• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Applied to be a charity today-- awaiting application response..

If you find a way to make enough money to have a salary, let me know, we are paying out money hand over fist.:lol:

Well i'm hoping to help other rescues- this is one of my objectives so hopefully if i do find a way- i'll be helping other rescues like yourself in the process. I'm extremely good at sales and marketing, so i hope that i'll be able to use these skill in this area to help out rescues throughout the UK xxxxx

We had to have 3 trustees and we have 5 committee members, all 3 trustees are committee member, plus 2 others.
We are in Scotland though, so things may be different here, we have to keep accounts from now on and submit them in a year.

Didn't you have to put that information on the application form?

I only put myself down, but now i'm under the impression i may need more than one trustee. I may get the app rejected. I've just applied. Could all go pearshaped yet :) xxxxx

Are you a registered charity halfpenny? :wave:

Yes, we recieved charity status in June, so we are still sorting lots of things out, getting tax registered so we can get gift aid etc.
We are in Scotland though, so I'm not sure how things will differ in England.

I don't think you can be a director and a trustee? I think these things are deliberately separated to provide safeguards between the overall direction and financing (trustee) and the day-to-day running (director).

I may be wrong though, but I'd say it needs further researching as I'm not sure you will be able to do it in the way you are hoping.

No probs- will let you know how the application comes back- i submitted it today, so will give you thumbs up or thumbs down in the next few days i imagine xxxxx

We had to have 3 trustees and we have 5 committee members, all 3 trustees are committee member, plus 2 others.
We are in Scotland though, so things may be different here, we have to keep accounts from now on and submit them in a year.

I'm in England, not sure if it's different- i know alot of laws are xxxx

Well i'm hoping to help other rescues- this is one of my objectives so hopefully if i do find a way- i'll be helping other rescues like yourself in the process. I'm extremely good at sales and marketing, so i hope that i'll be able to use these skill in this area to help out rescues throughout the UK xxxxx

I'm not sure a fund raising organisation can register as a charity? I might be wrong because I'm not sure where I heard/read that, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

http://charitycommission.custhelp.c...std_adp.php?p_faqid=1139&p_created=1275661306

Looks like you're going to have an awful lot more reading to do to get up to speed on everything you need to understand!
Question

What is the minimum number of company directors (trustees) for a charitable company?

Answer

A charitable company needs to have at least one director who is a natural person and by this we mean a human being rather than a company that in some cases can be regarded as a person. The minimum requirements for directors is set out in the Companies Act 2006 and section 154 states that a private company must have at least one director and section 155 requires that the company to have at least one director who is a natural person.

Our model articles of association state that the number of directors required shall be not less than three to facilitate the effective management and administration of the charitable company.

Right so does this mean- i can have myself and two of my other companies as trustees? xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
The Charity Commission is England/Wales, in Scotland they use OSCR which is slightly different! I work for the Red Cross (obviously a completely different league of charity) and we have to have two separate registration numbers, one for England/Wales and another for Scotland. I believe a third Northern Ireland one was in the works...so yes it does differ between borders.

And I'm pretty sure it will be rejected as there is no charity there yet, they will want to see proper accounts, a proper staff/trustee structure and the proposed charity in action. And a pretty thorough knowledge of how a charity works! All the VAT/tax stuff makes my mind boggle. Otherwise they could be giving charity status to all sorts of scam operations!

We applied to OSCR and the basically have a set of criteria you must fit- we were animal welfare.
They have a constitution form on-line, that you can just adapt and send of ( we didn't do that, which is why it took us 6 months to get registered) and they will reply with advice on anything that needs adapting. Our biggest worry initially was that the site has to be either leased or bought by the charity- we have leased our land for a pound. It is also very worrying to have other people ( the committee) having a say in what you do, they can stop you from doing anything- so make sure you chose people you trust and who will support you fully.
You must also be very careful to stick to the constitution and submit accounts.
There is no check on what you do, it seems craxy really, but I guess they think most people will be genuine about applying as it is quite a faff to get set up.

I'm not sure a fund raising organisation can register as a charity? I might be wrong because I'm not sure where I heard/read that, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

You can register as a charity if you are fundraising - that is not the sole charities objective though :) xxx

The Charity Commission is England/Wales, in Scotland they use OSCR which is slightly different! I work for the Red Cross (obviously a completely different league of charity) and we have to have two separate registration numbers, one for England/Wales and another for Scotland. I believe a third Northern Ireland one was in the works...so yes it does differ between borders.

And I'm pretty sure it will be rejected as there is no charity there yet, they will want to see proper accounts, a proper staff/trustee structure and the proposed charity in action. And a pretty thorough knowledge of how a charity works! All the VAT/tax stuff makes my mind boggle. Otherwise they could be giving charity status to all sorts of scam operations!

Thanks for the information- will let you know how it comes back and keep trying :) xxxx

Question

What is the minimum number of company directors (trustees) for a charitable company?

Answer

A charitable company needs to have at least one director who is a natural person and by this we mean a human being rather than a company that in some cases can be regarded as a person. The minimum requirements for directors is set out in the Companies Act 2006 and section 154 states that a private company must have at least one director and section 155 requires that the company to have at least one director who is a natural person.

Our model articles of association state that the number of directors required shall be not less than three to facilitate the effective management and administration of the charitable company.

Right so does this mean- i can have myself and two of my other companies as trustees? xxxxxxxxx

I don't think so, it's talking about individual people not companies...I think it's far more complex than that and honestly think you may need to go riiiiight back to the drawing board and think about exactly what you intend to do, how, who you will involve etc before going in any deeper. The above you have quoted is about charitable companies, not registered charities, whereas what you said at the start of this thread was that you have registered as a charity (for which that link says you need 3 trustees). If it's not something you can take time out to research fully and get your head around, I'd suggest you take professional advice on exactly what you set up and how.

We applied to OSCR and the basically have a set of criteria you must fit- we were animal welfare.
They have a constitution form on-line, that you can just adapt and send of ( we didn't do that, which is why it took us 6 months to get registered) and they will reply with advice on anything that needs adapting. Our biggest worry initially was that the site has to be either leased or bought by the charity- we have leased our land for a pound. It is also very worrying to have other people ( the committee) having a say in what you do, they can stop you from doing anything- so make sure you chose people you trust and who will support you fully.
You must also be very careful to stick to the constitution and submit accounts.
There is no check on what you do, it seems craxy really, but I guess they think most people will be genuine about applying as it is quite a faff to get set up.

Definately going to take everything slowly and get the accounting side of things done properly. Yes i know about the land thing -that is quite worrying really. As it is a incorporated charitable company- i don't know if that makes a difference, rather than it being un-incorporated? xxxxx

You can register as a charity if you are fundraising - that is not the sole charities objective though :) xxx

Sorry, I didn't word that very well. What I meant was that I don't think you can start a charity in order to raise funds to give to other charities/organisations.

We are not a company of any sort, although I think a few charities are- not sure what the advantage to that is though, but there must be some kind of perk to it.

Back