• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back from the vets - Its not good:(

I'm really glad the outlook doesn't seem as dire as it did earlier. I really hope the new drug works quickly and Mopsy is back on her feet ASAP so you can relax :)

Thanks to Helen, The Duchess, I have just spoken to a lovely vet on the phone. She has suggested that diabetes insipidus is likely and that if this is the case then the drops should work almost straight away and make her feel a lot better. Fingers crossed.

She has suggested that I give the drops a week and if there is no improvement make an appointment with another more bunny savvy vet.

I have also learnt today that despite being the runt of the litter she is the only surviving litter mate.:( Strongly suggests a genetic cause.

hope she's improving:)
if it is diabetes insipidus, the drugs should work quickly (desmopressin?) x

Thanks to Helen, The Duchess, I have just spoken to a lovely vet on the phone. She has suggested that diabetes insipidus is likely and that if this is the case then the drops should work almost straight away and make her feel a lot better. Fingers crossed.

That sounds very promising, I'm so hoping that turns out to be the case. :love::love:

It is desmopressin I think. I will know this afternoon. The vet says its actually a human drug.

I really, really hope it works.

Wow. If she is the only survivor then you have probably done really well to keep her alive this far, and it sounds like things have taken a turn for the positive which is even better.

I really hope these drops work. for all your sakes.

How did he get on with it? Was the improvement a quick one? I'm pinning all my hopes on this helping Mopsy. I am really not ready to lose her.

The improvement was almost instant but he was not as poorly as Mopsy sounds to be. He just drank and wee'd gallons.

Strangely after some months the condition spontaneously resolved :?

He did not have abnormal LFTs though

It is desmopressin I think. I will know this afternoon. The vet says its actually a human drug.

I really, really hope it works.

it will if its di - honest! it is treatable when the correct amount of medication is sorted and believe me, if the smile has gone from her eyes because its this she's been living with, you should see some dramatic improvements in her energy levels etc (speaking from a hooman perspective of di of course. bloomin pituitary gland:roll:)

xxx

My DI Bun was on Desmopressin but he had it in injection form.

i'm only aware of the usual human methods - tablet, nasal spray (er not easy in rabbits - i couldn't master it:?) or injection. i'm off to do some research on other forms of desmo now.
(think my nurse contact at the pit foundation would think it odd if i asked questions on behalf of mopsy?)

i'm only aware of the usual human methods - tablet, nasal spray (er not easy in rabbits - i couldn't master it:?) or injection. i'm off to do some research on other forms of desmo now.
(think my nurse contact at the pit foundation would think it odd if i asked questions on behalf of mopsy?)

Nah, she'd think it odder if Mopsy asked her herself :)

Well I've just picked up the medicine and its the human nasal drop version but I have been told to use it as an eye drop. Am going to wait for o/h to get home before I give her the first drop just in case I need help.

While I was there I asked if they would be happy to fax blood/urine test results to another vet if I decided to see a more bunny savvy one. They are more than happy to do so which is great. They are lovely vets they've just never seen this before.

Nah, she'd think it odder if Mopsy asked her herself :)

how do we know the nurse isn't fluent in bunny language?:lol: (going to find nurse's email address and ask mopsy's mummy if she can type to her when she's feeling a bit better:D)

nasal drops are very quick acting - when snorted. anyone know how absorbant the eye tissue/membrane is?

Well I've just picked up the medicine and its the human nasal drop version but I have been told to use it as an eye drop. Am going to wait for o/h to get home before I give her the first drop just in case I need help.

While I was there I asked if they would be happy to fax blood/urine test results to another vet if I decided to see a more bunny savvy one. They are more than happy to do so which is great. They are lovely vets they've just never seen this before.

odd question i know but what dose are you to administer of the drop? reason i ask is that it is pretty potent stuff - and its easy to 'overdose' and therefore have the opposite effect of not weeing and retaining water until you get the dose balance to suit (again, the electrolyte imbalance can make you feel really quite ill. i know i'm not mopsy but i thought i'd offer any info i have on desmopressin in case it helps:D)

i never had a prob giving eric eye drops. rubbed his nose to calm him then pulled his upper lid gently whilst tilting his head. suppose we all try to find a way that works for us.

odd question i know but what dose are you to administer of the drop? reason i ask is that it is pretty potent stuff - and its easy to 'overdose' and therefore have the opposite effect of not weeing and retaining water until you get the dose balance to suit (again, the electrolyte imbalance can make you feel really quite ill. i know i'm not mopsy but i thought i'd offer any info i have on desmopressin in case it helps:D)

It was for the dosing reasons that my Vet prescribed the injections.

Back