• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any Dental Experts about? - Update No Dental Issue

We've always left them and they've stopped a night afterwards. I think it was about £15 per night for Scarlet and her husbun to stay in. They were there one valentines, I told them it was a romantic break ;)

From my experience, you may be able to collect bunny on Thurs if all is straightforward. FHB does another consult on Thurs. She does like them in overnight Tues and Wed. She normally gets in about 10am so you can find out around then if they are OK to come home. If it is more complicated, they may be in longer but they are open over the weekend (even if FHB isn't in).

Mine have always come out with metacam (twice a day orally) and daily injections of Streptacare - the nurse will show you how to do it if needed.

Reception are very helpful. Have you asked them about buses from the railway station? It is a fair walk with a bunny in a carrier.

We've always left them and they've stopped a night afterwards. I think it was about £15 per night for Scarlet and her husbun to stay in. They were there one valentines, I told them it was a romantic break ;)

Oh thats good then as I could do with a good nights sleep :lol::lol:

Reception are very helpful. Have you asked them about buses from the railway station? It is a fair walk with a bunny in a carrier.

Don't think I'm going on the train now, by sheer coincidence my dad rung me yesterday to see how I was doing and when I told him about Jigsaw going to Harrogate he said he would drive me over to save me having to get on a train

These are his X-rays which were taken a week or so ago. I'm taking them with him on Tuesday.

IMG_20140222_124716120.jpg

IMG_20140222_124725590.jpg

I've left Jigsaw wit FHB today, she is going to check over him in full tomorrow when he's put under.

From the looks of it she says he is a really healthy rabbit and is struggling to see why he's refusing to eat hay along with going on and off his pellets. It could be a nerve issue in the jaw but there are also a couple of other areas on the x-ray she want's to double check, along with doing some more to re-image that area.

Each tooth will be examined in full to try and find the problem area, I'm hoping she finds something as then at least I have an answer as to what's up with him, today he was really lively which didn't help as he does also have his off days, I bet 1hr 45 mins sat in a carrier had something to do with been lively he wanted to stretch his legs :roll:

Is Jigsaw home? Did you get a diagnosis/plan of action.

He came home today picked him up at Noon, FHB words were he's a mystery as to why he stops eating.

His teeth are more or less perfect no issues there at all, she did some full body x-rays to look for other problems but everything looks fine, there is a small abnormality on the X-ray where it looks like at some point his lung and kidney could possibly have crossed over (stuck together) which may or may not have caused pain but thats all guesswork as she would have to open him up to check that and we haven't got to that stage.

He's eating pellets & veg which is good I just have to live with him not wanting any hay for now but at least I know there are no dental issues stopping him eating and he's obviously just feeling that way out at the moment :roll:

Good news, I guess. I've a few that x-rays suggest possible reasons for intermittant pain/not eating (such as possible surgical adhesions etc), so at least you have a possible answer.

What did she say about the abscess? As you haven't mentioned it I'm assuming that she doesn't feel there is one? It must be taking a bit of getting used to that he's probably not a 'dental bunny' afterall:? How strange.

What did she say about the abscess? As you haven't mentioned it I'm assuming that she doesn't feel there is one? It must be taking a bit of getting used to that he's probably not a 'dental bunny' afterall:? How strange.

Turns out thats nothing at all, it looks like it could of been from his original x-ray but she re-imaged him and checked over it and also had a good look around the mouth, the space which was a concern is all normal for him, so no abscess which is really good news

Great news!

Yeah I'm quite pleased as it means I can cut out dentals for now with him when he stops eating and just move on to pain meds etc

I'll be more happy when he decides its time to eat hay again but for now he's in good health

Bringing back an old thread to say that Jigsaw has finally (well last 4 weeks ish) reverted back to eating his normal diet of FibaFirst & hay, in the last 14 months or so he's refused to touch either.

He has been living on soaked pellets all this time as he wouldn't eat dry ones and would refuse to touch most nice tasty green stuff.

It's been a long time coming but he's finally back to been the bunny I remember

Last edited:
Wow that's a really old thread!
Well done jigsaw!

Yeah I knew I had posted about him at some point last year in February, I've tried so much to get him back to a normal diet but he would just refuse regardless of what I did :roll:

It was actually after coming back from the FHB conference in April that I thought enough is enough he has to start eating properly, especially with FHB saying they won't starve themselves if they are left with food to eat.

I cut out the pellets and left him with just hay and FibaFirst, he wouldn't touch any of them and didn't for 2 days, in fact I had to syringe feed him for those 2 days until he then decided it was time to eat hay & FibaFirst :wave: (sounds a bit drastic but I wasn't going to give in)

He's back to bouncing around like a lunatic and charging at me for his food, not done any of that since last year, he still doesn't want to touch the dried grasses but I can live with that as he's eating the main things that I wanted him to :love:

Yeah I knew I had posted about him at some point last year in February, I've tried so much to get him back to a normal diet but he would just refuse regardless of what I did :roll:

It was actually after coming back from the FHB conference in April that I thought enough is enough he has to start eating properly, especially with FHB saying they won't starve themselves if they are left with food to eat.

I cut out the pellets and left him with just hay and FibaFirst, he wouldn't touch any of them and didn't for 2 days, in fact I had to syringe feed him for those 2 days until he then decided it was time to eat hay & FibaFirst :wave: (sounds a bit drastic but I wasn't going to give in)

He's back to bouncing around like a lunatic and charging at me for his food, not done any of that since last year, he still doesn't want to touch the dried grasses but I can live with that as he's eating the main things that I wanted him to :love:

Dave you're an inspiration! Are you saying he didn't eat anything at all for two days? What did you syringe feed him?

Back