• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby buns & pellets.

luna

Mama Doe
When I have had baby buns in the past I have fed unlimited pellets. I really want to encourage freddie to eat hay so I am giving him only 3 egg cups of burgess a day. I'm thinking maybe I should increase this as he is left with no pellets sometimes and I want to fatten him up in preparation for the plum fairy in 6 weeks. Lol :) he is 8 weeks old and loves his food.

He is a great little hay eater so I want to keep it this way :)

Does anyone have any opinions out of curiosity?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

i think if he loves his hay then he will even if you feed a bit more. i fed bisc and matt unlimited pellets when they were babies but i don't know if it's better they have more hay even when young. sorry, probably no help. :oops: x

I've never fed either of my two unlimited pellets as such. The breeder I got them from said they should have 2oz of food a day so I just stuck to that but transferred them to SS over the 1st 10 days. When Bunny went to the vets for her jabs he said "1 egg cup per kg" but as she was 0.5kg at the time that seemed like a v small amount so I just gave her a big handful twice a day. She didn't seem to suffer and now weighs a steady 1.5kg on just under 1.5 egg cups. I know the SS packet says unlimited hay and pellets to 20 weeks and the house rabbit association say unlimited pellets to 7 months. Sorry if that's not much use...! 😊

I've been feeding George 2 egg cups of pellets a day (morning and evening) from 8 weeks because he wasn't a huge hay eater and I wanted to encourage that. I sprinkle dried forage on top of the hay to make it more appealing. I find that if he has too many pellets, his poops are very dark/almost black. Someone also recommended 2 cups to me on here as well because I was worried about over feeding and hay intake etc.....

I think it's all down to what works for you and your bun because some people swear by unlimited pellets but I know if I gave George that he would over indulge and pig out lol

Thanks for your replies :) I have been giving him 4 egg cups of pellets a day and am going to start cutting back when he is neutered (4/5 weeks time).

If I do notice that he is ignoring his hay I will review the pellet quantities again :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Back