• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey’s ongoing bladder issues - kidney stones

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your vibes and support.

We are so thrilled that he doesn’t have any kidney stones! (God knows what the emergency vet saw) but we’re so relieved.

However he does have about 6/7 stones in his bladder which are between 4-6mm in length. He’s booked in for surgery on Wednesday to have them removed!

I couldn’t believe how many of these stones had developed in a matter of 8 weeks!! The vet was saying it’s likely to be from his bladder infection he had after flushing. As the bacteria reacts with the calcium.. making it harder and likely to form stones. I’m so annoyed with myself too for not pushing for an X-ray sooner! God knows how much pain my poor little boy has been in.. :cry:

I am so relieved to hear that Bailey does not have any stones in his Kidneys and I really hope that his bladder surgery goes well on Wednesday x

Really, really thrilled for you! Although bladder stones/sludge are troublesome they are nowhere near as worrisome ad kidney stones. Hopefully this can be managed more easily. You must feel a massive weight of worry has been lifted.

Oh I am over the moon it is not kidney stones Ruthy! so happy that he has something fixable. But yes poor boy must be in pain poor sausage but you have been doing everything possible to get to the bottom of this. I think maybe the stones could have been there even before the flush and they were not able to be flushed out as they were too big - might be a possibility? Will be thinking of you both on Wednesday. But he will fine I know it. Just managing his bladder issues after. Sending hugs xx

You must be over the moon that the prognosis isn't as bad as initially thought.
I hope the operation goes well and that Bailey recovers quickly and without issue

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Oh I'm so relieved it's not kidney stones! Hopefully he'll be feeling a lot more comfortable after he has the bladder stones removed.

Also, we've not had our Bailey fix in a while. Maybe when he's feeling better he might be up for a photoshoot? [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much everyone, I’m so happy and relieved.

But the size of the stones is very worrying.. and providing the operation goes well, he’ll go on potassium as a diuretic to help with his water intake and cut down on calcium.

Considering we’ve given his insurance an absolute rinsing recently, I’m hoping he gets the break he deserves and can just be happy!

He’s got to stay in on Wednesday night as it’s abdominal surgery, but I’ll still be going in to visit him! Thanks again everyone and sorry in advance for all the worry I’ll probably have Wed morning!

Haha, thanks scrappy! I’m sure he’ll be more than happy to take part in a photo shoot when he’s feeling better.. xxx

Pleased to hear that it's not kidney stones, hopefully once the bladder ones are removed, Bailey will be feeling much much better, bless him xxxx

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your vibes and support.

We are so thrilled that he doesn’t have any kidney stones! (God knows what the emergency vet saw) but we’re so relieved.

However he does have about 6/7 stones in his bladder which are between 4-6mm in length. He’s booked in for surgery on Wednesday to have them removed!

I couldn’t believe how many of these stones had developed in a matter of 8 weeks!! The vet was saying it’s likely to be from his bladder infection he had after flushing. As the bacteria reacts with the calcium.. making it harder and likely to form stones. I’m so annoyed with myself too for not pushing for an X-ray sooner! God knows how much pain my poor little boy has been in.. :cry:

What amazing news! I did wonder about the diagnosis and you must be incredibly relieved!

I hope the surgery for the bladder stones goes well. Hugs xx

I hope the operation goes well and he’s soon feeling a lot better. Sending lots more vibes xx

Thanks so much everyone, I’m so scared and feel such a meanie..

Typical I know but in the last 24 hours, he’s picked up so much, he’s eating everything I put in front of him and actually lying down instead of sitting hunched so I don’t know what’s changed or maybe just because he’s on good pain relief.

I’m hoping it’s a sign that he’ll be fine and keep strong through today Xxx

Here he is at the moment having some love from Bella;

Typical I know but in the last 24 hours, he’s picked up so much, he’s eating everything I put in front of him and actually lying down instead of sitting hunched so I don’t know what’s changed or maybe just because he’s on good pain relief.

Aww :love: I’m glad he is feeling good :love: I love the minion skittles, I want some for my bunnies now :lol:

What a beautiful picture I could just eat them both they are so cute!! Yes I hate when they improve on the day of a planned operation as it makes you have doubts and feel guilty but it's good for Bailey as he will be in a better place for recovery with a nice full tummy.. Looking forward to a good update Ruth and try not to worry too much but it's hard not to I know xx

So glad to hear he's feeling well in himself at the moment.

I shall be thinking of you all xx

He’s out of surgery, and I’ll get an update later on how he’s doing.

They managed to remove 10 stones in total ranging from 6mm to tiny ones!

Hopefully he’ll continue to be strong and start nibbling, pooping & weeing soon..

Thanks again everyone, I know how special the RU vibes are :love:

I’m so relieved that he’s come through the surgery ok, topping up the vibes for his recovery:thumb:

Last edited:
Oh I'm so glad he has come through his operation OK. That's a lot of stones poor Bailey. He is bound to feel more comfortable now. Hope he can come home very soon. Get well soon little Bailey xx

Back