• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

at what ages have your bunnys passed away

I havent lost any yet but Im just wondering ..

The buns that go to the bridge young (e.g 4 months, 6 months) were they ill or did they just pass away unexplained - my buns is 3 months and i dont know if i could handle him going so young :cry:

Ups... :? I thought the average for a rabbit's life was about 8 but.... the most I can see here passed away about 3 or 4..... :cry:

The buns that go to the bridge young (e.g 4 months, 6 months) were they ill or did they just pass away unexplained - my buns is 3 months and i dont know if i could handle him going so young :cry:

Of mine

Flash 9 months- Had an incident with a cat, and my useless vet was not useful, and my lack of knowledge meant I didn't know any better. Died at vets with me there.
Oz 2 years- Died on the table during an emergency spay (also with the useless vet).
Tubby 12 (just)
Boof 3 years- Died of some sort of organ failure (seen by the useless vet that day and they said she would be fine). Died at home. Died at home in my mum's arms.
Sunshine 8 years- Down to useless vet again, dental stuff. PTS on the operating table.
Sweep 9 years

In all those that I have added explanations to I blame myself more than the vet because I should have known better, and in all cases there were other circumstances that, due to my ignorance, also added to the situation, but did not directly kill the rabbit. I still completely blame myself though. Had I known more every single one of those would have done better than they did, and all bar one would probably have survived those incidents (I don't think Boof would have).

Since learning more and getting a decent vet I have lost two buns. Both to cancer. (Those were Sweep and Summer).

Of mine

Flash 9 months- Had an incident with a cat, and my useless vet was not useful, and my lack of knowledge meant I didn't know any better. Died at vets with me there.
Oz 2 years- Died on the table during an emergency spay (also with the useless vet).
Tubby 12 (just)
Boof 3 years- Died of some sort of organ failure (seen by the useless vet that day and they said she would be fine). Died at home. Died at home in my mum's arms.
Sunshine 8 years- Down to useless vet again, dental stuff. PTS on the operating table.
Sweep 9 years

In all those that I have added explanations to I blame myself more than the vet because I should have known better, and in all cases there were other circumstances that, due to my ignorance, also added to the situation, but did not directly kill the rabbit. I still completely blame myself though. Had I known more every single one of those would have done better than they did, and all bar one would probably have survived those incidents (I don't think Boof would have).

Since learning more and getting a decent vet I have lost two buns. Both to cancer. (Those were Sweep and Summer).

awww thanks for the explanations - Im shocked how many are down to useless vets :censored::cry: - why should you know better than a vet?? - that is meant to be their job!! :censored:
Im sure you did everything you could at the time and in my opinion that is enough - Im sure i would feel the same though but at least you have learnt and are giving your bunnies a great life now... :love:

This makes for sad reading, so many young bunnies :(

I lost Daisy's little brother when he was only 11 weeks after only 2 days of having him. Went to bed and he seemed fine, came down in the morning and he'd gone. Think it may have been bloat and in my inexperience I didn't spot it :cry:

its just so depressing on here, all the poor buns, i think this web site is going to turn me into a nervous wreck:cry:

Childhood bunnies:
Posy Toes, 4 ish
Snuggles, 5 ish (uterine cance before I knew about spaying)

Adulthood bunnies:
Anya, 10 years
Flopsy, 9 years
Pipqueak, 5 yrs
Willow, 6 years

(All rescues so exact age unknown)

Our youngest loss, Maverick, was a litter runt. 6 months seems to be a very common age for runts to pass on....he died suddenly in his sleep (I found him in the morning) but our vets suspect he died from a congenital defect, probably his heart.

Our youngest loss, Maverick, was a litter runt. 6 months seems to be a very common age for runts to pass on....he died suddenly in his sleep (I found him in the morning) but our vets suspect he died from a congenital defect, probably his heart.

:cry::cry::cry::cry: thats what im worried about - sooty was a runt - shes now 6 months and im just terrified that something is going to happen
babysooty.jpg

this is her now (Much bigger :love:)
sootspicture-1.jpg

Mopsy was the runt of the litter too and she passed away at 6 months. She had been very sick though.

:cry::cry::cry::cry: thats what im worried about - sooty was a runt - shes now 6 months and im just terrified that something is going to happen
babysooty.jpg

this is her now (Much bigger :love:)
sootspicture-1.jpg

Well she looks like a normal healthy rabbit now, Maverick always looked about 12 weeks old, he kept that spiky baby fur and was small & thin.....like a permenant baby. :(

since my first rabbit i have lost
goofy found sleeping aged 6 (dwarf)
thumper very ill little bunny aged 1 1/2 (dwarf)
spice found sleeping aged 7 (mix)
flopsy shock aged 2 (lop)
socks cancer aged 9 (dutch)
tickles frettedfor socks aged 8 (dutch)
chip cancer aged 8 (dutch)
nibbles found sleeping aged 11 1/2 (dutch)
:cry:

Last edited:
Ophelia, a gorgeous orange mini lop at 5 months after her spay. She got a respiratory infection...:(!

Parsley - 12 years old (died of Flystrike, could have been prevented :()
Rosemary - 8 years old (died of ovarian cancer because I was 14 years old and had no idea that I was supposed to get her spayed)
Basil - 3 years old
Nutmeg - 6 years old
Dill - 1 year old (jumped on to a shelf, fell off and broke his back :( and was PTS)

Basil (pet shop rabbit we think he was a french lop) passed away at about 5/6ish we think it was some kind of heart failure or nerological damage as we found him fitting in his cage he passed before we got him to the vet :cry:

Back