• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey’s ongoing bladder issues - kidney stones

He’s out of surgery, and I’ll get an update later on how he’s doing.

They managed to remove 10 stones in total ranging from 6mm to tiny ones!

Hopefully he’ll continue to be strong and start nibbling, pooping & weeing soon..

Thanks again everyone, I know how special the RU vibes are :love:

It sounds as though things have gone well so far and I really hope he will go on to make a full recovery xx

Aww poor Bailey, that's a lot of stones for his little bladder!

I'm glad he's come through the surgery ok and sending lots of vibes for his recovery xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much everyone, and sounds like the RU vibes have been working! :love:

He's had 3/4 bits of coriander/basil, passed a couple of poops and done a bloody wee, which is expected but at least he's passed some urine.

Now they've asked me what I want to do, whether I take him home or keep him in??

If I wanted to bring him home, they would look to give him a buprenorphine injection just before he comes home and I can top him up with Tramadol and metacam at home. I'm so tempted to bring him home as he's never had a night away from us, and surely he'll be more comfortable at home? (as surely the pain is similar to a spay no?)

Or do you think I should leave him in so they can monitor him??

I really don't know what to do.. xxx

Last edited:

He's had 3/4 bits of coriander/basil, passed a couple of poops and done a bloody wee, which is expected but at least he's passed some urine.

Now they've asked me what I want to do, whether I take him home or keep him in??

If I wanted to bring him home, they would look to give him a buprenorphine injection just before he comes home and I can top him up with Tramadol and metacam at home. I'm so tempted to bring him home as he's never had a night away from us, and surely he'll be more comfortable at home? (as surely the pain is similar to a spay no?)

The one thing that I'd want to ask the Vet about is any possibility of him having urethral spasms over the next 24 hours. If they were to occur he may need different medication. Also, as an impatient his blood loss can be monitored. It is unlikely to be an issue, but something to consider when weighing up risks versus benefits of bringing him home.

Sending lots more vibes for him xx

Last edited:
SO glad to hear this Ruth! I am not sure what to advise regarding bringing him home but I am sure you will do the right thing :)

I'm glad that he's come through the op well. Sending lots of vibes for a speedy recovery.

Oh your poor Bailey and 10 stones. Hope he is home and well very soon.

I always used to leave Mr B overnight, just incase. X

Depends on how your nerves are at the moment!

As the buprenorphine will likely make him drowsy you may want them to monitor him to save you panicking. But as you say, he may feel more comfortable at home

I'm really pleased he's had a bit of a nibble and a poop.

It's a really tough one deciding whether to keep him in or bring him home. Personally if it's just a case of syringe feeding recovery food and meds I prefer to look after them at home. But if there are things that need to be monitored closely, such as blood glucose or temperature then I would prefer to have them kept in. Definitely worth asking about the spasms as Jane mentioned.

He’s home!!! :)

Thanks so much everyone but my little man has come home! :love:

Initially we agreed he was going to stay overnight but I wanted to visit him and take Bella so he had company!

When we arrived, they brought in my bright eyed boy and he looked great! (I was expecting him to be quiet) but When they placed the carrier on the table, he was busy digging at the towel. I offered him some grass and basil.. he absolutely demolished it all and couldn’t shovel it into his mouth quick enough, even the senior nurse was shocked who was talking to me. As he was busy munching, he also passed about 15-20 solid round even with a golden tinge poops!

Think both of us was in shock and after he checked with Tom the vet, we agreed he would be fine to go home! :)

Since being home, he’s done 2 nice wees, both are slightly bloody but a good amount and now having a quiet sleep in his castle.

He had his buprenorphine at 4pm, and is due his tramadol at 10.30 tonight. So I’ve got everything crossed he can have a peaceful evening!

He’s such a little trooper and although in pain, he must feel so much better now all those stones have been removed xxx

Last edited:
Oh well done Bailey! I'm really glad he's home, it's horrible if they have to stay in at the vet's overnight.

I hope he has a comfortable night and goes on to make a full recovery xx

Oh so glad to hear Bailey is home and sounds like he is recovering well. Such a relief, glad he feeling a alot better now. Well done Bailey and Ruth xx

Thanks everyone! :love:

Pleased to report he had a comfortable night and been busy munching, pooping and weeing througout! He’s still a little quiet but he’s back to eating anything that’s given to him!

His wound is also looking nice and clean! Although I’m guessing I’m okay wipe it gently to remove any dried blood?

So proud of my little boy and thanks so much for everyone’s support and advice :love: :love:

And here they are this morning;

Last edited:
Back