• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple Seeds

Ross

Warren Scout
Hiya!!!

I know apple seeds are dangerous for a bunny, but I dropped one or two and not sure if I’ve picked them all up…. How dangerous are they please? My OCD is going crazy on this :(

Thank you!

I agree, a bunny would need to eat very many apple seeds for them to have any ill effect. I doubt very much that a bunny would eat apple seeds either.

Stop worrying :)

Not dangerous at all. I had this conversation with FHB, they'd have to eat loads of apples to get cyanide poisoning from the pips

Years ago I had no idea about apples seeds and used to feed my bunnies whole apples, they used to eat the lot and they were never sick.

Thank you so much!! My OCD is terrible today and I was panicking... you helped so much, thank you!!! :)

At some point I tried to calculate how much seeds would be necessery to actually poison a rabbit, it would be more than it's body weight at once, of course the cyanids would be the lesser problem then compared to the exploded rabbit.
Those compounds are quite widespread in botany, and pretty much every herbivore or omnivore can cope with quite an amount without any issue. Rabbits, being apex predators in that regard, can cope with lots of different stuff, either by avoiding it (if they had the chance to learn to follow their instincts) or by just stomaching it.

Back