• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Becoming a breeder ?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha im not botherd about the troll thing some people have very small minds and dont actuali think to ask before they judge why some1 asks a question :) .
its pure curiousity, as a few people i know hobby breed and keep the majority of buns between them and then the rest go to loving homes.
they love it but they said they wouldnt recommend doing it i was just wondering if any1 shared the same opinon x

What part of the process is so enjoyable? As opposed to just enjoying say a pair of neutered pets?

I think there are three types of breeder, the ones who want to make some quick money, the ones who love animals but dont know where to stop, and those who are genuinely interested in improving the breeds of bunnies and increasing the populations of rare breeds.
I think the third kind of breeder who is reponsible and breeds selectively is nessecary to promote healthy bunny populations, there will always be a demand and that seems to me the most ethical way to supply.

Ideally, all individuals who wish to breed animals should be regulated to ensure welfare standards are met etc.

Sadly those "loving homes" often start out that way but don't turn out to be "forever homes". Buns are hard work and done right, costly and time consuming too, they are a big commitment for 10 or 12 years with a bit of luck and many people just aren't aware of what they are letting themselves in for - the rabbit becomes unwanted and is passed on, freecycled, ebayed, gumtreed, preloved or worse neglected or let loose to fend for itself :(

they breed for colour and improving. they enjoy the fact that they know they have lovley happy healthy buns and that they are all loved, but they dont enjoy the some loss that can come from certain situations x

No I disagree with breeding all rabbits personally, for all the aforementioned reasons, and more. :)

Haha im not botherd about the troll thing some people have very small minds and dont actuali think to ask before they judge why some1 asks a question :) .
its pure curiousity, as a few people i know hobby breed and keep the majority of buns between them and then the rest go to loving homes. they love it but they said they wouldnt recommend doing it i was just wondering if any1 shared the same opinon x

Sadly, this is not always true. :( One of my bunnies used to be a breeder's show-bunny, until she got old (3 years old). She was no longer good enough and was given to a rescue with the ultimatum that if the rescue didn't accept her, she would be 'necked'. :(
I know that there are many bunnies that end up in this situation. :(

they breed for colour and improving. they enjoy the fact that they know they have lovley happy healthy buns and that they are all loved, but they dont enjoy the some loss that can come from certain situations x

Is it possible they would get the same pleasure from rescuing bunnies that could do with happy homes just as much if not more?

its pure curiousity, as a few people i know hobby breed and keep the majority of buns between them and then the rest go to loving homes.
they love it but they said they wouldnt recommend doing it i was just wondering if any1 shared the same opinon x

It's not about people being small minded. It's about the fact that some people come on here to deliberately wind people up.

The title and content of your post does imply that you were considering breeding rabbits.

It's not about people being small minded. It's about the fact that some people come on here to deliberately wind people up.

The title and content of your post does imply that you were considering breeding rabbits.

1. im not winding any body up.
2. it doesent imply anything i had a question that i wanted to ask about that subject.
3. people shouldnt be judging or calling people names based on the fact that they wanted to know someting about a particular subject or if they were a breeder or anything anyway its a personal decision that doesent concern you.
i no people that breed purley for themselfs and they love and keep all the buns x

1. im not winding any body up.
2. it doesent imply anything i had a question that i wanted to ask about that subject.
3. people shouldnt be judging or calling people names based on the fact that they wanted to know someting about a particular subject or if they were a breeder or anything anyway its a personal decision that doesent concern you.
i no people that breed purley for themselfs and they love and keep all the buns x

Then don't post about it on a public forum, where you open it up for comment and discussion.

I think you are spot on.
Why would you risk any bun's life by breeding her/him
Arent there enough poor buns without a loving home already?
I think sally is right this is a wind up. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back