much of a tough decision this must have been for you, so well done :wave:

Thankyou:)

I'm hoping all three bond, not only for their benefit but if all three live together then hopefully I may be able to convince my parents to let me have a playhouse on the decking for them or something.

It sounds like you've already worked out what you want to do :)

I'm just going to add my spin on it anyway.

When you're thinking about him, its very clear that you already know what you think is best for him.

The issue that is stopping you is issues about yourself, not about him. You're scared of losing him (which is completely understandable), but that's an issue only for you.

Part of being a good animal owner is to look at their needs and what is best for him, which, from all you've said, seems to be a neuter.

If anything happened to him under a GA he would't know. He's not going to worry about it prior to it, and he won't feel any pain or suffer under the GA. If he dies, you are the one that carries the pain, and you will spend your time worrying. He won't suffer, it will be you.

If he died under GA then hopefully, in time, you would find comfort in the fact that you did absolutely what you thought was best for him (which is all any owner can do). If you kept him by himself because you were selfish and scared to get him neutered then likely, later on, you would then feel guilt for that (especially when he died), which can be very painful.

Now, I can see you've made your decision and your decision is based on your complete love for him, and putting his needs before yours. That makes him very lucky. You're a great owner and in the unlikely event that anything happens to him, at least you will know you always tried your hardest and always tried to do what was best for him. He is very lucky to have you :)

It sounds like you've already worked out what you want to do :)

I'm just going to add my spin on it anyway.

When you're thinking about him, its very clear that you already know what you think is best for him.

The issue that is stopping you is issues about yourself, not about him. You're scared of losing him (which is completely understandable), but that's an issue only for you.

Part of being a good animal owner is to look at their needs and what is best for him, which, from all you've said, seems to be a neuter.

If anything happened to him under a GA he would't know. He's not going to worry about it prior to it, and he won't feel any pain or suffer under the GA. If he dies, you are the one that carries the pain, and you will spend your time worrying. He won't suffer, it will be you.

If he died under GA then hopefully, in time, you would find comfort in the fact that you did absolutely what you thought was best for him (which is all any owner can do). If you kept him by himself because you were selfish and scared to get him neutered then likely, later on, you would then feel guilt for that (especially when he died), which can be very painful.

Now, I can see you've made your decision and your decision is based on your complete love for him, and putting his needs before yours. That makes him very lucky. You're a great owner and in the unlikely event that anything happens to him, at least you will know you always tried your hardest and always tried to do what was best for him. He is very lucky to have you :)

Thankyou, that's really made me well up:lol:

one of my bunnies Sooty, was successfully spayed at 9yrs of age so he's not that old.:)
You have lots of back up on here re post-op care and your vet sounds good.
sue:wave:

one of my bunnies Sooty, was successfully spayed at 9yrs of age so he's not that old.:)
You have lots of back up on here re post-op care and your vet sounds good.
sue:wave:

Wow that's amazing!
Thankyou for sharing that with me, I feel a little more confident:)

I know this may seem a little off topic, but we adopted a special needs kitty who was high risk for anaesthesia - she had hyperthyroidism. Anyway, she developed a cyst on the back of her neck that grew slowly but eventually became uncomfortable. So we found ourselves in the same position as you.

In the end we went for quality of life and had it done. The little love sailed through it and was transformed by its removal. Sadly she only lived for another 8 wks - she had other issues too - but looking back I wondered why I'd worried so much.

On the other hand, if the worst had happened......:(

Its a gamble but at the end of the day you have to make sure the odds are stacked in favour of your decision.

Just a thought - are you able to be with him for a few days after his op to help him with his recovery and keep him warm too. The forecast is for cold nights - whether indoors or out.

Good luck with Thurs - and you have the full support of all us RUers :)

I know this may seem a little off topic, but we adopted a special needs kitty who was high risk for anaesthesia - she had hyperthyroidism. Anyway, she developed a cyst on the back of her neck that grew slowly but eventually became uncomfortable. So we found ourselves in the same position as you.

In the end we went for quality of life and had it done. The little love sailed through it and was transformed by its removal. Sadly she only lived for another 8 wks - she had other issues too - but looking back I wondered why I'd worried so much.

On the other hand, if the worst had happened......:(

Its a gamble but at the end of the day you have to make sure the odds are stacked in favour of your decision.

Just a thought - are you able to be with him for a few days after his op to help him with his recovery and keep him warm too. The forecast is for cold nights - whether indoors or out.

Good luck with Thurs - and you have the full support of all us RUers :)

I'm glad your cat managed to have a good few weeks after her op:)

And yes I kind of do, after the op he'll be in my room for a few days... I know it's not the recommended thing to do (keep a bun outside and then move them in etc) but it's so I can keep an eye on him. I'll be at college on Friday but my mum will be here with him:)

Thanks for the support xx

Okay so when I ring the vet on Monday, what questions should I ask?

These are the ones I've got so far:

How much will the op cost? (VAT has increased since I last got an invoice)
Will he receive a gut stimulant injection and dose of pain killers as part of the service if all goes well?
How much would it cost to get an extra few days of pain meds?
If I send him a lunchbox of all his favourite things, will they make sure these are all offered to him after he comes round?

Is there anything else I should ask do you think?:wave:

Further update:

Looks like I'll be booking Nahla in for a spay at the same time as Benji's neuter.

She's tail wagging, spraying, grunting and growling, she even chased me!:lol:

So it's going to be an expensive vet trip:lol:

Just realised I have nowhere to put them both. Do you think Nahla would mind if I confined her to my shower cubicle for the night?:lol:

Anyone?:)

I guess people are just sick of me talking about it now:) My parents told me this morning to shut up about the rabbits and just get it done if I want to waste my money... even though they gave me £100 last month to help cover spaying costs:(

Back