• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunny with the broken leg U/D video 156

Oh noo :'( I so wish I didn't click into this thread I am heart broken for the little thing! I really hope things work out ok :( he/she is beautiful, is she a lion head ;)? Xxx

Sorry if i missed it but is the leg just broken or is this a case of splay legs?

I used to have a rabbit with splay legs, his hind legs pointing outwards, he had to drag his legs to move around but i hated to see him suffer like that.
I didn't live long.

And now seeing this rabbit it kinda makes me frustrated because it's obvious that he is suffering too, you can give him painkillers and whatnot but that still doesn't gonna help him to walk around like a normal bunny. He'll will stay handicapped no matter the help and care he is going to get.
I don't believe a rabbit can be happy when he can't run around and do the normal things that a rabbbit should be able to do.
I wouldn't want any of my animals to be miserable like this, how can you?

Don't get me wrong, i don't mean to offend anyone, sorry if i did. But i don't think it's okay and justifying to let this bunny continue his life with deformed legs.
Even a wheelchair is not gonna make his live better either.

Click this link for more info and pictures on splay legs

Whilst I can understand how you may feel that way it is important that each Rabbit is assessed as an individual and not just as a 'diagnosis'. Yes, some Rabbits would be totally miserable if they were severely disabled. Other Rabbits with exactly the same problem may cope 100% well and go on to lead a long and happy life. Whilst I do understand how people may find seeing such a disability in a photo upsetting, 'quality of life' judgements can only be made when every aspect of the Rabbit's life is taken into account. So this would include things such as how the Rabbit copes with lots of 'hands on care'. How much time and effort the care-giver is able to put in to optimise the overall quality of the Rabbit's day to day life, including his/her psychological well-being.

I have a 3 legged Rabbit, he had to have his hind leg amputated when he was about 10 months old as he sustained a complicated compound fracture. He is now about 5 years old and he certainly enjoys his life

Here he is, his name is Harry

Rabbits2023-Optimized.jpg

Rabbits2027-Optimized.jpg

Rabbits2024-Optimized.jpg

Rabbits2032-Optimized.jpg

So it is impossible to make a valid judgment on a Rabbit's quality of life just by looking at a photo :)

Last edited:
Just wanted to send lots of love and vibes in this little one's direction. Will be thinking of you sweety xx

Baby bun update

Baby is back from the vets, there are complications and several things need to be done.

Theo is ringing the woman that owned the baby bunny to find out as much as possible. Age, vet treatment, what medicines it may have been on.

The leg will need amputating and there is signs of infecton. Swaps will be taken.

The baby - sex still can't be determined, but I will stick to she for now, is ok in herself. Eating, normal poos and active. She cuddled up last night with a toy bunny.

I just can't get over the fact that the woman can't be prosecuted for letting this go on with her rabbit. Do you know how long ago the injury happened? And she didn't even take him/her to the vet for treatment...All animals should have access to veterinary care.

backwards country with silly regulations :censored: just because you took the rabbit they can't do anything. What a load of rubbish

Hope s/he gets on well, poor thing, very pretty rabbit indeed x

Another update.

Woman doesn't know where or who the vets is, said her sister took the baby, nor does she know what meds it was on. :roll: Theo hopes to get an answer at 8 pm tonight. If not, Theo's vet will go ahead with treatment tomorrow.

Because the baby is so tiny, if she has had treatment it could be risky, if there are other medications still in her system. So frustrating.

Aww it makes you wonder whether the baby has even been to the vets or been on medication :?::cry:

I'm glad she's getting sorted out now

Last edited:
Gosh what a frustrating time you must be having.

Sending strong healing warmth to this little darling.

Please, please, please little one .....be strong. We love you sweetheart. xxx

Omg, he/she is absolutely tiny. :cry: :cry: The poor baby. I am outraged that there is nothing the RSPCA or the law can do simply because you took the bun from the owner. I am sick and tired of the laws in this country, nothing works in favour of the animal :( Either you leave the poor thing in agony until someone decides to "investigate", where you can guarantee that nothing will be done for weeks on end if ever, or you take the bunny which means that nothing can be done because the bun is not in the awful owner's care. :evil::evil:
It's ridiculous! As I said on your other thread there may as well not be any law for animal welfare because it's completely useless.

I'm sending this tiny baby lots and lots of vibes. I hope you keep us updated. :cry::cry::cry: I really am rooting for this baby to pull through, he/she is a fighter to have lived so long in this state and still seem active etc.

Woman doesn't know where or who the vets is, said her sister took the baby, nor does she know what meds it was on. :roll: Theo hopes to get an answer at 8 pm tonight. If not, Theo's vet will go ahead with treatment tomorrow.

Because the baby is so tiny, if she has had treatment it could be risky, if there are other medications still in her system. So frustrating.

poor little thing. I would say its 99% that the little one has had no vet care. No vet would send her home like that. They would have insisted on either treatment or PTS and threatened her with law if didn't agree.
I hope she does well,. animals can do ok on 3 legs but try not to get too attached- infection in such a small young animal is often lethal:(

hm thats a very different story to what she told me when i asked. she said the leg had lots of pus but the vet prescribed antibiotics which she gave everyday, and the leg got better but she still didnt walk on it. Now shes saying the sister took her to the vet and she doesnt know. :(

hm thats a very different story to what she told me when i asked. she said the leg had lots of pus but the vet prescribed antibiotics which she gave everyday, and the leg got better but she still didnt walk on it. Now shes saying the sister took her to the vet and she doesnt know. :(

There probably was no vet. :cry: Any vet would have known straight away that it was broken and snapped at the hock. :cry::cry:

Sending mega vibes for this little babe, it is so upsetting to read her story but so very heart warming knowing the love and care she will now receive......... Huge well done to you all:wave:

Back