• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bayrtril - ideas how to administer

:wave:
I know you're finished with the batryl now but were you diluting it or giving it neat? Apparently it should be diluted 1 in 4 but then yes I've been told to sweeten it with blackcurrent. Critical care is an excellent "sick bunny" feed and is really strongly flavoured (1 sweet variety,1 bitter) and you can sneak all sorts in there. The CC may help with the poop situation too!

Good luck xxxx

Thanks everyone im sad to say non of the food tricks worked she looked sniffed and then looked at me like i was trying to poison her! so had to just syringe it in with a little ribeana!

ive spoken to the vet today and this was the last dose anyways her poop count still isnt what it was before op but we think that might be down to her not moving abouts as much so she is now allowed to have the garden back. So ive made a ramp for the backstep and ive let her have a hop about. Just going to keep a close eye on her but hopefully its just a few more days and all will be normal! The wound is looking good just a small scab on it but its only a week x

and hehe thanks kath!

I've just tried giving Maud her dose of Baytril on bread - gulped it down! :D

I've been struggling all week with that bloomin' syringe, and all the time it could have been this easy! :roll:

Roll on tomorrow morning :lol::lol::lol:

:wave:
I know you're finished with the batryl now but were you diluting it or giving it neat? Apparently it should be diluted 1 in 4 but then yes I've been told to sweeten it with blackcurrent. Critical care is an excellent "sick bunny" feed and is really strongly flavoured (1 sweet variety,1 bitter) and you can sneak all sorts in there. The CC may help with the poop situation too!

Good luck xxxx

I was giving it neat the vet didnt tell me i could dilute it never mind! Since i posted earlier we have had a big poop pile i think we are ok shes just taking her time to get back to 100% after the spay she not as tender in the tum as she was and the wound is almost healed, ive let her have a little hop around the garden tonight and she seems much happier. il have a google on the critical care and get myself soon.

I need to start a bunny first aid box so i prepared at the first signs of things in the future already got a sachet of the prebiotics becuase im sure thats what really helped us out x

p.s i live on the wirral too im in greasby!

I failed with the baytril tonight. First I tried it with the banana, no interest whatsoever. Next with bread, he turned up his nose at that too. I thought for sure the basil/baytril/basil sandwich would be a winner, but that didn't work either :sigh: :(

I also didn't know you could dilute it! I'll be trying apple juice with it tomorrow morning.

Should be dilated 1 part antibiotic to four parts water. Yep that does make the volume more of an issue!!!! Neat it can a little irritant to the skin in the mouth.
Good luck!!!!

Back