• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone insulated a shed before?

Hmm thanks both, I'm not too sure what to do now, I was hoping to insulate it all and put lino down and then trap corners/edges of that under the wall coverings (ply wood or other options) and then paint it to make it nice, it's a summer house that the rabbits will use for now so I didn't want to put ply then mesh ideally plus mesh has always been sharp ime when I've worked with it and Evelyn really enjoys feeding the buns and pigs their veg so Idk how I feel about putting mesh everywhere either. I really wanted to make it feel like a room! Needs to be safe though for the buns!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

In that case, I'd probably go with something like my first photo. You can use a safe wood for the framing & that's going to be the only section they're going to get their teeth into. Flat surfaces should be fine.... unless they're total demons. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

In that case, I'd probably go with something like my first photo. You can use a safe wood for the framing & that's going to be the only section they're going to get their teeth into. Flat surfaces should be fine.... unless they're total demons. [emoji1787]

You reckon I can use the mdf panel stuff? And maybe use pine for edging bits, I think pine is safe iirc.

Willoughby is my only problem tbh, you should've seen the inside of the hutch [emoji51] I give him wooden balls to chew and he just chews them to pieces [emoji51][emoji51] he chews bars, plastic, skirting boards, any wood.. It's slightly crazy [emoji38] the other 3 are okay tho, Atticus and Clementine are more interested in killing themselves by trying to eat plastic bags [emoji19]

I wouldn't use MDF in a shed. It's useless if it gets damp as it will just disintegrate - it's just an upgrade from cardboard in that respect. Ply is much better and will give a nice smooth finish which can be painted however you like.

I wouldn't use MDF in a shed. It's useless if it gets damp as it will just disintegrate - it's just an upgrade from cardboard in that respect. Ply is much better and will give a nice smooth finish which can be painted however you like.
That's a good point! [emoji38]

I’ve used polystyrene insulation in the old bunny shed, with plywood in front of it. It was painted with rabbit safe paint. Thankfully they never chewed it, as it was completely flat surfaces. In our summerhouse we used kingspan, behind tongue and groove panelling. The goat shed is kingspan behind plywood. Kingspan is easier to cut and use than polystyrene ime. The polystyrene balls go everywhere!

I know what you mean about the polystyrene balls! It wasn't too bad mostly but definitely don't attempt it on a windy day, lol.

Our biggest struggle was trying to cut the boards in bright sunshine. The sun was reflecting off the boards & blinding us both.

I’ve used polystyrene insulation in the old bunny shed, with plywood in front of it. It was painted with rabbit safe paint. Thankfully they never chewed it, as it was completely flat surfaces. In our summerhouse we used kingspan, behind tongue and groove panelling. The goat shed is kingspan behind plywood. Kingspan is easier to cut and use than polystyrene ime. The polystyrene balls go everywhere!
Oo I'll have a look thank you!

Back