• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amy being spayed update: shes gone to the bridge

Gem said:
Oh no, Touie, I'm so sorry :cry:

Is there any indication as to why?

no :( they had finished the surgery and were about to wake her up when her heart stopped apparently :cry:

Touie, I posted to you under pics re your new bunny, and I hadn't realized you had lost your beautiful Amy so tragically. I am so very sorry and it must have been such a shock to you.

fluffiebunnie said:
I am so sorry to hear this. My bunny is being neutered tomorrow. I am so scared now. :( :(

I'm sure your bunny will be fine :) I have had 4 done and a chinchilla and only had a problem with Amy, there's a small risk but it's quite rare. I'll be scared to get another spayed now but i still think it's worth the risk as the cancer rate is so high in unspayed females.

I can't believe this happens. But like you say, cancer rate is 80% for unspay female, so there isn't really of a choice. It's so rare that a heart stop under the surgery like this.

Very sorry for your loss.

Dear Touie
So sorry to hear about Amy, I know how you feel though as it has happened to me with buns twice and a guinea pig once. The vets assured me that it is a rare thing to happen, although it doesn't stop you being frantic for the next time.

Sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.
xx

I am so sorry to hear about Amy. I went through similar about 3weeks ago. One of my buns Smoky had only gone in for a dental I phoned up to see how he was and they were just about to do him, 3mins later I got the dreaded call to say he had passed away just as they were giving him the anaesethic.
Binky free Amyxxxxx

Back