• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arguments for indoor buns

I think you should leave them where they are. You say they are happy outside, your folks are happy they are outside...2 out of 3 isn't bad, and you do have your dog indoors.:lol:

I think they'd be equally happy indoors, I'd only move them in if my mum and stepdad were happy with it and I just feel I bond better with indoor animals (I'd have them all back indoors if I could)
They do come indoors but it's not the same as them living indoors - I loved waking up with Rose snuggled up on my feet when she first arrived

I honestly don't think it smells having Audrey indoors, others may disagree :lol: The hay and destruction annoys me though, but luckily I'm not massively house proud :lol: .

Erm...persuading your parents...I guess you'll just have to promise to keep on top of the mess and move them back outside if it doesn't work out. Or offer them something in return- cooking dinner/doing food shopping or some other chores?

About the noise on the laminate- you'll probably need to put rugs/carpet tiles down as in my spare room I've taken the carpet up and whilst Audrey was in there over the last few days the banging and scurring was really annoying when you were sat in the room beneath.

And here's a couple of Rose snaps!
rose1.jpg

rose2.jpg

rose3.jpg

What a sweetie!

Im still living at home with my mum and luckily she is fine with having the buns in the house, but we generally dont get on that well so im looking for somewhere to live :lol: If my mum wasnt happy about having the buns inside I wouldnt bring them in as its her house :lol:

And about the laminate flooring, they make a whole load of noise ;)

Mandy I dont think our house smells either with having Beau in, and even my mum was like oh I thought the tray would smell but I just keep it clean and nobody has ever noticed a smell from the bunnies

Rose is lovely. :) Suggest a trial run for a couple of weeks and if they cause too much trouble to the 'rents then say they can go back out side.

Invest in some subtle smelling oust-style air fresheners for the hallway outside your room, vacuum many times a day. Erm, get some carpet samples to put on the lino so their claws don't make clippy sounds so much. etc.

Hopefully after the couple of weeks they'll be used to them being in again.

Hay everywhere - unfortunately nowt can do about that one. It annoys me too but you just have to keep sweeping it up. As soon as you see some pick it up then it won't annoy your mum so much. Probably annoys her more if she feels she has to tidy up after your buns.

Smell - clean litter tray out every day with something like "Keep it Clean" product as this works as a deodoriser as well. Use Megazorb as litter this is much more absorbant. But store the stuff somewhere in your shed as it can honk in the bag!!:lol:

You can use Oust air spray but please use it very sparingly as these types of products are bad for bunny respitory/breathing problems.

Laminate flooring - don't! its bad for buns as they slip and slide all over it - imaging an elephant ice skating....you get the idea!!;) :lol: :lol: It is also extremely noisy.

The best thing is to go by what makes the bunnies happy. Keep your parents sweet if you want to stay living there and toe the line.

Moving out really will be the best solution as you will free to do exactly as you wish. Until then, Good Luck x:D

For the smell I usually give my buns dill some hours before visitors, that way their pee smells quite a bit like aniseed.

An argument you could try on your parents about the smell is that the smell would be much worse if they had a son instead of a daughter;) :lol: :lol:

A girl and 2 little buns could never come anywhere near that!!

I can honestly say that Evo rarely smells at all. We have noticed the smell from his tray maybe once or twice. His litter tray is done once a day, and that seems to be enough. I can smell his hay and even his food sometimes, but that is not unpleasant. He lives in the computer room where either o/h or I am a lot of the time, so I think we would notice if the smell wa bad. As for the mess, it's no trouble to get the vacuum cleaner out every day, with his new cage the mess tends to come more from me putting the hay in, rather than him dragging it back out.

All this talk of bunny smell has got me worried that I'm not normal. I actually like the smell of fresh bunny poop :oops: :oops:

I don't think you can contain hay, its all over the place at mine and he's not strictly a house bun, he has a hutch and pen outside on the roof terrace in warmer weather but gets moved in doors in bad weather and has free run of most of the apartment when I'm home. I think my mum would be the same, she always comments on the hay when she comes round, I don't care, it sweeps up easily enough but if it was her home I'd understand. Have you got a shed you can keep them in or maybe have one built so you can go and spend time with them rather than bring them indoors. I don't understand the smell part so long as the litterbox is changed regularly buns don't smell-do they?
I'd prefer Charlie to live indoors permanently but he's a lot happier when he has access to the roof terrace. Thats so cute that you can have Rosie snuggled up with you, unfortunately Charlie can't be trusted to do anything like that because he chews everything.

Last edited:
indoor bunnies?

Mopsy lives outside in her double storey hutch soon to be shed. She also goes out in the run on nice days however she comes in most nights to my bedroom where her fav place is under my chair x ( note to self get pics_) I wouldn't be allowed her inside all the time because I have Rosie in my bedroom aswell but its a good compromise =] x

Bobbin doesn't smell, I empty his litter box every 1 -2 days depending on the amount of poo! I actually quite like the bunny smell when I open the door after a day at work, smells sort of natural and nice. It certainly doesn't smell "bad" :D But I guess everyone likes and dislikes different smells

I am 22 live in my rents house and my mum is ott cleaness but she does not think Buster really smells. I have rules though.....................he is cleaned daily and my room is hoovered and carpet has to be covered in tarpulin in my room in case he pee's. He isn't allowed just to free roam but we have cats and dogs so that's a safety issue. Hay is messy but I buy small bags and put it in the cage to fill trays etc I don't find Buster throws hay out either.;) In fact I have cleaned Buster out today even though I had the brain bleed a few days ago. My parents would do it but he is mine responsibilty and I think it builds your bond with the bunnies. If Buster was outside then he would really be ignored right now as I am not allowed out of my room.

Good news I think - Ben's been in here since last Monday and despite knowing he's in here I've not been told to get him out, so I'm taking that as permission to have him indoors :lol: And that's even with his stinky buck-wee (which should become a bit less smelly now he's neutered) and ripping apart cardboard boxes at 6am :roll: :lol: I move bedrooms in a month so that'll be a good opportunity to introduce him to Rose somewhere neutral too

Alfred lives in the house with me, I clean his litter tray out twice a day, and it really doesn't smell at all.

I use the base of a 3ft indoor cage as his litter tray, he gets his hay in there too, and because it's about 6" in height, it does tend to keep most of the hay inside.

Although he does love to have the odd digging frenzy which means large quantities of megazorb get flung into the air, and some of it does end up outside the tray. I've got one of those rechargeable hand held vacs near his pen, and it comes in very handy!

Ax

Back