• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any special care after a rabbits mate has passed away?

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Hi As I have mentioned on an earlier post, My beloved Louie passed away, Leaving his devoted mate Twinkle behind. :cry:

I just wanted to know if there was anything I could to help her through her loss? She is eating, thank goodness, but she is very nervous, she has always been a little skittish and nervous but Louie seemed to give her a bit of confidence, but now without him it is difficult to approach her without her running away.

I have given her a couple of soft toys which she seems to like for company, and I try to give her some extra attention, although its also hard for me with Louie no longer being here.

Obviously I know the best thing would be to give her another mate, but We are thinking of moving house in the next 6-12 months and dont want to think of adding another new pet just yet as we possibly may be moving a long way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm so sorry you lost Louie and I really feel for you and Twinkle. It sounds like you are doing all you can for her at the moment, I think rabbits, like humans, need time to come to terms with losing a partner. The only thing I can think of is that as getting her another friend is not an option just yet is it possible to leave the radio or tv on when you are not able to be with her so she doesn't feel so on her own?

well, Flopsy passed away leaving Zelda, and at first she was really lonely, but i gave her lots of attention and toys, and 2 months later she is happily living as a one bunny.

I heard that a soft toy can help if one is put in the hutch. They usauly cudding up to it.
Sorry for your lose.

m
xx

Hi there. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a similar situation as my bunny Jess died on Tuesday leaving behind her devoted friend Clover. Clover seems fine, a bit quiet but eating and drinking much the same. I have been trying to spend a bit more time playing with her and making a point of helping her groom herself :( . I don't know if its doing much good but I feel better knowing she has had some physical contact, even if its just me.

My bunny is lucky in some ways as she can still see my other bunnies in the other run and often hops out if she sees them out. This makes me sadder but I suppose it is good for her.

I have chosen not to do a radical clean out of the hutch and run just to leave some familiar smells lingering gradually for her over the next few days.

Just be confident when you are around her and it sounds like you are doing all you can to keep her spirits up.

Fiona x

Back