• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worst possible news. Metastatic cancer.

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Just in pieces right now. I've posted a few times in the last few weeks about our precious Lunar who we thought had a lower respiratory tract infection. Today we finally risked an x-ray as treatment wasn't working.
It seems she has a tumour which the vet thinks is metastatic. Her lungs are being pushed back by something and there are spots of calcification. We're not sure what type of tumour it is, though vet thinks its more likely to be heart than thymoma.
Just utterly devastated. We'd had a call last week from a different vet to say that 4 different bacteria had been found and we thought well ok at least it can be treated. But on speaking to the rabbit specilist vet it turns out those bacteria are all normal in a rabbit.
She's been able to come home on palliative care as she's still well in herself, happy, eating, even fairly active. We're going to try steroids along with continuing the salbutamol. But it's a matter of time and we don't even know how much. I don't know if it's likely to be days or weeks. I know I have to react as soon as there's a sign of deterioration in her.
I just can't believe it. She doesn't deserve this. She's such a happy, beautiful and otherwise healthy girl. We're already losing Jazzie at any time. Her kidneys are shutting down from EC and she's suddenly lost weight again (had bloods done today, awaiting results and on panacur in the meantime)
Last year we lost 3 all to different causes. Now we're losing 2 more, possibly in the next few days or weeks.
Why is life so incredibly unfair.

I'm so very sorry that the news wasn't better. I'm glad that Lunar appears well in herself, and really hope that she stays that way for as long as possible. Sending her lots of vibes, and a hug for you xx

I'm so sorry, I hope they both manage for a bit longer to spend some precious time with you, so very heart breaking. I'm thinking of you :(

I'm so sorry to hear of Lunars diagnosis:( I hope she remain happy & well enough on palliative care for as long as possible. Vibes for Jazzie too xx

I’m so sorry you’ve had such dreadful news about your Luna. Sending lots of vibes for her and for Jazzie. Xxx

I am truly saddened to read the news about Lunar :cry: Having experienced multiple losses very close together I can empathise with the devastation you are feeling. I would ask the Vet if a covering abx should be added to her palliative care as she will be on a corticosteroid and has already had numerous RTIs. Corticosteroids suppress the immune system and it might allow the currently dormant bacteria to multiply and cause active disease. I hope that Lunar can remain comfortable for as long as possible

Last edited:
Sending you Lunar and Jazzy lots of positive vibes that they will remain happy a long time.
It is so unfair that you suffered so many loses last year and now have to deal with this. Hugs.

Thank you all. Sorry for the post, I was in a bit of despair last night. We'd hoped that it was something that could be cured. As awful as a bacterial infection would have been, I wish it had been. At least there was hope of a cure or at least management.

I am truly saddened to read the news about Lunar :cry: Having experienced multiple losses very close together I can empathise with the devastation you are feeling. I would ask the Vet if a covering abx should be added to her palliative care as she will be on a corticosteroid and has already had numerous RTIs. Corticosteroids suppress the immune system and it might allow the currently dormant bacteria to multiply and cause active disease. I hope that Lunar can remain comfortable for as long as possible

Yes the vet wants me to keep her on engemycin for now along with the steroids until we see how she goes.
She's a little quieter today and being more picky about her food but I suspect it's more the stress of yesterday than anything. Plus she's had to come off metacam for the day so she can start the steroids tonight. Her breathing isn't too bad compared to how it has been.
I'm trying to work out in my own head at what point we make the decision. It's a difficut balance to get right. At the moment she's relatively active (save for being slightly quiet today) and seems generally happy, almost normal. She's grooming and even running around. She's absolutely loving cuddles (on the floor, not being picked up) and all of the fuss. I want to make her happy in the time she has and not rob her of that time. Equally though I don't want to go too far the other way and have her suffer. Normally I know you can see/feel when the time is right but this is the first time I've had a rabbit with cancer and in this situation. The vet has given me guidance but I'm really worried about getting it wrong. If only you could just ask them what they want :cry:

A couple of pictures I took the other day after her injection:
LbJ8x4llY1ZR.png

BA1SbLlmVfQy.png

Last edited:
She looks very healthy and happy. You both deserve to enjoy as much time together as possible. Sending big hugs.

Thank you all. Sorry for the post, I was in a bit of despair last night. We'd hoped that it was something that could be cured. As awful as a bacterial infection would have been, I wish it had been. At least there was hope of a cure or at least management.

Yes the vet wants me to keep her on engemycin for now along with the steroids until we see how she goes.
She's a little quieter today and being more picky about her food but I suspect it's more the stress of yesterday than anything. Plus she's had to come off metacam for the day so she can start the steroids tonight. Her breathing isn't too bad compared to how it has been.
I'm trying to work out in my own head at what point we make the decision. It's a difficut balance to get right. At the moment she's relatively active (save for being slightly quiet today) and seems generally happy, almost normal. She's grooming and even running around. She's absolutely loving cuddles (on the floor, not being picked up) and all of the fuss. I want to make her happy in the time she has and not rob her of that time. Equally though I don't want to go too far the other way and have her suffer. Normally I know you can see/feel when the time is right but this is the first time I've had a rabbit with cancer and in this situation. The vet has given me guidance but I'm really worried about getting it wrong. If only you could just ask them what they want :cry:

A couple of pictures I took the other day after her injection:
LbJ8x4llY1ZR.png

BA1SbLlmVfQy.png

I can only give you an account of my experiences of caring for Rabbits with terminal cancer. I have found that ever case is unique as far as how long one continues on the palliative care path. I believe there has to be more to life for the Rabbit than just eating a bit and sleeping. I feel it’s important they still have some interest in their surroundings, interact with their companion (Rabbit or human) and are mobile enough not to end up lying in their own wee and poo constantly. A bit of a mucky bum and legs is one thing, bald skin and scalding is an entirely different matter in terminal illness.

Some Rabbits can cope with a lot of daily hands on care and help with keeping themselves clean. Others find it to be incredibly stressful. For a very stressy Rabbit who ends up needing a lot of handling several times every day I would make the final decision sooner than I would for a very chilled out Rabbit with the exact same disease and prognosis.

I have also found that the grimace scale is useful to refer to

https://www.nc3rs.org.uk/sites/default/files/2022-01/NC3Rs Rabbit Grimace Scale Poster (EN).pdf

As care givers we know our individual Rabbits better than anyone. We can judge when the time comes that we have to say goodbye. Although it is a huge bonus to have a Vet whom we trust and whom we know will always give us advice based on what is best for the individual Rabbit.

I always try to have PTSs done at home. Although I realise this might not always be an option. IME it is by far the most peaceful and dignified end. Perhaps you could ask your Vet if they are able to accommodate this service before you are in the position of needing it.

Finally, for the Rabbit it is ‘better’ to go a day too soon than a day too late. For us, whenever we make the call we are always likely to endlessly question our decision for weeks after the Rabbit has gone. But so far I have never ended up permanently thinking that I should not have had the Rabbit PTS when I did. Of course I wish that the Rabbit was still with me, but I come to fully accept that it would not have been what was best for the Rabbit

Sending you supportive hugs. Caring for a terminally ill Rabbit is emotionally exhausting, but it’s a privilege too.

Last edited:
I can only give you an account of my experiences of caring for Rabbits with terminal cancer. I have found that ever case is unique as far as how long one continues on the palliative care path. I believe there has to be more to life for the Rabbit than just eating a bit and sleeping. I feel it’s important they still have some interest in their surroundings, interact with their companion (Rabbit or human) and are mobile enough not to end up lying in their own wee and poo constantly. A bit of a mucky bum and legs is one thing, bald skin and scalding is an entirely different matter in terminal illness.

Some Rabbits can cope with a lot of daily hands on care and help with keeping themselves clean. Others find it to be incredibly stressful. For a very stressy Rabbit who ends up needing a lot of handling several times every day I would make the final decision sooner than I would for a very chilled out Rabbit with the exact same disease and prognosis.

I have also found that the grimace scale is useful to refer to

https://www.nc3rs.org.uk/sites/default/files/2022-01/NC3Rs Rabbit Grimace Scale Poster (EN).pdf

As care givers we know our individual Rabbits better than anyone. We can judge when the time comes that we have to say goodbye. Although it is a huge bonus to have a Vet whom we trust and whom we know will always give us advice based on what is best for the individual Rabbit.

I always try to have PTSs done at home. Although I realise this might not always be an option. IME it is by far the most peaceful and dignified end. Perhaps you could ask your Vet if they are able to accommodate this service before you are in the position of needing it.

Finally, for the Rabbit it is ‘better’ to go a day too soon than a day too late. For us, whenever we make the call we are always likely to endlessly question our decision for weeks after the Rabbit has gone. But so far I have never ended up permanently thinking that I should not have had the Rabbit PTS when I did. Of course I wish that the Rabbit was still with me, but I come to fully accept that it would not have been what was best for the Rabbit

Sending you supportive hugs. Caring for a terminally ill Rabbit is emotionally exhausting, but it’s a privilege too.

Thank you Jane. I am trying to keep all of that in mind and the fact that it can change very quickly. For the moment she is clearly very happy but I know that can change at a moments notice. I remember how quickly Snowflake went downhill, though that was kidney failure in her case.
I had also been wondering about having it done at home. It's something I'm going to look into. There is a mobile vet nearby who, as I understand it, almost exclusively do home visits. I've never used them but they have a good reputation. Our vet said there was no need to bring her back there when it was time (it's a long distance), just use the nearest vet and save her the stress. So I'll look into those options.
Still can't believe I'm even talking about this. I genunely believed her to be the healthiest out of all our rabbits. She should still have had years left.
Fortunately she's a very easy rabbit to handle, I could absolutely do things for her like keeping her clean etc but I don't want to let her get down that far, if there's no hope of recovery from that then I don't think that would be fair. I'd absolutely do it for a rabbit who had a chance of recovery, but I don't think it would be fair to let her go that far in this case. I suppose we'll just have to take it a day at a time and judge it on her.
Fortunately she has brightened massively today. Wheter it was the stress of a lengthy day at the vet or whether the steroids are already providing some help I'm not sure, but she's very bright and happy today. Her usual inquisitive self and eating well. Her breathing is actually pretty good compared to how it's been in the past. She's grooming well and surprisingly bouncy. She's a girl that adores cuddles so she's been getting plenty. She even started to lick my brothers hand whilst sitting on the bed with him yesterday, something she's never done. She looks genuinely content at the moment.
I suppose it's just a matter of watching for a change and reacting to it. I just can't imagine life without this beautiful girl. She looks so incredibly healthy, if I hadn't seen the x-ray myself and heard it from a vet I trust implicitly I wouldn't even believe it.

I'm sorry it's not good news for Lunar,sending vibes that she can remain well in herself for some time to come and hugs to you too.x

Back