• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Angel post spay

natsusakura

Warren Veteran
So Angel had her spay this morning.
Both me and the vet agreed that taking her home after was the best idea, as she just gets too stressed out when staying in at the vets.
She's been hopping around gently and her pain seems to be under control, she's had a small drink of water and done a pee (on her fluffy bed :lol:)
But still not any interest in food or done any poos so far.
If she hasn't eaten by morning then obviously it'll be straight back to get a gut stimulant.
I only got her back home at 7 just there, but has anyone got any tips for trying to make her eat?
I've got herbs, hay, fenugreek crunchies, pineapple, banana and pellets there for her.
She wont accept syringe feeding anything as it stresses her, I've managed to get a tiny bit of mushed banana into her mouth and she licked it off.

Hope she eats soon, I hate to see her all doped up and sleepy :(

So Angel had her spay this morning.
Both me and the vet agreed that taking her home after was the best idea, as she just gets too stressed out when staying in at the vets.
She's been hopping around gently and her pain seems to be under control, she's had a small drink of water and done a pee (on her fluffy bed :lol:)
But still not any interest in food or done any poos so far.
If she hasn't eaten by morning then obviously it'll be straight back to get a gut stimulant.
I only got her back home at 7 just there, but has anyone got any tips for trying to make her eat?
I've got herbs, hay, fenugreek crunchies, pineapple, banana and pellets there for her.
She wont accept syringe feeding anything as it stresses her, I've managed to get a tiny bit of mushed banana into her mouth and she licked it off.

Hope she eats soon, I hate to see her all doped up and sleepy :(

Which is why she's not interested in food at the moment. You only brought her home 2 hours ago, so don't panic. Mine didn't eat properly when I brought them home until the following day. She has drank and weed, which is good. Don't stress her out by trying to force feed her else you will upset her. Leave her to snooze off the drugs and stuff and check her in the morning. Make sure she doesn't have to stretch for her hay and ensure that it is close to her, also the water supply. I'd scatter some of her fave foods on the floor so she doesn't have to struggle to get her head into a bowl. If she hasn't eaten by about 11am tomorrow, ring your vet.

Most rabbits won't eat properly until the next day, so please relax a bit if you can. Cover her cage if you feel the need (I did as the cage is all exposed and mine were used to an enclosed space at bedtime), leave her in peace and check her tomorrow.

Sending healing vibes :love:

She has a whole selection of foods on a wee plate next to her. Same with her hay and that.
I'm trying not to worry it's just so hard :lol:
I want her to poo!! :(
Ah i'll just have to wait and watch, i've left her in peace nice and comfortable dozing, next to he snugglesafe because her ears are a bit chilly.

Success she's eaten some sprigs of dill :)
I'm so happy she's had even that one little bit.
Now I just need to figure out how i'll give her the painkillers tomorrow.
As don't think she'll be up to eating much more than bits here and there, and she hates syringes.
Glad i've got a few days off :lol:

Its very normal for them not to eat. I paniced and took my girl back to the vets the next day and she stayed over night. She was fine. Just takes a few days for them to fully come around and eat properly. Obviously keep an eye on her and if you are worried call the vets in the morning.

I feel much better now she's had at least a wee something to eat.
How did you give the metacam? any wee tips? i'd like to avoid syringing her as she loathes it, but if she's gonnae be off her food for a couple of days i might have to. Definitely don't want her in pain.
She's sitting under her wee blanket just now with Parsley giving regular check ups :love:

Coco practically sucked the metacam out of the syringe, luckily :lol:

Thumper, however, hated it. This is what I did for Thumps:

Got some of her favourite pellet food, literally about 10 pellets, in a bowl. Very gradually drop by drop popped metacam on most of them. Pellets are absorbent so will soak it up - it takes a few minutes though. If you've used all the 10 pellets with metacam, mix in just a few more of ordinary unsoaked pellets (Thumper spotted the metacam ones when they were on their own but ate the lot when I mixed them in with a few dry ones, if you follow).

The only thing I had to do was push Coco off the pellets else she would have overdosed and Thumper wouldn't have had enough.

If you just have the one bunny, that's fine, but what I also did was held the bowl for her until she'd eaten the lot to make sure she did have them all straightaway - the dose needs to be taken altogether rather than bits here and there else it won't work.

Good luck!

(oh! some people mash it into a banana - Thumper refused this as she could still smell it, even though she loves bananas, so I wasted a dose there).

I couldn't syringe feed either but I swear by weetabix. Only a little bit, it soaks up the metacam and she loved it, so much easier than putting it on her pellets and also she was off her pellets for a few days after being spayed.

Doughnut didn't eat for about a day, I was beside myself with worry but after that op they must be tired and need to rest!

My friends rabbit needed antibiotics and they were both stressed out syringing. She tried weetabix and it worked a treat too.

Good luck

Last edited:
Had hardly any sleep last night :)
She seems ok, she's not in any obvious signs of pain, even though she only had half her metacam dose on some dill, and refused to eat the rest.
She's currently only wanting to eat bits of kale and hay here and there.
She's gone off all her usual fav's but at least she's eating something.
Parsley her husbunny was really nice last night, until he tried to hump Angel :shock:
He got a telling off, and was only allowed to lie down next to her from then on.
I've kept her in a separate ferplast cage to stop her moving around too much and she's sitting on her wee bed watching Parsley watching her.
So glad I got it done when I was on holiday from work, I don't know how i'd have coped if I had to go away to work :lol:

I couldn't syringe feed either but I swear by weetabix. Only a little bit, it soaks up the metacam and she loved it, so much easier than putting it on her pellets and also she was off her pellets for a few days after being spayed.

Doughnut didn't eat for about a day, I was beside myself with worry but after that op they must be tired and need to rest!

My friends rabbit needed antibiotics and they were both stressed out syringing. She tried weetabix and it worked a treat too.

Good luck

That sounds like a shout! I'll need to buy some when I go shopping :)

I took time off too. She had fibreplex as well to take and also I think an antibiotic, I can't remember now. She loves fibreplex though, which I only discovered after about 5 days of trying to disguise it, she licks it off the syringe!

I think they go for herbs first of all, like I say she wasn't interested in her pellets which panicked me as she normally begs for them.

Coco practically sucked the metacam out of the syringe, luckily
Parsley my wee guy bun loves his grub!
I've been training him with pineapple juice in the syringe and every time he sees it he's like TREAT?
:lol: He'll be so easy to give meds or syringe.
Angels much more fussy though, she's high maintenance as my boyfriend says :lol:

I honestly don't know what I would have done if I hadn't discovered the weetabix as can't pick Doughnut up and don't feel confident syringe feeding and too stressful. Only a little bit though, she would have had a whole one if I'd let her.
Let me know how you get on.:D

I took time off too. She had fibreplex as well to take and also I think an antibiotic, I can't remember now. She loves fibreplex though, which I only discovered after about 5 days of trying to disguise it, she licks it off the syringe!

I think they go for herbs first of all, like I say she wasn't interested in her pellets which panicked me as she normally begs for them.

I'm just glad she's eating wee bits here and there.
My vet has two practices, one which is 15 mins away and one which is 3 mins away.
So tomorrow even if Angel's eating ok and pooing (not seen poos yet, but i'm sure they're coming!) I'm still going to nip up just to get her checked over :)
It'll put my mind at ease if nothing else :lol:
Edit: meant to say she'll be at the vets closest to me tomorrow :)

Haha I remember that feeling. I think I lost weight worrying about Doughnut's eating and pooping or lack of it! At least she's got some metacam in her so you know she's not in pain. Were you given fibreplex as she may like that and it's a gut stimulant?

She only had her spay done yesterday so if she hadn't eaten it would have been today we went to the vets.
We didn't get fibreplex but I may ask my vet about that, the only thing is Angel actually backs away from a syringe, so giving it to her in that is a total no no ;)
She's a fussy bun :lol:
Currently lying sleeping, after nomming more dill :love:

Back