• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are rabbits good children's pets?

I think if a child is taught from the outset to respect an animal [*any* animal] and is taught how to behave around it and taught to understand its needs then I think a pet is beneficial for sure.. as long as the parents either share in the care [and obviously take it to the vets etc] or keep a close eye if the child shows that they are willing and able to fulfil the animal's needs.

I think if the adult takes responsibility for the rabbit then a child over 8 years old can enjoy having a rabbit as a pet. Sometimes younger children are really good with animals so i'm only saying 8 yrs as a rough guide.
My niece is only 3 years old and i wouldn't allow her to come into contact with my rabbits as she doesn't understand that she needs to be gentle with them and not poke them in the eye yet!

I had rabbits as a youngster and i found them frightening. Probably because we had an unspeyed female who was kept in a little hutch all the time and lunged at anyone who went near her. I don't think that early experience had any influence on the way i look after my pets today.

I had a syrian hamster when i was about 10 and i looked after it and cleaned its cage out regularly. I think an animal that size is enough for most kids but there is always the exception.

We had our first rabbit (when I say "we" and "our" I mean my famils... father, mother, sister and me!) when I was about 5! My grandad built a really good hutch and run for her to live in (a dutch girl called Mopsey). Obviously at the age of 5 I was too young for the responsibility of looking after a rabbit, ultimatly that responsibility was down to my parents! We as children were not allowed to pick the rabbit up, and were only allowed to stroke it - and we did as we were told!

No child (and by that I mean under 18s, perhaps under 16s) can be fully responsible for a pet as for one thing it takes money, which they aren't old enough to earn!

We've had various rabbits / guinea pigs through the years (this sounds bad but I'm quite old now so not unreasistic!) and for each one I've taken more of a responsibility on! The one that was truely my responsibility was Dilly I got when I was in my second year of uni. It had been a while since I'd had a rabbit!

I'm living at home again now and the roles are reversed, my mum now gives the cuddles and treats... I have to do all hard work and money spending! They will still help though if I am unwell or something :D

Hannah

i do think rabbits can make good pets for children because it can help teach them responcability but you do get irrisponsable parents who seem to think that the rabbit is just their childrens so they have no part in the cleaning, feeding vet bills etc. if i ever have kids i would let them have a rabbit if they wanted but i would also look after it id make sure that they helped me with the cleaning and feeding or the rabbit and wouldnt just rehoem teh rabbit becaue my children have gotten bored of it.

i had a rabbit called thumper when i was 9 my mum and dad had no part in its up keep apart from buying the food and woodshavings i got bored of it and it sat in the shed in its cage 24/7 infact thinking back it was probably lucky to be fed 4 times a week, my mum had no interest she saw the rabbit as mine and expected me to care for it and i just ended up neglecting it this is something i dont agree with if the parents arent going to except part resposability for the rabbit then no a rabbit will not be good for a child.

From a rescue aspect I would say that a good 75% of rabbits that come into rescue are that the child as got fed up and the adults don't want to look after them. I don't rehome rabbits to people with very young children but will chat with an older child about how long they have wanted a rabbit for and basically tell them how when it is raining and cols and snowing that the rabbit still needs the attention.It is good asking a child questions as they tell it how it is and not a parent basically telling you what you want to hear (which with experience most rescues will sus them out anyway).

I remember one christmas a couple of years ago I got an email of a lady who wanted to rabbits for her grandchildren that were 3 & 5 yrs but wanted two that didn't bite and scratch:roll: so I told her Asda did nice fluffy ones:lol:

Back