• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ARTHRITIS..... & older bun care (sorry long post!)

treacletrim

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I'd love to hear people's experiences / feedback about arthritis in their bunnies, as I am new to the condition and am unfamiliar how it progresses / can flare up etc.

My bun Fred has recently been diagnosed with arthritis, he will be 7 in July. Him & his wifebun Patsy were outdoor buns but I have now brought them inside where they have adapted well. Fred started quite a while ago by leaving lots of uneaten cecals, and not keeping his bottom as clean. After thinking it may be diet related I chopped and changed a few things and managed to improve the situation, although it didn't completely solve it.

Along with the excess cecals I noticed Fred started being a little quieter and one evening in February he stumbled getting out of his litter tray and struggled to get up. He was taking longer to come down their ramp on a morning for breakfast. By next morning he was quite bad, very poor movement, short stiff hops, uncoordinated, and not being able to pick his feet up well. He seemed worse around his back end which has lost muscle mass gradually and quite weak around there. I whipped him to the vets scared he had EC and although the vet didn't think it was (he had no head tilt, although I know they don't always) he was treated with panacur for it and given a short course of metacam. Vet suspected arthritis at this point. After a couple of days on the metacam the difference was striking and he was running round much happier, eating really well and picking his feet up better. After finishing the short course of metacam, a few days later the excess cecals were back and he was a little unsure in his movement. Another trip to the vets and after a good examination and joint flexions the vet was sure he had arthritis, so he is now on metacam long term. It has definitely made a big difference and I have also started him on the Oxbow Joint support. The vet didn't see the point in an x-ray to confirm what was quite obvious, and to save him undergoing a GA. Fred has been on both meds for about 3 weeks now so hopefully the oxbow will take effect before long.

His progress has been really good and aside from the odd wobble when he tries to do anything too flexible, he is moving stronger, getting in and out of his litter tray fine and keeping himself clean. He runs round in circles when it's food time and has been very sprightly. However he had a set back just over a week ago which came on really quick and surprised me. I let them have a little time in the garden on a warm day which they enjoyed, and Fred even managed a few binkies. However the next evening he was off his food a little, and then again the morning after his movement was very poor again, just like the first time. He was off his food and hunched, and obviously in some pain. Another visit to the vets where he had a stronger painkilling jab, gut stimulant and a course of antibiotics just to be on the safe side, and of course continuing with the metacam. A couple of days later he had again perked up loads, was eating very well and flopping out relaxed again. He is now almost back to what is now good and normal for him, although I tentatively await another flare up.

Being new to all this, and having never had an older bun before I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. I was surprised at how quickly the second 'attack' came on but am wondering whether he strained himself doing the binkies? I am aware it is something that will progressively get worse over time, but is it usual for it to just quickly flare up like that? I suppose it does in people, who have 'off days'? Because he is an older bun and didn't have the best care before we got him, we have now decided to keep them both indoors where we can keep an eye on him in particular, and get pampered in his old age (well they both will!). I have made alterations to their set up (lots of vet bed cushioning, low fronted litter tray, memory foam mats etc!) but if anyone has any other suggestions for how I can help him that would be fab. Thank you x

I will be following this thread closely because my older bun Mimi (8 years) has recently showed signs of Arthritis herself. I have just ordered some of the Science Selective mature rabbit food to hopefully help her overall condition. I have also had a look for the Oxbow joint supplement aswell but can't seem to get it out here (France.)

I immediately thought he may have had a strain from the Binky also. Or subluxation of the spine perhaps.
The maintenance metacam is obviously giving him quality of life and this may have just been an unfortunate incident.
It would probably be useful to know what dose you can safely go up to for any times where he's overdone it or feeling the arthritis more.

A friend of mine had her rabbit started on Cartophen for his joints. I haven't heard as yet whether it's been a help or not. I'll try follow that up.

Hi everyone,

I'd love to hear people's experiences / feedback about arthritis in their bunnies, as I am new to the condition and am unfamiliar how it progresses / can flare up etc.

My bun Fred has recently been diagnosed with arthritis, he will be 7 in July. Him & his wifebun Patsy were outdoor buns but I have now brought them inside where they have adapted well. Fred started quite a while ago by leaving lots of uneaten cecals, and not keeping his bottom as clean. After thinking it may be diet related I chopped and changed a few things and managed to improve the situation, although it didn't completely solve it.

Along with the excess cecals I noticed Fred started being a little quieter and one evening in February he stumbled getting out of his litter tray and struggled to get up. He was taking longer to come down their ramp on a morning for breakfast. By next morning he was quite bad, very poor movement, short stiff hops, uncoordinated, and not being able to pick his feet up well. He seemed worse around his back end which has lost muscle mass gradually and quite weak around there. I whipped him to the vets scared he had EC and although the vet didn't think it was (he had no head tilt, although I know they don't always) he was treated with panacur for it and given a short course of metacam. Vet suspected arthritis at this point. After a couple of days on the metacam the difference was striking and he was running round much happier, eating really well and picking his feet up better. After finishing the short course of metacam, a few days later the excess cecals were back and he was a little unsure in his movement. Another trip to the vets and after a good examination and joint flexions the vet was sure he had arthritis, so he is now on metacam long term. It has definitely made a big difference and I have also started him on the Oxbow Joint support. The vet didn't see the point in an x-ray to confirm what was quite obvious, and to save him undergoing a GA. Fred has been on both meds for about 3 weeks now so hopefully the oxbow will take effect before long.

His progress has been really good and aside from the odd wobble when he tries to do anything too flexible, he is moving stronger, getting in and out of his litter tray fine and keeping himself clean. He runs round in circles when it's food time and has been very sprightly. However he had a set back just over a week ago which came on really quick and surprised me. I let them have a little time in the garden on a warm day which they enjoyed, and Fred even managed a few binkies. However the next evening he was off his food a little, and then again the morning after his movement was very poor again, just like the first time. He was off his food and hunched, and obviously in some pain. Another visit to the vets where he had a stronger painkilling jab, gut stimulant and a course of antibiotics just to be on the safe side, and of course continuing with the metacam. A couple of days later he had again perked up loads, was eating very well and flopping out relaxed again. He is now almost back to what is now good and normal for him, although I tentatively await another flare up.

Being new to all this, and having never had an older bun before I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. I was surprised at how quickly the second 'attack' came on but am wondering whether he strained himself doing the binkies? I am aware it is something that will progressively get worse over time, but is it usual for it to just quickly flare up like that? I suppose it does in people, who have 'off days'? Because he is an older bun and didn't have the best care before we got him, we have now decided to keep them both indoors where we can keep an eye on him in particular, and get pampered in his old age (well they both will!). I have made alterations to their set up (lots of vet bed cushioning, low fronted litter tray, memory foam mats etc!) but if anyone has any other suggestions for how I can help him that would be fab. Thank you x

Hi there :wave:

Sorry to hear about the flare ups for Fred. It's not nice anticipating it may happen again any time.

Is he on a decent ongoing pain relief dose of Metacam? Some vets can underdose, and you can also give him two (and occasionally three) doses a day if this suits his and your lifestyle better. Of course, always discuss this with the vet.

How is his weight as an older bun? (Though I don't think of 7 are particularly old :)) Often they lose weight, but if you can keep an eye on that (either getting him weighed at the vets regularly, or investing in some baby scales yourself) then it's a rough guide as to how he's feeling, and also the weight he'll be managing on his legs.

It's possible he could have hurt himself doing a binky but I wouldn't assume that. When you gave the course of Panacur, was it 28 days and was his partner also treated?

You could think of a supplement such as glucosamine. It can come together with chondroitin for joint support, but that may already be in the Oxbow that you mention?

Warmth I find essential. I'm sure you are addressing this, but I use a 24/7 electrically heated pad for my elders and sickies and it really makes a difference.

Welcome to the Forum, and good luck with Fred :D He's a lucky bunny to be indoors and pampered :love:

Hi MightyMax thank you for your fab reply.

He just has one dose of metacam a day , 7kg on the dog syringe which I believe to be .6ml. I know they metabolise it really quickly so ill see how he goes and if he keeps having 'dips' discuss a higher/multiple doses.

He is a small dwarf lop or dwarf/mini cross. He usually weighs 2.2-2.3kg but I think he has gone down to just over 2-2.1kg since February. However I did the last weighing on rubbish kitchen scales so I think I will definitely invest in some good baby scales so I can monitor this accurately.

Yeah there's glucosamine in the oxbow supplement, along with turmeric & ginger. I understand it may be a month or so before there is any benefit so I'll have to wait a little longer in that respect! Yes I suppose 7 isnt ancient by any respects, especially as he's quite a small chap. In his previous home he didn't get much space/exercise unfortunately so i dont think that has helped his cause :(

I like the sound of the heat mat! Would you recommend any in particular? At the mo they have vet bed in their crate (door always open, just a base) and a couple of memory foam mats just outside the crate to snuggle on.

Yes he had 28 days of panacur, as did his wifebun.

Thank you again for your in depth answer :) x

Awww bless him, what a loved little man he sounds :love: It might be worth exploring acupuncture. My cats have it for arthritis and it makes a whole world of difference. I also know of someone who used to be a member on here whose old bun has been having it and he has gone from shuffling back to hopping after just a couple of sessions. There aren't all that many vets who do it, and probably even fewer who will do it on bunnies, but I consider myself to be a converted cynic and would definitely suggest it if you can find somewhere who will do it. Hope your little one has a good long comfortable time left yet :)

Hi Santa, yeah to be honest a couple of people have mentioned acupuncture. Id definitely be open to giving it a go, I've heard nothing but good things. Hope its offered somewhere fairly local to me.

Yes he is doted on lol. I've only had him 9 months and he wasn't looked after that great previously, so I just want to give him the very best however long he has and to be mega pampered :) x

One word of caution, I never put a bunny who cannot move for themselves on any heating pad, not even the ones that contain dry rice that you heat in the microwave.
I put the heat pad under another pad so the bunny will not chew it.
I do agree some additional heat is helpful for pain/illness.

The other posts are correct, seven is not extremely old; but arthritis can strike at any age.

Medicam helped my bunny.

Hi MightyMax thank you for your fab reply.

He just has one dose of metacam a day , 7kg on the dog syringe which I believe to be .6ml. I know they metabolise it really quickly so ill see how he goes and if he keeps having 'dips' discuss a higher/multiple doses.

He is a small dwarf lop or dwarf/mini cross. He usually weighs 2.2-2.3kg but I think he has gone down to just over 2-2.1kg since February. However I did the last weighing on rubbish kitchen scales so I think I will definitely invest in some good baby scales so I can monitor this accurately.

Yeah there's glucosamine in the oxbow supplement, along with turmeric & ginger. I understand it may be a month or so before there is any benefit so I'll have to wait a little longer in that respect! Yes I suppose 7 isnt ancient by any respects, especially as he's quite a small chap. In his previous home he didn't get much space/exercise unfortunately so i dont think that has helped his cause :(

I like the sound of the heat mat! Would you recommend any in particular? At the mo they have vet bed in their crate (door always open, just a base) and a couple of memory foam mats just outside the crate to snuggle on.

Yes he had 28 days of panacur, as did his wifebun.

Thank you again for your in depth answer :) x

You are very welcome!

The heat pad I use is one I got from Pets at Home. It's a very gentle heat, and when you put your hand on it, you can hardly feel it working, but it gently brings up the body temperature .

It's not something you need to worry about, putting an animal who can't move on it. It's actually designed for that purpose, and is used for recovery in vet surgeries. And animal can stay on it 24/7 and never ever overheat.

I have the box in a cupboard, so I shall look for the brand if you like, and PM you the details. It brings the rabbit's body temperature up to normal and absolutely no more than that, so an animal cannot possibly overheat!

Memory foam for your rabbits sounds totally luxurious :love:

Lovely, I'll look into that thanks. Yes memory foam luxury lol. I picked up a memory foam pet mat from B&M for £12.99 and they love it! Retains body heat apparently. I went in for another and spotted a bargain - memory foam bath mats! Slightly smaller but otherwise the same thing. Washable, soft, different colours, and only £5.99!

Lovely, I'll look into that thanks. Yes memory foam luxury lol. I picked up a memory foam pet mat from B&M for £12.99 and they love it! Retains body heat apparently. I went in for another and spotted a bargain - memory foam bath mats! Slightly smaller but otherwise the same thing. Washable, soft, different colours, and only £5.99!

Feel free to PM if I can help further :wave:

I always wish we had a B&M store nearby. People seem to find such bargains :D

Hi:wave:

Such lucky bunnies to have such loving care:love:

My bunny is 11/12 years and arthritic - he is on 7/8 drops of metacam twice a day which can be increased to up to 12 drops twice a day in consultation with his vet.

Just in our case the acupuncture didn't really work - but I do give him gentle massages on occasion both by hand and also using a hand held very gentle flat faced massager which can be used on gentle heat or without.

I do encourage My bunny to move about by popping some very low level hay trays around to try and help his joints.

I think at seven years as long as your vet is pretty savy in his diagnosis of arthritis then there is much that can be done to help your bunny be comfortable and enjoy life so hope this helps.

Firstly, I have had to re-register as despite trying everything including contacting admin, I was unable to log-in having forgotten my password etc (must try get my old account back up and running as have posting history which I would like to keep).

Rosie was my arthritic bunny who I recently had to say goodbye to at 14 years :( So a bunny of 7/8 seems a youngster to me! Rosie had an abcess on her paw which I was really concerned about - though never bothered her, but sadly it was her mobility which failed her in the end.

One of my great discoveries was a 'Garland Potting Tidy Tray', large size, which proved to totally fit the bill as a low sided litter tray. I hadn't realised how hard she had struggled with the high sided tray until I saw her easily step into this tray ... it was a revelation :) I hadn't seen an actual litter tray which was so suited to her needs.

Metacam daily, 1.1 towards the end (Rosie weighed about 1.85 kg). In honesty, I was told by my vet that, at 1.4 at one stage, it was rather a high dose - but at her age, I just wanted her to be as comfortable as possible and she never suffered any ill-effect over the several months we used it.

Also, just in case you are not aware, Metacam, with a vets prescription, is a lot cheaper, long term, to buy online.

Finally, regarding heat mats, I bought, although Rosie didn't have long to really benefit from it, a 'self heating mat' from Dobbies. It is fleecy (outer layer washable) with a reflective layer to reflect own body warmth. Cosy, comfortable and safe :)

Glad to hear it, and agree 100% about the Garland (or Stewart) low sided potting tray.
Which of course is really a rabbit litter tray :D

Hello MightyMax :)

You're right, it's meant to a litter tray, only the manufacturer hasn't realised!!!! Only wished I had spotted it earlier for my Rosie Rabbit :love: Life would have been a little easier for that bit longer :love::love:

Hi Cara, thank you for your reply and suggestions. I'm so sorry to hear about Rosie :( what a wonderful age she lived to and obviously had the best doting mum :) Yes Fred is a whipper snapper in comparison, but I really really hope he lives to a good age and we can manage this well. I know every bunny is different but I feel more positive about it all now and that there are lots of different options to think about.

The gardening tray idea sounds fab!!! I've been looking for an alternative recently, and have been looking at small plastic puppy beds but there is still a decent 'lip' to hop over so I was unsure. Will definitely be looking into that thank you.

Its interesting to hear about the metacam doses, he seems to be on a fairly low dose at the minute and hopefully that will be effective for a long time, but it looks like there is scope to go up if need be at least.

Thank you again for your suggestions x

Back